PeacemakerJack

Favorite Car Films

PeacemakerJack

All this talk of hot rods, vintage cars and trucks, and the Christmas vacation time off, has made me think of some of my favorite car flicks.  I'm curious what you guys think of when you think of a classic car film.  The only criteria that I will place is that a car must have a prominent role in at least part of the film.  Have you noticed that nearly every movie, tv show, and even many commercials showcase classic or vintage cars.  My thought is that those cars have so much personality and Charisma that placing them on screen creates a mood.  It is like adding another character. Being a car guy myself, I totally dig it!  

These films could be like Christine where the movie is titled after the car...

image.jpeg

a 1958 Plymouth Fury.

Or a supporting cast car like...

image.jpeg

The blue 1968 charger from the same film.  

It it could be a movie like "Gone in 60 Seconds" loaded with cool cars and driving.  How many of you are familiar with the original low budget "Gone in 60 seconds" made in the early 70's before CGI.  They did real stunt driving and wrecked over 150 cars!  

My personal favorite is the film that launched the careers of a bunch of actors...image.jpeg

It was depicting a night in 1962 and is loaded with classic machines.  Two of my favorites are John Milners Deuce Coupe and Bob Falfas '55 Chevy...

image.jpeg

I love it when Toad says, "Nobody can beat John Milner..." And Falfa interrupts him by saying, "I ain't nobody dork!"  Classic film.  Speaking of cars, the '55 used in that film was first used in a low budget film called "Two Lane Blacktop" starring a very young Dennis Wilson (of beach boys fame) and the now famous singer James Taylor.  

image.jpeg

it featured a cross country race between them and that 1970 GTO.  

Let me know what you guys like.  

I'm a car guy through and through. My grandfathers first car was a 1937 Pontiac. He owned pontiacs for most of the rest of his life. My dad and all his siblings but one owned pontiacs as their first vehicles and so ill always be partial to them.  However, I don't care if it is a Mopar, Blue Oval, Bowtie, or "What the Dr. Ordered"---I like em all. 

• Like 5

AMC RULES

Image result for the munsters cars

Those Barris creations were always sooo...cool.  :clap:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 3

PeacemakerJack

No doubt! How about two more classic Barris creations that headlined tv shows...

image.jpeg

the original Batmobile 

and

image.jpeg

the Monkeemobile!

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 2

pfrederi

Bullitt

MV5BMTM0MzE1MjY2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzMyOTIyNw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1468,1000_AL_.jpg

MV5BMTQyMTc2NzUzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODIyOTIyNw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1497,1000_AL_.jpg

• Like 8

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: no car movie collection can be complete without that one!  Nothing like a '68 Mustang and Charger chasing each other all across San Fran just driving Hammer down!!!!:auto-layrubber: 

AMC RULES

PeacemakerJack

how about the most Famous Charger of all time...

image.jpeg

The General Lee!

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 6

AMC RULES

Ever seen this one?  :scratchead:

• Like 4

AMC RULES

• Like 3

SPINJIM

I love the VW bus.  I had a couple of them back in the 60s and 70s, but they were nothing like that one.   Beautiful work.

I wonder what he could do to a Wheel Horse.

Jim

• Like 3

Razkid

Bullitt is at the top of the list! Vanishing Point is another good one.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

• Like 2

953 nut

Being a stock car race fan the first two that come to mind are "Six Pack" and "Stroker Ace. Related image

Image result for stroker aceImage result for stroker ace

• Like 3

pfrederi

Bullitt was made before CGI and all that stuff.  It is still the BEST car chase ever in my book.  Newer ones with CGI may look great but they ain't real.

007 had a nice car as did Auric Goldfinger  (His car was also featured in the movie The Yellow Roll-Royce

007a.jpg

007b.jpg

• Like 5

AMC RULES

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack
39 minutes ago, Razkid said:

Bullitt is at the top of the list! Vanishing Point is another good one.

Vanishing Point was a classic car cult film.  That 1970 white Challenger is amazing...

image.jpeg

To think what that car is worth today!!:-o

• Like 3

AMC RULES

• Like 6

953 nut

Speaking of car movies, how about "CARS"?

Image result for cars movie

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: "Tow---Mater" average intelligence!  :ROTF:That is a fun CARtoon!

• Like 1

Thor27

H.B. Halicki's original 1974 Vanishing Point. 

toby-halicki-1973-ford-mustang.jpg

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

The French Connection :auto-layrubber:and Brannigan :auto-layrubber:

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

ACman

Watch the last crash of the challenger in vanishing point it's acutely a Camaro  :confusion-scratchheadblue: .

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Now come on "Pontiac Jack" (sorry I had too) Smokey and the Bandit and The Driver 2 with Trans Ams,...

• Like 4

PeacemakerJack
11 minutes ago, ACman said:

Watch the last crash of the challenger in vanishing point it's acutely a Camaro  :confusion-scratchheadblue: .

So that is what I call a "transformer"!!!! Wow!

image.jpeg

This is a behind the scenes obviously before the crash pic of the "Challaro".  

image.jpeg

Anyone familiar with cars can tell that this is definitely not a challenger...

image.jpeg

GM f-body for sure!  

So now for the big question...WHY?  

My my guess would be that this film was released in 1971 and these were a brand new model of cars in 1970.  They would be more pricey than a 3-4 year old Camaro.  But I'm just guessing...

15 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Now come on "Pontiac Jack" (sorry I had too) Smokey and the Bandit and The Driver 2 with Trans Ams,...

:laughing-rofl:

It came to mind right away but I'm looking to see what interested parties say!  The Bandit was and is an all time iconic car!  The 1976 Trans Am was the 50th anniversary of the Pontiac moniker.  They created the SE package for that model year which included all the gold pinstripping on the black paint.  Apparently it was well liked by the people behind the film and they said, "that is what we want!"  The movie was an instant success and then as usually happens, life imitates art and everyone wanted a Bandit!  So Pontiac made them for multiple model years...

image.jpeg

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack
32 minutes ago, Thor27 said:

H.B. Halicki's original 1974 Vanishing Point. 

toby-halicki-1973-ford-mustang.jpg

This was the original "Gone in 60 seconds", you can see it on the door.  HB jumped this car around 125-150ft and suffered permenant back damage from it.  He was only 3-7 ft off of the ground throughout the jump because he was following a hill down.  However the car hit hard when it came in contact with the ground! Fortunately he had multiple cameras set up because he only made the jump once! He was a great stunt driver and could do some amazing tricks with a car.  He wasn't much of an actor--but definitely a car guy.

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 2