stratostar250

1992 520-H, light restore

dclarke

Good luck with your 520, looks like a nice one. 

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

A nice Winter project! keep the pictures coming.

• Like 1

ACman

Keep those :text-coolphotos: coming  @stratostar250  ... looks like a You started with a good one .

Hope to see yea at the"BIG SHOW" this year with my 520 too :) !

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Geeze...you weren't kidding Tom...

she was a dirty girl.   :huh:

• Like 3

cschannuth
9 hours ago, stratostar250 said:

Well, I kept slightly quiet about this tractor on the forum, I put a pic in the "What's In Your Mirror" thread, but that was about it.  I got a 92 520-H, It ran and drove great, had no real issues, except it was pretty dirty and needed a paint job, because the tractor paint was quite faded, and someone had painted something in the vicinity of it once, because it was covered in some overspray of something.  I am going for more of a refresh, more than a full restore.  My plan is to take every thing down as far as I can, E-tank any rusty parts which are reusable and get new parts of which were unusable, Power wash the frame and transaxle, do some sanding and painting without going to crazy on those parts, sanding and painting the tins and rims, and probably putting a new set of tires on it, because 2 of them leak and the rears are mis-matched.  

Here are two pics of the tractor before:

520.jpg

520A.jpg

And as of today, I have her about 95% disassembled.  Just a few odd parts, like the steering parts, and brake pedal and such, but I am so excited to get this project started! I am really excited for the outcome! I mean, it took me about a month to take everything apart, and I can only imagine how fun putting everything back together will be after taking it apart :angry-banghead:, but I know that almost any tractor from here on out will be easier, because these just have so many parts.  But just want to get it done for the show this year! :tools-hammerdrill:

520N.jpg

This will be fun to follow. 

• Like 2

stratostar250

Thanks for all your support guys! I'm so excited to start getting into this!

Zeek

You went down pretty far on that, can't wait to see the results! :popcorn:

• Like 2

608KEB

I found the same tread tires and correct size on ebay for your rear tires.  They weren't made by Dico. I'll take a pic of the tires and post it. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Carlisle makes the "Dico" tread pattern now under "Turf Trac R/S", fronts and rears, Jeff.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2

stratostar250

Well guys, I know I'm going a bit slow, but I've finally have it 98-100% torn down, of course, the tires will come off of course, just leaving them on just for moveability, and i MIGHT take off the steering components, but I'm not too sure, may, may not.  Time will tell.  But, I am pretty much at the power washing phase, but of course....its winter....gotta figure out how to get around this one.  

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

Edited by stratostar250
  • Like 6

WVHillbilly520H

I used "Purple Power" and a scraper/putty knife and lots of rags/ blue paper towels clean my filthy 236 hour 520H last spring because it was in my FIL's garage with his Harley worked pretty good till I got it running and back outside ,maybe check out my "Good Friday 520 cleanup" , good luck with your project ,Jeff.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Have a local coin op car wash Tom?  :scratchead:

• Like 3

608KEB

If your steering is not as tight as you'd like. There are some things you can do. I would replace the front steering bushing. They are very inexpensive. I wrapped some 5000ths shim stock around the inside of the steering block.I also put new bushings on the steering shaft. Others will probably chime in with some suggestions too. Looks good so far!

• Like 1

stratostar250
On 1/17/2017 at 6:16 AM, AMC RULES said:

Have a local coin op car wash Tom?  :scratchead:

There is one about 10 minutes away.  Might have to throw it on the trailer.  :auto-swerve:

On 1/17/2017 at 3:01 PM, 608KEB said:

If your steering is not as tight as you'd like. There are some things you can do. I would replace the front steering bushing. They are very inexpensive. I wrapped some 5000ths shim stock around the inside of the steering block.I also put new bushings on the steering shaft. Others will probably chime in with some suggestions too. Looks good so far!

Thanks!  I'll keep this in mind.  The steering was actually pretty decent, though, so I probably will not.  

• Like 1

stratostar250

I know it has been months....but finally, progress. :whistle::dance:. Now...i have 22 days... I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.:tools-hammerdrill:

IMG_20170530_235957_855.jpg.bb0367eab4149b14801b21da3abd30c3.jpg

• Like 5

squonk

Keep on truckin! when I redid Marvin, My C-145 I bought all the parts at the show including a new trans and had it finished for a show the first week in August. :)

• Like 1

stratostar250

I'm so glad today was such a beautiful day.  I learned a whole lot.  Paint didn't totally come out super nice, but decent enough.  Mediocre results, but I'm just happy I did it.  And it's good enough, considering she's gonna be a worker.  This way I don't have to worry about scratching it. :handgestures-thumbsup:  But I also cannot believe how much I got done in one day!!  :happy-partydance:  I did prep everything, which I did not take pics of.  Did some sanding/wire brushing/cleaning with mineral spirits to everything before it got the paint.  I'm for sure using primer next time.  :doh:(Rookie me) :whistle: but, just some small odds and ends left to paint, and I'm gonna paint the tins of the Onan, as well.  Then some assembly, some stickers, and she should be all done!

1.jpg.227f8e033d65f80038e9909810397c5c.jpg

2.jpg.d36dcb1e6ae0766b9fba6765039f7ec3.jpg

3.jpg.730df7cd59bbaaa489c3ea076f68e8c7.jpg

• Like 6

Texas Todd

Then the really fun part begins. Putting a brand new tractor back together!!! And trying to find the correct bolt! Haha

• Like 3

stratostar250
1 hour ago, Texas Todd said:

Then the really fun part begins. Putting a brand new tractor back together!!! And trying to find the correct bolt! Haha

Ugh, I forgot all about that part :angry-banghead::angry-banghead::angry-banghead: hahaha

• Like 2

stratostar250

She's on her own feet now! And now with new meaty shoes!! 8-)

20170607_002343.jpg.397b151f3acf1dcb0c7810f6aca91eea.jpg

• Like 7

stratostar250

Getting there... :tools-hammerdrill::dance:

20170610_155445.jpg.bebf03d793b59cb02abaf7dd3405f9d4.jpg

• Like 3

stratostar250

:greetings-clappingyellow::text-woo:

Just gotta pull the motor tins, clean the engine, and probably paint the motor tins, and shes just about all set, except for the seat and some odds and ends!

20170611_215535.jpg.31fde1914376a468e4b26b85c7bbf2e7.jpg

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Lookin good to, nice job.    :bow-blue:

Glenn

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Looking good! I have those same rear tires on my 522xi and I LOVE them. They are VERY grippy and they will not tear up the turf as long as you don't spin them... Whatever. You. Do. Don't. Spin them. :doh:

• Like 1