kpinnc

Pics of the Bronco 14's 3 point

Greg B.

In my shop, it was called draw. As you weld, the two pieces tend to draw towards each other. There are techniques for dealing with it, but most of the ones I know inclove jigs or fixtures and they are all dependent on the article being welded. I know that in boat building and hot rod frames, I would make one weld, then move over and make the corresponding opposite weld, on the other side. This works fairly well.

Somewhere, in this terrific group, there has to be someone who can explain it properly. If not, check out the welding section of the link below.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

Greg B.

kpinnc

Thanks Greg. That's basically what I've been trying. Sort of "heavy tacking" one side and the moving over to the other, repeat, and so on.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out!

Kevin

kpinnc

At some point, I'm gonna finish this mod! :thumbs:

I keep having to shave a little here, brace a little there, and it's still dragging along.

Anyway, here's a few more pics, with an explanation of the "slows" where needed:

Had to once again take a little more off the notch in the fender. Not sure where I originally decided to reduce the size by 1/2 inch, but it's right this time!

muledrive056.jpgmuledrive055.jpg

At the full up position, the top link still gets VERY close to the rear of the seat. I'm glad I decided to move it!

muledrive059.jpgmuledrive058.jpg

muledrive061.jpg

It's close, but I can live with it. Talk about a pinch point!

I have to take the center links to a machine shop this coming Monday. Try as I might, I can't drill them straight for tapping to put the Heim joints in. Same for the steering tie rods. Hopefully THEN I'll get her tested out!

Kevin

combatmp29r

Looking Great kevin :thumbs: An excellent bit of fabrication, and a great project.

Nick

Looks like the hitch is coming along nice. Bet you cant wait to hang something back there for a good test run. Have you got any attachments for it yet? Keep the pictures coming they are giving me all kinds of ideas. :thumbs:

One more question. How wide is the Wheel horse Cat 0 hitch at the attachment? The sites have looked at say 20" drawbar width for Cat 0.

kpinnc

Thanks Joel!

Nick, I think 20 inches is correct. The reason I am not positive on the WH 3pt is because my lower arms got the krap bent out of them. The PO must've backed up against something pretty hard! I'm having the straightened with a hydraulic press at a machine shop next week. If you look closely at my pics, you'll see the left one looks awful!

I'm making a Brinly "look-alike" A-frame drawbar as my first "implement", and that's the width I'm going with. Check this site out:

http://ihregistry.com/ref/cat0.html

It gives all the measurements, so I'm using it as a starting point with mine. Also, I have a dual gang disc setup, and I'm trying to make it look like a Brinly DD-1000:

aag1.jpg

It's all done except the top bracing. I HOPE my hitch will pick it up, cause that sucker is already HEAVY!

And yes, I'm itching to try it out. Gotta get some suitcase weights for up front!

How on earth are you planning to squeeze all this in the back of the Load Ranger? I just got a LR, and I can't believe how small it is! Makes me appreciate your work even more!

Kevin

Nick

Thanks for the link Kevin. I bet that disc is heavy! The length is going to put a real good load on the tractor and let you know if the front is going to need weight. If its not too bad maybe front wheel weights will do the job. At one time Dale had some nice pictures on his website using small drilled and bolted on lifting weights as lower cost wheel weights.

Im just planing the 3pt for now and have not even started building yet so things might get interesting when I do try to fit it all onto the Ranger. The hydraulics could also end up being a problem.

Nick

kpinnc

Got a few more things done today. Got two new hydraulic lines made up, and installed. So far, so good. The lift arms raise up and down with no binding, and all the sheet metal is clear of the travel. Unfortunately, the lower arms are bent so badly that they DO bind when I raise them. this is mainly because of the design of the center links. I finished them today as well, and the design was intentionally somewhat "snug" in how they fit on the lower arms. Once I get them straightened, IT'S FINISHED! :thumbs:

Here are the center links I made up. I'll post pics of the finished product hopefully soon:

muledrive065.jpg

muledrive066.jpg

Hopefully, It'll be done tomorrow. We'll see...

Kevin

69DEZ

:D It feels good... Making something. Nice job!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Stigian

How did i miss this thread :thumbs::thumbs::D

Very nice fab work Kevin :P well thought out and very well made :D

As 69Dez says, It feels good... Making something :P

kpinnc

Unfortunately, I've been unable to get much done on this in the past couple weeks. Mom's car wreck, and entirely too much going on at work has nearly brought the project to a halt!

I do have the draft arms straightened now. I finished the center links over a week ago, but I may change those a bit. I think they are too long, and just don't allow for a great deal of lateral movement. More testing will tell the tale...

IM000771.jpgIM000767.jpg

One from the side:

IM000769.jpg

Slowly but surely!

Kevin

Rollerman

Looks very nice Kevin...can't wait to see it all finshed holding an implement up with the whole tractor in the shot.

Are you bringing it to PA or traveling light?

And...how is your Mom doing?..hopefully healing fast & not in so much pain.

Greg B.

That 3pt is looking really nice, Kevin, and I echo Stephen's concerns about your mom.

Greg B.

kpinnc

Stephen and Greg,

Thanks for asking, she's doing much better. My wife found a wheel chair, a walker, and an electric recliner that stands her up. For the first time in two weeks, she is getting around the house by herself! It takes a few minutes, but she's quite happy with the newfound mobility! :thumbs: The doctors have decided against surgey on her foot, which is a good thing. Her foot should be well on it's way to healing in about 6 weeks. The ribs (they found 2 more broken ones on a CT scan, for a total of 6) are just gonna take time. She says it only hurts when she laughs- quite literally. She is in good spirits, and knows she is lucky to have gotten out of the accident with only the injuries she has, and knows fully there are many people dealing with more problems than she has. She's a pretty tough one!

As far as the 3 point- Stephen, I really want this and my disc set finished in time to take to the show. But if for some crazy reason I can't get it done, I want to bring at least ONE machine. Time will tell, I guess.

Right now I'm stuck trying to find a way to brace up the frame and relieve some stress on it where the tranny bolts up. TT's recent posts about frames breaking there has me concerned about mine just because of the way my 3 point will distribute the load. My disc set is heavy, and will be extended out behind the machine quite a bit. Of course, I think it will load the frame there the most when lifting the implement. I'm toying with some ideas, and I'm also wondering just how much those 4 little bolts will hold before they fail... :thumbs:

Thinking of making a brace between the mount plate on the tranny and the underside of the battery box and steering sector of the frame. All bolt up stuff that can be moved from one machine to another. Oh well, we'll see...

Anyway, thanks again for asking about mom, and thanks for the comps on the hitch. It'll be finished eventually!

Kevin

PetesPonies

any new progress with this?

kpinnc

Hey Pete, welcome to Redsquare!

Got some testing done, made a few small improvements. It's basically ready to start getting the whole machine painted up.

The mechanical portion is finished. Now for the dirty work!

Here's some pics of some testing:

Thanks for asking!

Kevin

• Like 1