can whlvr

enough snow yet

can whlvr

so I know we love seat time,thats what this hobby is all about right,but this year up here in my area (central south Ontario)we have had snow many times already,a couple that were over 10 inches,in my new job as a groundskeeper for a large estate I do snow at work,and lots of it,ya I have a brand new 35 hp deere with all the attachments but then I come home and have a lot,i do about 1000 feet at home so its no 1/2 hour job,and its been windy so its no fun with the blower,i have an old homemade cab that fits my c160 but I use my 414 for blowing now so I'm gonna make it fit,havnt installed it in years because we havnt had much snow but this year is like an old fashioned winter,so how much snow have you guys received this year so far,im curios to find out,sorry no pics right now cant find my cable for phone to puter

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

So officially we are at 62" as of yesterday but received another 5.5" last night. We are 8+ inches over last year.  I say officially as these measurements are taken at a  weather station about 12 miles from us. We live in the snow belt which receives a lot of Lake affect snow. I'm sure that we are well over 70 inches so far this year.

image.jpg

• Like 4

squonk

We had 2 feet just before Thanksgiving and nothing bust dustings since.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Less than 2" so far this year.      :confusion-waiting:

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

We got about 1/4" yesterday! It lasted for about 15 minutes when the sun came out. No wonder I just have a tractor with a blade ready.  :occasion-snowman:

• Like 4

Digger 66
17 hours ago, Fun Engineer said:

We live in the snow belt which receives a lot of Lake affect snow

Good to hear from others who live along the Great-Lakes snowbelt .

Most folks don't know just how much snow these winds combined with warm lake waters can produce .

Just south of me ( snowmobile heaven ) there's roughly two feet on the ground right now .

Here's a pic or two from the storm in '14 ( Snowvember :banana-dance: ) that dropped around seven feet in 4 days . That's my (lifted) Silverado in the 2nd pic :)  .

IMG_1270_zps9c63727a.jpg

IMG_1268_zpsefc938b4.jpg

• Like 7

T-Mo

I hear of the huge amounts of snow fall the lake regions get, and I'm again thankful for the fact I live in Missouri, where 3 inches can be classified as a snow storm.:laughing-rofl:

• Like 2

can whlvr

we got another 5 inches yesterday,we have surpassed last years toal by far,i too am in a snow belt due to the great lakes and good old lake effect

Edited by can whlvr

Digger 66

Plenty , thanks .

My normal 10/12 minute ride home from work took about an hour and a half because people seem to think "all-season" tires are "good enough" for Western NY Lake Effect Snow .

All tolled about 2 feet fell in about 6 hours !

Seems I wasn't the only one spinning my tires .

I hate to "plug" a certin tire but for anyone wanting the best snow tire (short of studding) Bridgestone Blizzaks really kick tail !

http://wivb.com/2017/01/06/residents-digging-out-after-lake-effect-storm-slams-south-towns/

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1

mmmmmdonuts

We got Blizzaks for my wife's Accord (and the Civic she had before). Night and day difference in performance in the snow and ice. The only thing is they don't get as many miles on them because they are much softer.

One other thing with them. If you buy your regular all season tires at BJ's wholesale club they will switch over the tires on the same rims for free each year at wintertime. We run a separate set of smaller rims in the winter so the salt can ruin the cheaper rims instead. 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

When I lived in Illinois, where it always snows each winter unlike MD, borrowing on my Swedish ancestry I drove Saabs and one Volvo. The Saabs had Nokian Hakkepollita snow tires (a Finnish tire brand) on their own rims that I changed over each Fall and Spring. Never got stuck as they always worked in snow. The Volvo was a V70XC with AWD so it managed to do without snow tires.

The Scandinavians really know what works in winter!

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

can whlvr

we run winters on my wifes Pontiac torrent,its all wheel and is amazing in the winter,we got another couple storms since I started this post,and we got a melt in between,it rained for 24 hoursa few days ago now its -16 today

can whlvr

well here we go again,another colorodo low and our north winds are gonna give us a another snow event

6wheeler

We have about 4" inches here. We have been getting mostly freezing rain in the last several storms.Or, they just go North with just light dusting. My folks live 220 mi.northwest of here and they have 25+ inches on the ground. And once again? Tomorrow afternoon into Tuesday AM? Freezing Rain turning to Snow after midnight. 2-4 " snow accumulation possible after 1/4" of more ICE:auto-swerve::auto-crash:.  Talk about a weird winter. Last week? -10 to -20 farenheit over night w/-40 windchill. And now they are forcasting +35 farenheit after this next Rain/Snow event. Go figure...... C-mon Spring:auto-dirtbike:

• Like 1

cleat

My yard is now almost bare and the forecast is two weeks of above freezing temps.

Weird winter, seems people to the south and North of me are getting hit harder.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Very lean Winter for snow. One 3 incher and a few dustings.

• Like 1

953 nut

Last Friday we has six inches; got some seat time plowing the driveway.  :woohoo:   This Friday it was sunny and 70* and I worked in the :wh: barn in short sleeves.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

can whlvr

ya its been really up and down here with the temps,we don't have much snow left,its ice,about 6 inches thick,weve had way more rain then snow,but we did get a lot in December,then it gets warm and rains and melts,we get freezing rain about once a week here,were used to it where I live,but this yearhas been the worst for ice,i live on a gravel road and when the snow pack gets rained on it naturally turns to ice,at least once a week here we could skate on the roads(just the gravel roads)and the last one last week the neighbor kids were skatin on the road and their drive,gettin another one tomorow

• Like 2