Five Years Ago

JimmyJam

AMEN to that! Long live Wheel Horse!!!!

• Like 5

WheelHorse79

In memory of a great American!!!

• Like 8

JimmyJam

Amen to that! As a result of his dedication to Wheel Horse, an American-made machine lives on in American hearts and beyond globally! Amen and praise to Cecil! 

:bow-blue:

Edited by JimmyJam
  • Like 6

SylvanLakeWH

:bow-blue:

• Like 3

WHX??

Here here. :bow-yellow: :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:                    Our loss has been God's gain! 

6-4-1924.jpg

• Like 9

Retired Wrencher

Upper Canada  I couldn't agree more. This is the best and easiest site to be on. I like vintage Ariens blowers I have a few it is not like being on  this site. So My :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:  to Mr Pond and this site for making our lives a little better every day.

• Like 5

953 nut

Cecil Pond was an American businessman, inventor, and entrepreneur. He was the founder of Wheel Horse Products Co. Inc., and was the primary inventor of the modern American Garden Tractor and riding mower.

Pond was born in South Bend, Indiana, to Elmer and Ann Marie Pond. He graduated from South Bend's former Washington-Clay High School, and served in the U.S. Army during World War II. In 1946, Pond returned to South Bend and in June of that year, married Betty Alber Pond. Mr. & Ms. Pond were the parents of three children: son Gary Pond, and two daughters, Linda and Constance.

1946 saw the beginnings of Pond's manufacturing future. Pond joined his father Elmer, who at the time was building two-wheel lawn tractors (which the operator would walk behind) from angle iron, surplus motorcycle and automotive parts in his garage. At first, the Ponds' company was simply called Pond Tractor Company; however, they discovered another family member owned a similarly-named company. "Wheel Horse" was then chosen, and the name stayed with the company even after its acquisition by Toro.

In the late forties, military veterans returning from World War II began moving to the vast new suburbs then transforming the American landscape. Their suburban homes had larger lots that demanded more attention—and the Ponds' riding mower found many ready buyers as a result.

In 1954, Pond introduced his first 4-wheel lawn tractor, an event which altered substantially the lawn care manufacturing business. By 1957, his Wheel Horse Products Company recorded sales over $1 million (US$8,425,355 in 2016 dollars.) for the first time. Just two years later, the company's sales more than doubled, to $4.5 million (US$36,529,110 in 2016 dollars).

In 1975, Pond sold Wheel Horse Products to American Motors Corporation. At the time of the sale, Pond oversaw over 500 workers at his plant and over 3,000 dealers were selling the brand.

Cecil Pond was born 6-4-1924 and passed away December 30, 2011.

• Like 8

chris sutton

I had the great honour and prevalige to meet Mr Pond at the big show when he and Mike signed my book, the next day i managed to chat with him at length and he signed the hood of my Suburban 400.

God bless you Sir, a true legend 

• Like 6

WHX??

Please tell us you still have that  hood Chris!

• Like 4

chris sutton
50 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Please tell us you still have that  hood Chris!

Yes I still have the 400, I bought the tractor from Bob Rock a couple of months before the show and he very kindly took it over for me, I drove it in the parades both days and around the site before shipping it back to England

• Like 5

elliot ness

Thanks for the memories Cecil .:text-bravo:

• Like 3

formariz
6 hours ago, chris sutton said:

I had the great honour and prevalige to meet Mr Pond at the big show when he and Mike signed my book, the next day i managed to chat with him at length and he signed the hood of my Suburban 400.

God bless you Sir, a true legend 

Many of us collect all kinds of stuff and even spend all kinds of money for "signed" items. But how many of us have things in our lives that we not only collect but also  love and admire and have the opportunity of having the person responsible for them sign that item? And no certificate of authenticity needed since we were there in person witnessing it, photographing it, and shaking the man's hand. Perhaps not priceless but certainly treasured.

IMG_4223.JPG

Edited by formariz
  • Like 7

Docwheelhorse

My original Wheel Horse (Commando 8) that I had Cecil sign at his last appearance sits comfortably in my garage....

I have "heroes" such as John Wayne etc...

But only ONE real hero---Cecil Pond!

Tony

• Like 7