nrowles

Using Snow Blower vs. Blade vs. Other Tractor

nrowles

I have a 1981 C-145 that I got a couple years ago.  I have a snow blower and a blade for it.  In the past I had a 4x4 atv with a plow that I used.  I sold that and bought a 1966 Massey Ferguson 135 with a loader (does not have bucket float).  My drive that I will be plowing is a stone 125' lane and then goes into a tear drop shape about 100'x70'.  I only have the one Wheel Horse (which was my grandfathers) and I'm not going to buy another one to have both the blower and blade mounted at same time.  The Wheel Horse has chains & wheel weights but I do not have chains for the Massey which will run me about $350.  So I have a couple questions on this.  

What are your determining factors when using the blower vs the blade?  Moisture?  Depth (what depth?)?  Etc.  The blade is easy to swap but the blower is a little more of a pain.  If I thought it through I could probably make some kind of setup to make it easier though.

What would your approach be, given that I have the blower and blade for the Wheel horse and I have another tractor with a bucket?  I plan to put all/most the snow in the one end of the driveway (I have a lot of room) so when it melts I can drag the stones back and not have them in the yard/woods.  Use both tractors at same time?

• Like 2

MalMac

I have a two gravel drives I do, one being 70 ft and one being 280 ft plus 60x48 lot. I use the plow 99% of the time, especially if it's wet. I don't even consider the blower for wet snow. The only time the blower goes out is when we get big drifts. I bust them down with that then clean up with the blade. There have been times when drifts were big and frozen that I brought out the tractor with the loader on it to break them up. To me blowers are a pain with wet snow, and especially with gravel drives.

• Like 3

maxiblue

Hello:

In the passed I have a snow blower, blade and loader, found in most cases the blower was the fastest for removing most snow. Wet or frozen some times need to use the blade or the loader. loader is good for stacking  the snow. Right now I'm down to just a loader, sold the blade and the snow blower does not run, working on the snow blower and next year I will have another blade for my D-250's. Then will have all 3 again.

Edited by maxiblue
  • Like 5

DougC

Like MalMac I use the blade for everything since My driveway and parking areas are rock. I use the snow blower tractor on the cement parking pad in front of the house where it always drifts terribly during a winter storm.

The snow thrower becomes a rock throwing weapon and is much to dangerous for me to use on my rocked areas, not to mention the damage to the impeller the rocks cause.:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

WHX??

I used to plow/blade everything but got tired of spring cleanup.... 3/8 gravel to rake by the tub load and if you don't rake the mower takes a beating. Also took longer to over plow to make sure there is room for the next snow. Went to blowing since we had the driveway blacktopped and never looked back.  Was worried about blades marring the blacktop but chains do too if the wheels spin too much.   Sold the truck plow and outfitted the 520 properly. Still have a blade for the 4-wheeler for cleanup work and like Mal says the sloppy stuff. Lots of guys move snow with a loader but I could never get the hang of it, too much forward/reversing. That's were a hydro comes in nice.

8 hours ago, nrowles said:

and I'm not going to buy another one to have both the blower and blade mounted at same time.

You obviously don't have the addiction most of us here have! :)

• Like 3

953 nut

I don't have a blower because most of the snow we get is wet and heavy. I plow it off to one side of the driveway then use the loader to clear the accumulation. I use the loader bucket tilted forward to drag the snow from our gravel turnaround onto the paved drive then scoop it up. In colder climates a blower may be good, but not here.

WVHillbilly520H

I have never really had a problem with wet heavy snow with the tall chute single and my 520H (unless it was DOT plow banks at the end of the drive) and my old driveway was dirt/sandstone/gravel, yes it was hard on the auger even with the skids set to high because of how uneven the lane/tracks were by winter, now with the 2stage no problems at all with wet heavy or DOT plow banks but I'm now on asphalt vs gravel (P.O. ran it on a gravel drive and see all kinds of gravel dents in the impeller drum, but never could push wet heavy snow like I throw/blow it just my :twocents-02cents:, and past January in WV even my 4x4 Kioti with loader wasn't a good experience in 2' + and frozen on top, really needed the front blade (that I just finished converting for it last month) over the loader/rear blade combo,Jeff.

IMAG2588.jpg

IMAG2582.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG2613.jpg

IMAG2608.jpg

• Like 7

PeacemakerJack

I personally think that if you have the room for two garden tractors that one blower and one blade tractor is the way to go.  I have that combo on a 300' total gravel drive length plus a healthy 30'x50' turn around area and I find it works great  Mind you, I don't often add fresh gravel to mine and so it is nearly like a solid surface drive on much of it.  I set the skid shoes at about 1.25" for height and blow everything that is 6" or more.  Anything that is wet and sloppy or less than 6" gets the blade.  The Blower does a much better job at tackling the heavy and or deep stuff but with my hydro turn blade, I can clean my whole drive in about 45 min vs 1.5 hours on the blower.  If you are thinking $350 for a set of chains, you can probably buy another horse to fit your needs with a blade for that price (especially in PA!).:twocents-02cents:

• Like 8

WHX??

That compact looks like a real handy tractor to have around the ranch Jeff. :handgestures-thumbupright: Chains on all four tho.... really necessary? My back hurts just thinkin about have to put them on!   The other week on a call I couldn't get in a customers driveway for a no heat call and the drive wasn't plowed so the neighbor came over with his Ford or New Holland compact FEL ....It was dark out and blue that's all I know! He had no chains on at all and no weight on the 3 PT, not even a back blade,   but cleared it out in no time.  You could tell he was really really good at running his tractor.

nrowles

Seems like the most popular here is the blade. especially with a stone drive.  But a lot of variation between how you guys do it.  I guess I will just have to figure out on my own what works best for my situation.  I really don't want to use the loader so maybe I will use the blower for deeper/drier snow and then the blade for the rest if I can figure out how to do a quick swap.  My atv was definitely pretty quick so I hope I don't get too frustrated with this tractor being a bit smaller and slower.

18 hours ago, WHX9 said:

You obviously don't have the addiction most of us here have! :)

My grandfather passed away a couple years ago.  I had to have this tractor at that point so I bought it from his estate.  He bought it new in 1981.  Had many memories of it.  Can't really say I needed it but I'm glad I have it.  So you are correct, I don't have the addiction and that's why I made that statement of not getting any more, it is more of a sentimental thing for me.  I plan to do a basic restore on it this year.  When I got it, it was hard starting and then it wouldn't start.  I basically rebuilt the top end of engine (other than pistons), cleaned carb, new fuel lines and cleaned tank, etc.  

WHX??
1 minute ago, nrowles said:

have to figure out on my own

You do that let me know ... I been blading/blowing/plowing my drive for thirty years now and still ain't figured it out! Seems every time I attack it different! Doesn't help that I keep switching methods. Yes find out what works for you particular piece of property and stick with it.

• Like 1

Sarge

It really depends on the individual and their situation - every place is different and everyone's experience level with equipment is as well . I work construction and have ran a lot of different heavy equipment , despite being a Laborer (sshhh) . I can handle almost any place with either a blower or a blade and get it done reasonably quick depending upon the snow depth and such . You'll learn quickly these small tractors are so much more capable than most would ever think - when I refer to mine as a bulldozer I mean it , I've done some pretty large jobs that most people wouldn't even consider possible . It will take longer than a larger piece of equipment , but most find seat time on a Horse to be fun in reality - most here are looking for something to give them a reason to work the old Horse....I know I do on a regular basis .

Try moving 30 tons of gravel in one day with a 42" blade and a tractor made in 1967 - it handled the job easily ...but took 5 tanks of fuel , lol .

Sarge

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

@WHX9, "Chains on all 4 tires", unfortunately yes, that 1/4 mile long drive has a lot of steep slopes and doesn't get full sun, so it thaws during the day refreezes at night and those R4's are good in softer terrain but frozen and leaves in the wooded areas chains make the difference of sitting and spinning or moving, first year I bought it had 4ply turfs which had worn out from P.O. using loader then dad busted a rear one off the rim and split the sidewall these are 8ply skidloader rated they don't give as much but hopefully wear longer as well as resisting sidewall failure,Jeff.

IMAG0338.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

WH nut

I prefer the blower. I have a blade and have never used it. If you set the blower up right you don't have to worry about rocks. I like to drive on the first couple of snows to pack in a base then set the blower so it leaves about an inch of snow. You will pick up an occasional rock but not bad.  Once you get a good packed base you can lower the blower so its just touching without cutting into the base. If you use a blade then you have to push back the first time to make sure you have room for the rest of the snow for the season

Tankman

150 ft stone drive, only use a blade. Sold my blower.

Grandsons love driving so..............let 'em push white wet ugly cold "stuff" every few inches while the junque is comin' down.

416-414-Plows-www.JPGChristian_Plow-www.jpgSnowblower+Harleys.jpg

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I can usually finish most meals with my hands & a fork but I prefer both plus a knife & spoon.  Hard to say in advance which I will need or how to say which is best... 

Blade? Blower? Broom?  FEL?  

All the above if you can.  Blade if you have under 12" or blower if more until you can have both... 

• Like 1

c-series don

Dennis here we go again, we just need a tractor with each implement and you don't need to worry about what comes!!! 

• Like 4

DennisThornton

Yes Don.  With such bargains on both WH & attachments it's now possible to have more than just one choice without breaking many budgets.  For a long time all I could afford was a shovel so I still understand...   But now days some patience & not too many $$$s can really enhance getting things done!  Gads do it if you can! 

• Like 1

JoeliusZ28

I have a large asphalt driveway and I only use a blower.  Ive debated getting another tractor with a blade for lighter snowfalls but i don't really have the storage space for two tractors.  The blower handles my driveway (and many of my neighbors) just fine, granted i dont have any stone surfaces.  I don't think a blade would do well on my driveway with heavier snowfall, i have traction issues with the blower i think the blade with heavier snowfall would force me to run chains which would scratch up the asphalt, so given the choice i went with the blower.

Edited by JoeliusZ28
  • Like 1

can whlvr

where I live you need both,we get small snow falls and huge ones,storms that a blade cant do,and I have chains,weights,rear weight and I'm over 220 lbs,ive been using the skid steer a lot more lately,my cab died and I'm sick of eating snow,and the skid steer is unstoppable,3 feet at once no problem

• Like 1