roadapples

Standby generators

roadapples

Interested in an automatic start generator in the 7K range for my Mom. She`s 96 and can`t handle a "horse" mounted one. When the house was built in 1947 they hit a spring digging the basement. The sump pump hole holds 30 gallon and pumps it out every "eight" minutes year round. Since Dad passed 22 years ago my brother and I have been on call in case the power goes out or a pump burns up. (we have three spare pumps on standby). We both live about three mile away and if we get that call one of us has to get there PDQ. We have a small pull start generator to run the pump but an automatic would allow a lot more freedom. I would appreciate any experience or recommendations you guys may have on automatic standby generators. Thanks in advance...Jay

• Like 5

JimD

Can't really advise you on generators but an interim fix would be back up battery power to keep it going for awhile. I'm sure you can find a lot of info about that on the net. I hope you get the solutions you need. Sparky might be a good guy to advise you on this. :)

• Like 3

classicdmax

Not sure what area you're from, but a lot of electrical contractors out this way have become a Generac certified "dealer/installer". I'd start with the internet and check out generacs website to see if they can provide any contractors in your area. Next you'd need natural gas service in her neighborhood, or have a propane company come to install a tank to fuel the system. I think cost maybe around 5-6k or so.

as mentioned a battery backup would prob work well to get you thru the power outages as well and be a lot cheaper alternative

good luck

• Like 3

Achto

I work in the manufacturing end of Generac. An 8kw Generac home stand by will run in the $2300 rang. This does not include taxes, transfer switch, or installation. Like @classicdmax said you will also need a fuel source, LP or Natural gas. These fuels are used for home standby so that there is no need to worry about stored fuel going bad. I'm in no way pushing our product, there are other companies that make quality standby's as well.

I also agree with the for mentioned ideas. Depending on how often you experience power loss and how long power is usually out a battery back up may be a less expensive alternative.     

• Like 5

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:I would browse northern tool for the genny & switch gear Jay but Dan does have a point on the battery backup ones and you can get them with a battery maintainer and what not. Might want to make sure a resonallly priced  battery pump would move enough water tho. Then again the genny can also power her furnace, fridge and more what not..... decisions decisions! :scratchead:

• Like 4

ACman

I'm with @WHX9 I think a gen set is the way to go especially if you're setup for fuel and your fuse box will except a switch panel . Battery backups are ok but they have there limitations and with your pump running every 8min it's only going to buy you time . One other thing I would do is install a second pump higher in the sump so if the first one does go out your backup is already to go . :twocents-02cents:

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3

W9JAB

Interested in an automatic start generator, go with a natural gas unit if you have natural gas piped to the house.

1. No messing around trying to store fuel.

2. When if ever did you have a disruption in natural gas service,

with long area outages? no gas station can pump.

3. Natural gas units run quieter and cleaner than petrol.

4. automatic transfer switch, and permanently installed units are the best way to go.

Yea, you might be able to hook it up in an emergence but how about the  wife or kids, do you

really want them messing around with hooking up power in a storm? 

5. Grainger is a good place to start looking at what is out there, but I would buy from a local

vendor and get a service contract for it at the same time. In a long outage, These guys are in big demand and will servie

there coustomers first.

Edited by W9JAB
spelling
  • Like 3

roadapples

Thanks for all the suggestions. Mom doesn`t like spending a lot of money as long as the "boys" can take care of it. Guess she thinks she might need it when she gets old.

• Like 3