Mike'sHorseBarn

K161 carb continuously floods out

Mike'sHorseBarn

So I have been messing with this 753 off and on for months now trying to get all fixed up mechanically. When I first got it, it leaked gas horribly out of the carburetor, but I found out it had the wrong bowl on it and didn't seal properly. Fixed that and put a carb kit in it and now nothing works. The carb always floods out. So I put a new float in and adjusted to 11\64 gap, cleaned the carb really good and readjusted to factory specs. Same problem. What am I doing wrong?

prondzy

Why 11/64th? Im guessing your float is not closing the float needle. 

Hacksawhero123

With the bowl off, turn the carb upside down. With only gravity letting the float rest on the needle, the float should be parallel to the oring land of the carb body. Every carb manufacturer gives a measurement, but it basically sets it just as I described. Doesn't matter if it's a mower or a 4 carbed Japanese drag bike, it's all the same. Double check that your float is not getting fuel leaking inside. I had two Kohlers here at the same time with bad floats. Also make sure that you're needle is not too short. I've gotten kits with multiple needles and even wrong needles. Good luck. 

Mark. 

With the bowl off, turn the carb upside down. With only gravity letting the float rest on the needle, the float should be parallel to the oring land of the carb body. Every carb manufacturer gives a measurement, but it basically sets it just as I described. Doesn't matter if it's a mower or a 4 carbed Japanese drag bike, it's all the same. Double check that your float is not getting fuel leaking inside. I had two Kohlers here at the same time with bad floats. Also make sure that you're needle is not too short. I've gotten kits with multiple needles and even wrong needles. Good luck. 

Mark. 

Dumb question, is it flooding out when running, or is fuel pouring out when the fuel turned on?  If only when running, make sure the main jet needle doesn't have the tip broke off. 

Mark. 

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
32 minutes ago, prondzy said:

Why 11/64th? Im guessing your float is not closing the float needle. 

That is what my kohler book says to set it at. I have messed with closing it more to make the fuel shut off sooner and get the same effect.

12 minutes ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

Mark. 

Mark. 

Dumb question, is it flooding out when running, or is fuel pouring out when the fuel turned on?  If only when running, make sure the main jet needle doesn't have the tip broke off. 

Mark. 

It floods out when I try to start it. 

Edited by Mike'sHorseBarn

Hacksawhero123

So fuel is running out of the carb body when you spin it over but it doesn't run out just sitting there?  Are you running a fuel pump or gravity feeding the carb?

Mike'sHorseBarn
26 minutes ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

So fuel is running out of the carb body when you spin it over but it doesn't run out just sitting there?  Are you running a fuel pump or gravity feeding the carb?

Fuel pump

Hacksawhero123

If the float is adjusted properly and is air tight (no fuel inside the float, take it out and shake it, make sure no fuel is sloshing around in there), and the needle is proper, then something is holding the needle open. Take a wooden match stick and with gentle pressure, spin the matchstick into the needle seat to make sure there is not a burr or trash holding the needle open. After lapping the seat with the match, you should see a bright shiny ring on the seat. 

Edited by Hacksawhero123
  • Like 3

Shynon

Needle is not closing, either a bad carb kit or you have a pin hole in the float. Take the float out and shake it and see if you hear anything inside it, or submerse it and look for bubbles.

953 nut
9 hours ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

bowl off, turn the carb upside down. With only gravity letting the float rest on the needle, the float should be parallel to the oring land of the carb body.

At this point put a snug fitting piece of plastic tubing into/over the fuel inlet fitting and blow gently (2 or 3 PSI) into it. If the needle and seat are good there will be no air movement. If there is any blow by then replace them!

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

At this point put a snug fitting piece of plastic tubing into/over the fuel inlet fitting and blow gently (2 or 3 PSI) into it. If the needle and seat are good there will be no air movement. If there is any blow by then replace them!

I hope that is not the case since it is a new needle and seat, but if it is I guess that's why i keep kohler carb kits in stock in my garage lol I will definitely give that a try!

Sarge

Might want to check the fuel pressure - that pump may have lost it's ability to regulate the pressure and is pushing far too much . I run a return loop with a bypass filter when I use an electric pump to prevent this issue and make the pumps last much longer .

See the thread in the tractors section under "crank 20 times to start Kohler"...

Sarge

Mike'sHorseBarn
45 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Might want to check the fuel pressure - that pump may have lost it's ability to regulate the pressure and is pushing far too much . I run a return loop with a bypass filter when I use an electric pump to prevent this issue and make the pumps last much longer .

See the thread in the tractors section under "crank 20 times to start Kohler"...

Sarge

Can that happen on a mechanical fuel pump?

Sarge

Generally , no - especially a factory pump . I thought I read in this thread you were using an electric - my mistake .

Sarge

Achto
15 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

cleaned the carb really good and readjusted to factory specs.

Did you also clean the vent passage from the bowl to the throat of the carb? If this is plugged gas will be forced out through the main jet as it is pumped into the carb.

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
Just now, achto said:

Did you also clean the vent passage from the bowl to the throat of the carb? If this is plugged gas will be forced out through the main jet as it is pumped into the carb.

Yep, did that.

Achto
9 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Yep, did that.

Was a thought, I had it happen to me once.