stratostar250

Finally a Round Hood!! (But it's a project to finish)

WHX??

Nice :handgestures-thumbupright:...got some character happening but nice!

• Like 1

stevebo

Tom-

Glade to see you got that one. I saw it as well and you know me I am an original paint kind of guy... Looks good. I am sure you will get it running just fine. I assume that motor is a 6hp Kohler?

stratostar250
Just now, stevebo said:

Tom-

Glade to see you got that one. I saw it as well and you know me I am an original paint kind of guy... Looks good. I am sure you will get it running just fine. I assume that motor is a 6hp Kohler?

Thanks Steve!  PO told me it was a k181, but the painted over tag, after some trying to look thru paint :chores-chopwood:, it says k141.  So yes, it is a 6hp.

Sparky

Looks like a fun project. What holds the wheel weights in place?

Mike.....

stratostar250
3 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Looks like a fun project. What holds the wheel weights in place?

Mike.....

Thanks! I'm looking foreward to it! And it looks like there were short threaded rods cast into the weights as they were made and are held in by bolts, you can see one at the bottom of the rim in the 2nd pic

ClassicTractorProfessor

Nice looking round hood, shouldn't take to much to get her up and running again.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Looks good to me, best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Tony Nice find. Should be a good addition to your collection.

• Like 1

mikeeyre74
7 hours ago, stratostar250 said:

Thanks Steve!  PO told me it was a k181, but the painted over tag, after some trying to look thru paint :chores-chopwood:, it says k141.  So yes, it is a 6hp.

I've got most of a k181 up here (pull start) in Barkhamsted if you're looking for that sort of thing.. not sure if that's what came enthuse or not, tho? 

AMC RULES

502 1962 Lawn & Garden Tractor 502 4-Speed Tecumseh HT55C-3088 5.5 Wheel Horse 5025

Nice :wh: score Tom...  :handgestures-thumbsup:

what are your plans for it? 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Love the bug eye headlights!

:shock:

• Like 1

T-Mo

Nice find. Welcome to the Round Hood Club.  :text-welcomeconfetti: Membership cards are in the mail. :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

russellmc301

good looking horse:text-bravo:

• Like 1

stratostar250
16 hours ago, mikeeyre74 said:

I've got most of a k181 up here (pull start) in Barkhamsted if you're looking for that sort of thing.. not sure if that's what came enthuse or not, tho? 

Thnaks, but it orginally came with a Techy, but I think I'll keep the kohler on her, but If i have any need for a 181, ill give you a ring!

16 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

502 1962 Lawn & Garden Tractor 502 4-Speed Tecumseh HT55C-3088 5.5 Wheel Horse 5025

Nice :wh: score Tom...  :handgestures-thumbsup:

what are your plans for it? 

Thanks Craig, it looks pretty decent, so no crazy plans for it, but my goals are to get it running, and then, honestly, my girl has been bothering me to get a round hood for a while, and since it being christmas, I think I'm going to call it "Her's"  She seemed to like it.  I'm calling it a late xmas present :occasion-santa:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Funny, I was thinking...

you should call it Sam.  :clap:

• Like 1

stratostar250
12 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Funny, I was thinking...

you should call it Sam.  :clap:

Well, I think she will be able to call it what ever she wants to call it. :lol:

stratostar250

Update! :scared-notify:

So, I carefully put the 502 and my ol' trusty work horse 700 together with a belt with a flip in it, and kept the throttle as low as I could get it, and started the 502! Started with no issue! :dance: Gave her a few small revvs to see how she sounded, while being observant of the lack of governor on the motor, and she seems to run really well.  Kinda seems to have a tick, which is slightly worrysome, but i'll look into it and only time will tell, but, I'm just happy it runs.  BUT :| I did find out that the gas tank leaks more gas than the motor uses, and the transmission didn't move the tractor while in gear.  But I watching the belt and I don't think it was engaging properly, belt seemed to not move when I let out the clutch, so it will be something to figure out.   At least these tractors are so easy to work on! :thumbs2:  

ohiofarmer

So that muffler right against the sheet metal will make that new paint old again :roll:.  Right up there with that zip tie idea :snooty:

953 nut
6 hours ago, stratostar250 said:

Kinda seems to have a tick, which is slightly worrysome, but i'll look into it and only time will tell,

:text-coolphotos:     Welcome to the round hood club.    :twocents-02cents:  If the person who rebuilt the engine left out the governor I would hate think what else they didn't do correctly. I would suggest going through the engine just for the piece of mind it will give you.

57 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

muffler right against the sheet metal

First thing you need is a 45 to replace the 90 going to the muffler.

• Like 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

left out the governor

Stupid ? but why would someone do that ...guvs are what make my Kohlers git up & go?? :confusion-shrug: I'm with Dick on taking it apart Tom... just to make sure.

• Like 1

stratostar250
10 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

So that muffler right against the sheet metal will make that new paint old again :roll:.  Right up there with that zip tie idea :snooty:

yeah, I ran it without the hood, I'll have to change the exhaust.  the zip tie melted in the first minute of it running.

9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:     Welcome to the round hood club.    :twocents-02cents:  If the person who rebuilt the engine left out the governor I would hate think what else they didn't do correctly. I would suggest going through the engine just for the piece of mind it will give you.

First thing you need is a 45 to replace the 90 going to the muffler.

Thanks! and yes, I plan on checking into it. Hopefully its something easy, or nothing.  and yes, for sure need to adjust the muffler situation.  

6 hours ago, WHX9 said:

Stupid ? but why would someone do that ...guvs are what make my Kohlers git up & go?? :confusion-shrug: I'm with Dick on taking it apart Tom... just to make sure.

Agreed, I have no idea why someone would go thru the trouble of all that, and then leave that off.  It's a very important part...

stratostar250

So, yesterday, I grabbed an awesome seat cover from @stevebo and while I was working on my 520 (you can see that thread in the resto part of the forum) I took the steering wheel off so I can take off the gas tank and re-seal it, because gas comes out faster than the motor drinks it.  :sleeping-drool:

20170101_211835.jpg

Edited by stratostar250
  • Like 3

stevebo

Seat cover looks great!! Jo (Mrs. Buckrancher) does a great job on her covers. 

• Like 1

stratostar250

More updates!!!

So today, I took the tank completely off and opened it.  The tank was quite clean! It looked like someone had tried to seal it with some odd plastic epoxy or something.  It dried clear, but they did not insert a gasket, hence the leaking.  

tank off.jpg

tank.jpg

I also took the exhaust off because it is obviously too close to the hood, I'll see If someone at work could bend the main pipe a little bit so it goes downwards, if not, I will see if I can find a new pipe and see what I can come up with.  

pipe.jpg

So, one of my local friends heard that I needed the gasket for the gas tank and said that he had an extra one, so I ran up to his house, and we cleaned out the old crud, and put in the new gasket with some sealer, and she doesn't seem to leak a drop!!  So excited that the tractor will be less of a fire hazard now.  :thumbs2:

gasket.jpg

Lastly, I tried to look into the transmission engagement issue I had while it was running.  I took off the side panel, and am not sure if these linkages are in the correct positions.  Does anyone else have a round hood pic on hand of this area of the tractor which I could reference?  I feel like something is off.  If it looks to be okay, it is either that spring isn't strong enough, or the belt is stretched beyond its useable state/wrong size, but the pedal acts weird, giving me ideas that some linkage could be wrong.    

side.jpg

But, all in all, I'm so glad this tractor is progressing the way it is!  Can't wait to get her running and driving good! :greetings-clappingyellow:

Edited by stratostar250
  • Like 1