Wheel Horse Collector

1966 1276

Wheel Horse Collector

Here's our 1966 Wheel Horse 1276. Been in the family since it was new. Have a like new deck for it and a snowblade. Also has rear weights and chains. This tractor is as straight as an arrow. Just curious what are they worth?

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

stevebo

Nice machine and great to know it has been in your family since new. In terms of value I would think 400-600 range. They have not brought a ton of money but may go up in value over the next few years as many of the more collectible models are getting harder to find. 

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Wheel Horse   Collector. That is nice survivor. Glade to see it is still in your family. Give it a good cleaning and a buff job this would increase the value. 

• Like 1

russellmc301

same i have a 1276 been own by same person since new and it has a mower deck (well used) and a like new snowblower.

glad to see a fellow 1276 out there in about the same condition as mine.

• Like 1

Sarge

I've still got my first Horse , a model 1277 . Those were only made two years and the hood was only '65-'67 as far as I know . The 1276/1277 were the biggest available at the time except the early GT14's , whatever year they came out ('67 , I think) .

Start looking for the parts listed in the 84112 lift kit - hydraulic valves for the transmission/cylinder/spool valve , ect - you can put a hydraulic lift on it but those parts don't show up much . I think there is a 1277 being parted out on FB on one of the sale groups , just search out 1277 .

There have been a few restored , but few at that and their value is low due to low numbers of them left . I started to restore one and just ran out of room and time so it got sold earlier this year to a member here .

_Lift Hydraulic 1966-67 HY-6 #273.pdf

1277 OM IPL wiring.pdf

This is the one I sold , spring 2016 -

WP_20150903_19_16_16_Pro.jpg

My rusty trusty 1277 getting a workout -

1277 2014 2.jpg

You've got a fairly rare model there - I'd restore it and work it , there's not much of these left and the current newbies are parting out a lot of complete tractors...not a good thing .

Sarge

• Like 3

Jrblanke

I got 2nds on the proper disposal! I'll even treat you to some good ol' NC BBQ and give you free room/board while have a weekend to thaw out from the great white midwest.

JackC

The decals on that horse are amazing. Unfortunately they do not sell for what they are truly worth in my opinion. $400 to $600 is probably about right. WD40 could keep the patina and still give it some shine as well as protection. I was looking for one like that for about a year and when this 1076 came on the market for $150 with a snow blower I grabbed it. It has very little wear. I got it running, found nicer front wheels and tires, purchased new decals, found a nice seat from the same era, and I am looking forward to adding it to my worker fleet 50+ years after it come out of the factory. I could easily turn it into a trailer queen but out of respect for all the work it has performed for others over those 50+ years, I will leave the bad ass old school worker looking patina. I would much rather do my work with one of these cast iron classics than one of those funny looking plastic and tin can toys from Home Depot.

P9260908.JPGp9260909.JPG

Edited by JackC
  • Like 3

Retired Wrencher
  • Jack nice 1076. good looking worker.

Sarge

I don't get it either , the lineup of those 7-slot grill and woodgrain decal short/long frame tractors sells pretty cheap and they are a very close second to a C-*** in terms of working power , and by far are a lot better looking in my opinion . When I got the first C series I almost just flipped it to someone else due to it being ugly compared to the more elegant and classic looking 1277 , despite it's rust and generally beat up appearance . Guess that long narrow hood is some kind of sexy - I love 'em .

I found an Allis this fall for free with a K341 that has very low hours - replacement factory engine after the original gave itself a big window . I grabbed it to put the '74 C-160 back into service since it's rod is knocking badly (or balance shaft) and the top of the block is cracked pretty good , making it non-rebuildable . Really starting to consider putting the bigger K341 into the 1277 instead and maybe even adapting the starter gen over to the newer engine to keep the tractor's looks .  The K301 in the 1277 is worn out pretty badly and finally starting to smoke/use oil so it's either getting fully rebuilt or an engine upgrade - just need to decide next spring when I rebuild the trans plate section of the frame .

I know this much , you'd have to pry that 1277 out of my cold , dead fingers and I deeply regret selling the second one I had , but live and learn ...

Sarge

• Like 1

JackC

Wrencher, the nice seat I got from you is going on when I get a chance and the nice trailer I got from you will go right behind it. By the way, I use that trailer all the time. Thanks.

The long frame, the hydro tranny, the 7 slot grill, the wood grain decals. and the starter/generator belt cover all make this one good looking model I had to have in my collection. I really like the way Wheel Horse exposes and flaunts the power plants they install in their machines. Other brands cover then up and they look funny to me by comparison.

• Like 1

GMan

Guy's,

I've been reading this thread with much interest and I certainly do not intend to "hijack" it but I accuired an 877 Wheelhorse a few months back (posted a few pics along with a short story of how I obtained it). I'm kind of embarrased to ask but is it considered a "long frame"? If it is not, what determines whether one is or isn't? The more I participate on this forum the more I realize just how many miles I've yet to travel in this world of Wheel Horse, but I am certainly enjoying the learning! Thanks in advance for any and all response.......................Gary

JackC

The 8 hp tractors had a shorter frame and hood than the 10 and 12 hp tractors.

Here is a couple of pics of my 876 and it is shorter than my 1076. A friend gave me the 876, a 12 automatic, and a 16 automatic for a favor I did for him.

Here is some 876 eye candy. You can see the length difference in the second pic. My friend drove the 876 in parades.Letson's 876 left side.JPGLetson's 876 right side from front.JPGLetson's 876 right side.JPGLetson's 876 with blower.JPG

• Like 1

Jrblanke

I sold all 3 of my short frames last year because of lack of space and time to work on them. My favorite was the 876 (automatic). I absolutely loved cutting the grass with that little thing. The styling of the mid to late 60s tractors are my favorite. 

IMG_9875_zpsf1c45723.jpg

JamesVintageMower_zps23da9b6b.jpg

• Like 3