WayneS

Burning wires

WayneS

i have a D160 runs but need tune-up but heres the issues if I crank for more then 5 seconds the wires from the switch to starter and the battery melt and I have to replace them the wires are 14ga

Ed Kennell

I am not familiar with the D models Wayne,  But 14 ga wire  will not power a starter.   You need to do a search of your tractors wiring diagram to determine what your  tractors wiring should look like.

:WRS:          I am sure others will be here to help if you cannot find the diagram.

953 nut

:WRS:    Typicality any wire to the starter will be a SIX gauge or larger.  ( smaller number = larger wire)

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

This may help.

• Like 1

squonk

If you have 14 ga wire from your battery to the starter you have wires trying to handle around 100 amps and they are designed for 20 electrician-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

Digger 66

Welcome to Red Square.

These guys are right .

SylvanLakeWH

:scared-shocked:

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

WayneS

thanks for the info I looked in the manual they have most of the models but not the D-series I replaced the one wire with 3 14 ga wires twisted together to form one wire will replace the other one tomorrow  

Edited by WayneS

Ed Kennell

Edited by Ed Kennell

Hacksawhero123

I'm going to ask a dumb question here, but has someone removed or bypassed the starter solenoid and are try to use the switch to carry all of the load to the starter??  I only ask because I've seen it done and had the same results that you are getting. 

Mark. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

34 minutes ago, WayneS said:

thanks for the info I looked in the manual they have most of the models but not the D-series I replaced the one wire with 3 14 ga wires twisted together to form one wire will replace the other one tomorrow  

I have found a 1977 D-160 automatic manual wit electrical diagram, but I have not been able to post the link.

And Mark is correct, this wiring diagram has a starter solenoid.

Wayne, go to the manuals and click on Wheel Horse tractors of your year,  Then scroll till you see the D-160s.

There, I just got the link to post above in ID 10.   Click on that link and scroll down till you find the electrical diagram.

If you just put heavier wire on without the solenoid, you will probably burn up the ignition switch.

Edited by Ed Kennell

953 nut

Twisting three wires together may be the way MacGyver did it on TV, but you can go to an auto supply house or Tractor Supply and get a proper battery cable. Take some time and look at the wiring diagram in this manual  to see what the previous owner did wrong and correct it. Otherwise you will continue to have problems.

Ed Kennell

Thanks Dick, I had trouble posting the link for Wayne.   I don't have a D, but the diagrams I looked at all show a starter solenoid.

I can't imagine any ignition switch could carry enough current to crank a 16-20 HP w/o smoke and fire.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

Hacksawhero123

Being an electrician, I tend to overdo electrical projects. That said, if you replace any wires, I personally would go up one gauge size on the wires. Completely unnecessary, but it keeps the OCD voices quiet in my head. For your heavy leads (battery and starter cables) determine the lengths you need and have your napa store crimp ring lugs onto #2 welding cable. 

Mark. 

• Like 4

Sarge

I used 4ga to re-wire the solenoid setup on my D-180 and had to replace the solenoid itself . The original solenoid on that model is an odd size with the mounting holes set very far to the back so be aware if have to replace one . The original starter was junk as well but with a new one spins over like mad now and no problem spinning that cast iron flat twin . If yours is a 160 it should still use a solenoid so make sure it's wired properly . Key switch is just used to kick the solenoid's coil and close the main heavy contacts that carry the high current load to the starter , just fyi ....

Sarge

WayneS

thanks guys there are only the two main wires coming off the solenoid just like the old cars

Sarge

Might want to become a site supporter and load up some pics - it's here to help others as well as to let us help you with your issue . This site doesn't come cheap and the supporters contribute to keeping this site active and protecting all this documented information for all things Wheel Horse . Without it , we'd all be pretty well lost....

Sarge

• Like 1

WayneS

I have just replaced the entire wiring harness with 12 gauge wire homemade now the only power I have is to the headlights I have replaced the solenoid the wire that goes from switch does it go to the small connection or to the big nut from the battery 

image.jpg

• Like 2

pfrederi

One small wire goes from the big terminal (the one with the heavy wire from the battery) to the batt terminal on the ignition switch.

A small wire goes from the S terminal on the ignition switch to the spade terminal on the solenoid in your picture

• Like 2

WayneS

Hey guys thanks for all the info and the manuals all helped out very much I had a brain fart it was the switch

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Great, we can all rest easier knowing a "HORSE" will not go up in flames.     :thumbs:

• Like 2