mikehusky455

69 wh gt14 steering.

mikehusky455

first off merry xmas everyone. on my 69 wh gt14,need to know if the steering wheel is splined 36teeth.with a roll pin.when I got tractor only the collar of the steering wheel was on there ,all beat up and rusted so I need to cut it off and get one ,but just need to know if its splined thanks.it does also have a spot where wheel would be bolted down .pic is with my laptop so may not show up good.the little tabs sticking out are not the pin its part of steering wheel

Snapshot_20161225_1.JPG

• Like 1

953 nut

Not sure about the number of teeth (sounds about right) but mine has no pin, just a bolt holding it on the spline.

GT-14 001.JPG

• Like 1

mikehusky455

k thanks I will I guess have to wait till I cut off and double check fitment,b4 I buy one .I see tractor supply has one for $50 new.just not shure of diam. of shaft yet.

• Like 1

refracman

The GT14 steering is not splined. It has a standard 3/4 round with a key. The only Wh's with a splined shaft have a Ross steering assembly which are the early 953 and d 160,180 and 200 

• Like 2

mikehusky455

i cant tell yet if its splined but it def.has a pin through  it and had bolt on top,no keyway.

I did just check the parts list and shows it should be a keyway style,so someone must of changed it at sometime.,cause it deff. has a pin through it.

gawald

I searched for a WH steering wheel to replace the broken one on my C-141 but did not find one at a decent price. I did find that a John Deere 3 spoke wheel from a JD 200 series fits perfectly.   Both wheels made by same company but differ slightly in appearance.  The Deere wheels are easy to find so the price was attractive.  Both are 3/4" bore with 1/4" cross hole, no splines or keyway.  The original WH wheel used a roll pin in the cross hole.  My tractor is not factory original but what is after 35 years?   I think the Deere wheel is stronger than the original WH due to the materials used as a side benefit.

mikehusky455

thanks I did see a few  jd ones that did look similar.

not shure how much to put into this, the guy I got from last yr,wants it back for his brother,wants to trade me a jd316 full hydro ,deck lift ,3pt and a mower deck..so may go that route and sell the deck cause I wont need.

953 nut
3 hours ago, refracman said:

GT14 steering is not splined. It has a standard 3/4 round with a key.

:text-imsorry:                 Made me look; you are correct, it was the 953s that were splined.              :hide:

refracman

Lol 

might be getting up there but I have had 12-15 gt 14s and rebuilt half of them so I was sure I was right. 

still have couple floating around they are a beast. 

mikehusky455

as I said in earlier posts,i had this bout a yr and finaly getting to it,got new carb,fuel pump,tranny filter,fresh atf,had to go with pushbutton start for know,and it does have spark,took out original tank,the plastic nipple was broke.,,and on the tow valve that was rusted up but got freed but now spins,also got new belt,so shortly I will see if this thing drives and if any hoses blow to the 3pt hitch.

gawald

I searched for a WH steering wheel to replace the broken one on my C-141 but did not find one at a decent price. I did find that a John Deere 3 spoke wheel from a JD 200 series fits perfectly.   Both wheels made by same company but differ slightly in appearance.  The Deere wheels are easy to find so the price was attractive.  Both are 3/4" bore with 1/4" cross hole, no splines or keyway.  The original WH wheel used a roll pin in the cross hole.  My tractor is not factory original but what is after 35 years?   I think the Deere wheel is stronger than the original WH due to the materials used as a side benefit.

I once owned a JD 316 and wish I had it back.  It had the  16hp Kohler and ran great - a strong tractor.  I would trade the GT14 for the 316 (heresy on this site I know) but there it is.   The hydro lift and engine combo are hard to beat.  The only hit on the 316 is the steering is a bit stiff & turning circle is a bit wide.   I have a JD 318 (reputedly best garden tractor ever built) and it has power steering & hydro lift with Onan engine.  Great tractor but Onan parts are expensive.  If you decide to keep the GT14, you won't be disappointed.   Your decision should be based on condition of both tractors & economics as well as which one appeals most to you.  Wish you well in your decision.

• Like 1

mikehusky455

I haven't heard back from the other guy yet but that's normal from him.i guess he said it was a jd 316 but has the 18hp twin onan,said it needed starter rebuilt and a coil,,but I'm gona just keep going with my wh gt14 .just final put gas in it so if it stays running ,got to test stator wires and hope the tranny is good ,if not then It will go down the road.theres not a lot of wh around my area unless u want to spend a lot ,and those haven't ran in yrs.,so not much of an option.

Edited by mikehusky455

Hacksawhero123

I've got about $60 in my wheel setup. A steering quick connect for a dune buggy and a grant GT wheel. Both from Amazon. Only modification wash drilling a hole for the pin. Mark. 

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3762.JPG

• Like 3

mikehusky455

how much smaller diameter is your new wheel compared to original.,i have a lot of reg.riding mower wheels but they seem like it would steer that great,and are smaller.,nice set up though

Hacksawhero123

Mike, I haven't checked diameters. I have the old wheel in the scrap pile. I'll dig it out shortly and let you know. I will say that my C160 steers easily for a heavier machine. 

Mark.