Macgyver

Steering gears

Macgyver

Here's a question for someone with more knowledge than I. I have a couple of tractors 3 right now. What are the gears made of steel cast iron? Want to know so I can figure out what to do about fixings the slop in the steering. I'm sure I'm not the only one to encounter this problem. I might even talk to someone in my area as we have several gear manufacturers in the Rockford area.

pfrederi

Have you tried adding a shim on the end of the lower steering shaft between the support and the cotter pin at the end of the shaft. That will pull the fan gear in tighter to the upper shaft gear and make up for wear.

• Like 8

JAinVA

From my experience the major area of wear is not the gears themselves but the stub shaft at the end of the steering shaft and the bore in the support block.As Paul says you can shim the fanshaft to tighten up the gears but you will still see left to right play as the shaft goes from one side of the base support to the other.The main shaft is steel and the fan is cast steel.At least the C and later series are.I have a 416-8 that had this problem and I replaced the shaft and block with one from a C120 I had. I kept the original fan shaft and problem solved.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 5

Ed Kennell

Good advice from Paul and Jim above.

You should also check the steering wheel shaft for axial movement.   You can loosen the set screw in the thrust collar and tap it up tight against the bushing while  you hold down on the steering wheel. 

• Like 5

Walt
35 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

You should also check the steering wheel shaft for axial movement.   You can loosen the set screw in the thrust collar and tap it up tight against the bushing while  you hold down on the steering wheel.

This took care of my slop I would check it first as there is nothing to take apart to do it.

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

I welded the fan gear teeth up on a 520 seemed to do all right.     Wayne