obone

How do you use your blade

obone

I just got a blade from a member here and wanted to ask tips and video of how you use it to clear snow. Mainly close to the house without going through the garage door. Which way do you push\pull near the house? Thanks.

SylvanLakeWH

I go up to the door, drop the blade and then back blade far enough away so I can get behind it and push it out and down the driveway.

I'm a big fan of the down the middle - back and forth - without changing the blade direction. Pushes the snow 50% to each side. Work from the middle out...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 7

Lane Ranger

Right up the sidewalk and left and right in front of the garage door !   I keep my door open when plowing just in case the operator hits a foul ball !

I ususally use my  B-80 but this was a couple winters ago with my brotehrs 633 and a 1962  snowplow.

DSCN7458.JPG

Here is a  You Tube posted video from 2014  using this tractor and plow:

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 7

slammer302

I agree with what SylvanLakeWH said. If you have lots of snow make sure you push your piles back as far as you can so you have plenty of room if you get more snow before it has a chance to melt. I also am a fan of the solid lift link. I like to be able to feel the blades movement. I'm not sure what model WH your using but I've had pretty good luck using a commando 8 with wheel weights & 42'' blade. This year stepped it up with a C-160 cab weights & chains.  

• Like 5

82Caddy

I shovel a bit (3-4 feet) away from the doors and tight spaces. Just makes it easier. 

• Like 1

briankd
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I'm a big fan of the down the middle - back and forth - without changing the blade direction. Pushes the snow 50% to each side. Work from the middle out...

yes that's the best way i found also been doing that for years and also never used wheel weights been plowing snow with an 857 tire chains only gravel drive never had no issues

got wheel weights 2 year ago but never had enough  snow since to try them out

• Like 1

obone

OK I understand if I'm coming from the garage, but what if it's a neighbor's house? Do I clear the front or drive up to the garage pull that back some then turn around and finish the push?

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Trial and error will be your best teacher, making mistakes makes you learn. Trust me, I made plenty. Good luck. Be carefull. Think things out.

Glenn

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
7 hours ago, obone said:

OK I understand if I'm coming from the garage, but what if it's a neighbor's house? Do I clear the front or drive up to the garage pull that back some then turn around and finish the push?

In that case, which my son does for his plow jobs, he goes up the drive along the non-house side as far as possible, pushing to the side. Then back blade the garage door area, which is usually closed, then proceed as I explained before - down the middle and working outwards. You want to get as much as possible down and away from the house in case you get a lot of snow over the year. Only want to move it once.

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

Tankman

Pushing the white cold nasty stuff from the middle out. I usually push out further than needed at the moment.

Need room just in case more nasty junque comes my way.

Christian_Plow-www.jpg

• Like 5

shallowwatersailor
On 12/24/2016 at 11:11 PM, obone said:

I do five neighbors besides my own driveway. Using the tractor with the blade, I get as close to the garage door without pushing snow against it. I do this as often as I need to until I can then backblade the snow by the door. The tractor that has the snowthrower is equipped with an electric sleeve hitch that has a drag blade on it. I use the snowthrower as close as I can and then turn around to drag the snow out. Then I clean up with the snowthrower again.