Walleye

Another 5010 thread...

Walleye

Well, yesterday I finally received the last 3 bearings I needed. I didn't have time yesterday to do much, but I did remove the old bearings. After soaking them in diesel, brushing them some, and more diesel, I definitely could have reused the 4 of the 6 S8K's. Oh well, I'll have them on a shelf should I ever need them. With the crappy weather forecasted for this weekend, I'll spend the weekend in the garage working on the Suburban, and maybe drywall if I have time. 

Not only did I receive bearings, but I received plenty of parts for the K90 and K91 engines that I bought for this tractor. Plan is to get them both running great which shouldn't take much, and then have the K90 on the tractor for a prospective buyer (of the engine!!) to come test run it. Then I'll swap back to the K91. 

• Like 3

Walleye

Trans is all together and back on the tractor, and seems to function as it is supposed to. 

I will add, I was not impressed with the General bearings - I don't know what kind of quality the NICE bearings were, but after seeing the Generals I would probably have just used S8K's instead. The Generals seem to have some play in them, and their overall finish gave me the impression of a cheap bearing. But I used them. 

I got the K90 running. Just need to pick up some miscellaneous hardware to bolt the air cleaner housing on, recoil start, and a few other parts, then I will be back here with some photos of the pulleys I have, in hopes to figure out what pulleys are correct. 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Excellent news.  Thank you for the news on those General bearings.  They should be OK though in your transmission.  :)  Can't wait to see the pulleys.

• Like 1

Walleye

Well I know I have another pulley or 2 around but it was late last night and I'm unable to find them at the moment. So here are the 2 that I did find. 

I assume that the small pulley with red paint still on it is possibly the clutch pulley? - It has a NICE 7206 bearing in it if that helps.

I think I need a pulley for the engine. And that the other pulley was just thrown in and not applicable to the Suburban at all. 

Also attached is a photo of a General 22603-01 bearing. 

20170116_215814.jpg

20170113_215517.jpg

• Like 1

Walleye

Ok I found the tractor diagram in the manuals section - wish I'd found that sooner. Lol.

Looks like I need

#1608 drive pulley - only 1 right since I am not running a mower deck or anything right? 

#1616 Idler Pulley

#1522 bronze bearing

#3632 Stud Idler Pin

#1272 Snap ring

#1569 Belt

Any suggestions on where to find these things?

WHX??

Some interesting conversation on that clutch idler pulley here Walleye

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/57982-dennys-free-suburban-work/?page=4

starts on about post 79 or so.  

We did not have that type of pulley that is shown in the IPL , with the bronze bushing and clip so we were thinking the IPL isn't right at all or was for RJ's??

The 1569 belt is just a common off the shelf belt but I forget was size it was without looking at my build notes. I wanna say 29"  in 1/2" width?? Dang memory! :confusion-scratchheadblue: Can find out for sure.

I do have an extra pulley that I separated for a new bearing...last post in this thread. I do not have the pictured slotted/threaded stud tho as I used it in my build. A bolt with appropriate spacer would work tho.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/61433-pulleys-idlers-for-free/#comment-570677

On the drive pulley that should be a common finished bore available anywhere. Don't have the dims right here but can get them for you.

20160808_172414_thumb_jpg_24fc4d78f0522d77c824d5c468d20687.jpg

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 2

Walleye

Thanks Jim! Can you give me the diameter of both the idler and drive pulley? I will see if I can just find generic pulleys that will suffice. Otherwise, I will possibly see about getting that pulley from you., 

WHX??

Here is the idler I have,  3 in diameter it appears, 3/8 bore, 1/2" width.

Will double check but if I am not mistaken (I'm most often am)  3/4 finished keyway bore by 2 1/2" dia. on the drive pulley.

Might be some good candidates for a replacement here as well

https://www.motionindustries.com/taxonomy/Mechanical Power Transmission/Power Transmission Belts & Belt Pulleys/Power Transmission Belt Pulleys/Standard V-Belt Pulleys/browse/en

or here

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Pulleys/Finished-Bore-Pulleys/?page_no=1&fq=ATR_Grooves:1&fq=ATR_Bore_Fractional:3/4\"

20170117_141116[1].jpg

20170117_141513[1].jpg

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 3

Walleye

Thanks again for the help Jim! Is the bolt that secures the pulley just a 3/8 shoulder bolt? I guess I need to look at my idler arm again. I found the pulleys at McMaster.com, although the idler pulley is a nylon made in USA. I would think Nylon would be alright? 

bmsgaffer
1 hour ago, Walleye said:

Thanks again for the help Jim! Is the bolt that secures the pulley just a 3/8 shoulder bolt? I guess I need to look at my idler arm again. I found the pulleys at McMaster.com, although the idler pulley is a nylon made in USA. I would think Nylon would be alright? 

I can't say that I have tried, but I would NOT do a nylon pulley in this application. I think the clutch engagement and engine HP will melt or break it in short order. Steel will be best hopefully someone here can guide you to a source. 

• Like 1

WHX??

I dunno Brandon, gotta remember this is just a 4 hp and there is not a lot of stress on them in this application. At no time should the belt slip on this idler unless the bearing goes. .. I guess I wouldn't be afraid  to give it a whirl, I've wasted 15 bucks in worse ways!! :huh::)

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer
16 hours ago, WHX9 said:

I dunno Brandon, gotta remember this is just a 4 hp and there is not a lot of stress on them in this application. At no time should the belt slip on this idler unless the bearing goes. .. I guess I wouldn't be afraid  to give it a whirl, I've wasted 15 bucks in worse ways!! :huh::)

That's true, but I just cant see the nylon holding up well when the clutch is feathered in, but it surely would last for a little while assuming the belt angle is correct. You are right, $15 aint bad and may be worth a shot :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

Walleye

I ordered the pulley but have not installed it yet. Just need to come up with throttle and choke cables and I should be very close to running a K90 on the tractor for a short time until I have my K91 ready.