mikeeyre74

Keyway and hubs whipped.. this a good repair idea?

mikeeyre74

So, picked up a C120 Auto the other day and I'm going through it. The PO ran it with the hub bolts loose and it whipped the keyways and hubs pretty good. In looking over all the repair ideas, between Welding and cutting new grooves on the axle, I figure the latter is my best bet because my hubs are kind beat in the middle where the woodruff key seats... so if I do a full length keyway (about 2.25" near as I can figure..) it should grab the hub on either side of the busted up spot and still have plenty to grab onto. Sound reasonable? Here's some links of the damage, if you're interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dami1xuggumdls/Keyway 2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5u33eno0e3jquov/Keyway 3.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xthxgvg9ottlgzn/Keyway 4.jpg?dl=0

pfrederi

To me there doesn't seem to be much undamaged area in the hub.  Not a lot of good contact area.  i would replace the hubs. Since I do not have machine tools I would also replace the axles.  However if you could weld up the axles and cut new keyways go for it.

mikeeyre74

It probably doesn't look good from that picture, but if I go full length on the key across the entire length of the hub, there's more material on the two untouched parts of the hub combined than there was in just the middle section of the hub where the original woodruff made contact. I'm not too scared of the hub being the issue, I'm more concerned with the axle in this instance. Just wanted to check in with more knowledgeable folks to see if there was any issues with doing this to the axles. I considered even Welding up the old woodruff cut, but older posts suggest that's prob not necessary. Just checking to see if there was any new Intel for this issue is all.... thanks  for checking in!

pacer

Without seeing your parts I'll abstain from commenting on which method you choose to fix ...

However, I would - strongly - suggest adding one, or even two extra lock screws, our little tractors are notorious for developing this problem.

mikeeyre74

Now I'm scared to crack the case because the parts tree lookup from toro says the gasket isn't available? Ugh. 

rmaynard

If someone has a new one that can be used for a template, more could be reproduce fairly inexpensively. Member "Big Game" has 2-piece tank gaskets, but I don't know if he makes them himself.

Hacksawhero123

Many would probably disagree with this, but if it were my own machine, I would tig weld a new woodruff key in the axle and trim it up with a die grinder after installing new axle seals. It would have to be done patiently as to not cook the seal. Install good hubs with double set screw locks and don't look back. I know that if I had to change a seal or go into the axle again I would have to grind the welded key smooth and then either replace the axles or have new keyholes machined. But that's the kind of quick fix I would throw at it with my time. Best of luck. 

Mark

JAinVA

mykeere74,

The hubs are available and not too expensive.I would not waste the time with the ones you have.As a machinist I would rather deal with the axles out ot the case than the whole mess.If you go the full weld ,machine route I would go with a full lenghth key.Wheel Horse went with woodruff keys for economic reasons rather than any other,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA

953 nut

Take a look at @Ed Kennell's key way fix.

smoreau

Cutting new keyways in the axles is not for the novist machinest. They are very hard and will makes key cutter sing putting them in. I had the keys cut in my 875 in the same spot as the originals. The key was like a stock key with 3/4 wings, custom made. Worked great and the seals are still replacible. Best of all is no play with the original hubs. 

doc724
On 12/24/2016 at 1:07 PM, mikeeyre74 said:

Now I'm scared to crack the case because the parts tree lookup from toro says the gasket isn't available? Ugh. 

The gasket P/N for that vintage transaxle may not be available.  However, the gasket is available for newer transaxles and the design itself never changed.  It was likely only a material change so WH created a new P/N.  Check later 70's and early 80's models and then work your way into late 80's etc.

• Like 1