dirtnap

Problem with my snowblower

dirtnap

I got my 42" 79362 snowblower second hand.  I noticed that the idler sprockets were bad so I replaced both of those and figured that I'd do the chain at the same time.  Bought a length of #40 chain, counted the links and cut myself a new one.  The new one was about one link's length shorter that what was on there.  Perfect, that should take care of the slapping I had with the original.  So I put the new one on but still have chain slap and the chain rubs at the top opening of the housing where it comes out.  I have the operators manual but it doesn't show the proper chain routing.  I'm thinking I have it on wrong but it appears there's only one way it goes on one way.  Can anyone shed any light on this issue?  Perhaps a routing diagram or proper chain length for this blower?  Something doesn't look right and I think the previous owner may have had it on wrong.

Thanks a lot.

pfrederi

from the rive sprocket down under the auger sprocket then up to the top idler straight dowN and around the lower idler and back to the drive sprocket.

The lower idler is in a slot and can be moved if you loosen the 3/4" nut to tighten the chain

IMG_0045.JPG

• Like 3

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:I had the same problem Dirt... I think I even had to take an extra link out if I remember right. Check the drive sprocket as my was hooked real bad .. got a replacement from Motion.

Capture.JPG

Should look like this when on. I also had mine on wrong too so check that before taking any more links out.

• Like 2

doc724

Were the idler sprockets bad because of the bearings or because of the teeth were worn?  If you had to take out an "extra" link it is because the chain has stretched.  Look carefully at the sprocket on the auger.  If the chain was worn that much, the auger sprocket may be worn out.  If the tooth profile on the auger does not look like the tooth profile on the new sprockets, then it is time to replace it.  Not a trivial task but doable with some machining and welding skills.

• Like 1

dirtnap

Fantastic.  Thanks a million.  PO did have it on wrong.

The bearings were shot on the sprockets.  All teeth look good.  I didn't take an extra link out of the chain.  I said the chain had stretched a links length.  I may have the time tomorrow to route the chain the right way.  I'll report back.

Edited by dirtnap

WHX??

Yeah doc is right the chain will stretch after even the first workout so recheck it then. I used a cheaper grade chain because it's all I could get my grubby hands on at the time and it was lookin to snow. I had the link count dialed in so adjustment of the lower sprocket brought it right back in. After first use and regular there after I spray mine down with a good chain lube with the blower running at idle......be careful ther tho.... don't want to  see pics in bumps & bruises! Let us know if you need that link count.

• Like 2

dirtnap

She runs perfect now!

• Like 2