I agree! That is way too many words to describe what one picture could do! We are simple folk, ya know.....:flags-texas:

Y'all are making me jealous :text-lol: Think I might get bundled up and brave the cold in my little work shop and do some more cleaning, organizing, and get a list of what I need to run some electricity out to it

• Like 3

So had the pleasure of spending a little in Tom's @Shynon garage today and the thing I was most interested in was not his equipment, tractors or neatly disorganized clutter. It was this huge a$$ picture winow above a work bench. It was amazing how much natural light was let in and took away from that working in a cave feeling. Now excuse me whilst I go cut a big hole in the side of mine!

• Like 3

The window. Good luck Jim!

20170114_162929.jpg

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 9

Gotta have one!...thanks Tom!

• Like 2

I'm with you on that.

When I built my shop I put 2 large windows in each of the 3 walls without the big doors, a window in the man door and 2 windows in each of the 2 big doors.

Walls and ceiling are dry walled and painted white.

On a sunny day you can work with the lights off.

Also, it is nice to be able to see out while you work.

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Shynon said:

The window. Good luck Jim!

20170114_162929.jpg

I've spent many hours in this garage participating in horse talk......and it never gets tiring...:) 

• Like 6

As a bit of an audiophile, my question is......... where is the OTHER speaker, and is it the left OR right channel????

Having tunes IS very important when conducting serious repairs............

• Like 1

Yes I gotta have 2 speakers, want to share Pink Floyd with the neighbors.

received_1132911393424084.jpeg

• Like 1

oh yeah....Roger Waters, and the The Wall..........and all that entails......or........"Wish You Were Here" stuff.

Just where is the other speaker located?

It's not visible, and it certainly isn't front facing, listener oriented........

• Like 1

One the right, American flag is hanging from it. Above the cabinet with doors open 

Edited by Shynon

ok......at right angles then.......

• Like 1

Did I forget to mention the TV Tom?!?!

• Like 1

See here Tom I got a tv in mine, not a flat screen but if I had any brains I woulda got Cindy a new one for x-mass and I woulda got the old one for the shop....***** gettin old and can't think of those strategies 'forehand!:lol:

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Shynon said:

Yes I gotta have 2 speakers, want to share Pink Floyd with the neighbors.

Obviously you are a BIG Floyd fan...I spied your personal plate above the window...

image.jpeg

what at vehicle did you first run that on and when was that?:ychain:

18 hours ago, WHX9 said:

See here Tom I got a tv in mine, not a flat screen but if I had any brains I woulda got Cindy a new one for x-mass and I woulda got the old one for the shop....***** gettin old and can't think of those strategies 'forehand!:lol:

Boy Jim, you missed a golden opportunity there!  With those new TV sets and their promises of clearer and clearer pics, "everyone" has to have them.  So, there are perfect opportunities like you mentioned to get a shop tv!!!!  

• Like 2

:omg: Tom's user ID is Shynon & it took a licence plate???  :lol:

RIP Syd Barrett. http://www.sydbarrett.com/

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

what at vehicle did you first run that on and when was that

2008 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport

IMG_0236.JPG

• Like 2

Nice truck Tom, but I was picturing those plates on a vintage 1968 Charger with air shocks, dual antennas, and Cragar mags poking out the back wheel wells wrapped with N50-15 bias ply tires!  :greetings-clappingyellow:. Nothing like Floyd playing on an 8-track player with scratchy old 1970's speakers...

But hey, they are both Mopars!!!:handgestures-thumbupright:

I like your shop and concur with the guys on the big window.  I have two windows in my shop but it does have me asking myself if I want to make the one facing the east a larger window before I insulate and drywall it this summer.:think:

• Like 1

The main drawback to large windows is they cut down on available wall space for cabinets etc.

I guess they also let people see what you have (I have the doors open a lot in the summer so everyone driving by can see anyways).

Windows also will cut back on the insulation value a bit.

• Like 3

Some of you may know I was lucky enough to inherit my shop/garage from my late uncle who was a car guy. He had four 30 X 42 windows that let in a nice amount of light. Unfortunately, when his daughters sold his adjacent home it was to a landlord who is currently renting to alleged drug dealers. They haven't given me any trouble in the 18 months I've owned the garage but I don't trust them. To keep the windows but increase security I made internal shutters out of 3/4" plywood and barrel locks. The side of the plywood that faces the windows I painted a dark color so it just looks like a dark interior of a building when closed. When open it gives me full function of the windows. 

image.jpeg

Exterior View

image.jpeg

Inside view closed

image.jpeg

Inside view with one side open

It gives me extra piece of mind while I'm gone since I live a few miles away. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

Some of you may know I was lucky enough to inherit my shop/garage from my late uncle who was a car guy. He had four 30 X 42 windows that let in a nice amount of light. Unfortunately, when his daughters sold his adjacent home it was to a landlord who is currently renting to alleged drug dealers. They haven't given me any trouble in the 18 months I've owned the garage but I don't trust them. To keep the windows but increase security I made internal shutters out of 3/4" plywood and barrel locks. The side of the plywood that faces the windows I painted a dark color so it just looks like a dark interior of a building when closed. When open it gives me full function of the windows. 

image.jpeg

Exterior View

image.jpeg

Inside view closed

image.jpeg

Inside view with one side open

It gives me extra piece of mind while I'm gone since I live a few miles away. 

My shop is about 8 miles from where I live in a tiny community and I am a little paranoid as well. Only one window with the bottom about 6 foot off the ground. Blinds on it too. I have good neighbors though that look out for my shop. My son and his buddies went out there to drink a little beer one night and didn't let the neighbor know, they were met by Zach in his underwear and a 9mm! They let him know from now on!

Randy

• Like 5