Sarge

Delta DP 220 drill press

Sarge

I recently found a local CL ad for an old drill press - turns out it was an older Delta DP 220 in great condition except it was missing the clock spring for lifting the quill assembly . Need to figure out what vintage this thing is and get a correct spring for it . Otherwise ,exceptional condition other than a couple of "holes of shame" in the table . Also want to get another step pulley for the motor as it runs far too fast for most metal work and just need this small bench top unit for doing small and lightweight parts . Still hunting a solid Powermatic or similar for a main large machine for heavier stuff .

Delta DP220.jpg

Delta DP220 2.jpg

Delta DP220 3.jpg

Nice old cast iron equipment , no real play in the quill other than the chuck that's on it and I'll probably upgrade that soon .

I believe this one is from the 50's from some quick internet searching , need to look deeper into the machinery forums when I have time .

Sarge

• Like 6

ACman

Nice score @Sarge  :handgestures-thumbupright: ! I should get some pics of the dinosaur of a drill press at our family's old AC dealership . It's run of a old leather flat belt it's a beast .

WHX??

Nice...that was made with old school steel. I would maybe call Delta since they are still around and see if they can shed some light on it. That pulley on the motor is the adjustable style and looks to be the 3 3/4" flavor. Might have a 1/2' bore. Looks like you can open it a couple of turns more to go slower and if that don't do it drop to the same thing in the 3" size or look for a step pulley like the driven side.  I have never had to vary the speed of my presses once I found that sweet spot speed.

Edited by WHX9
spell

Jeff R.

That is a nice find Sarge.  I have a old Craftsman bench top drill press that I think dates back to around 1949 that I was given after my neighbor passed away.  It is alli can do to lift it up on my workbench by myself.  These are solid machines that will outlast us. 

gwest_ca

Is that a 14" floor model?

Garry

roadapples

Nice find, and like many of us you need a bigger shop...:rolleyes:

Sarge

It's an old bench model . A gentleman had it and had been using it for wood working duties for about 20yrs and couldn't even remember where he got it from but it's been passed down and taken care of for years .

Yeah - I really need a bigger shop , just passed up a nice old 10" Atlas lathe due to lack of room . It was nice enough I refused to stick it out in a storage unit so I let it go to someone else .

In their current form Delta doesn't know squat about these older machines but there are collector machine forums that have some amazing experts just as we do here with our tractors .

I'll be hunting a step pulley for sure to get it down in speed ranges , easy enough to do and have seen guys add a middle idler set on top of the column so the original machine isn't altered . I'd like to half keep it as-is and not damage it for further antique quality , lol...

The old flat belt units will surprise you - there is far more torque transfer in flat belts than one would expect , more than enough to hurt a person .

I need to spend some serious "quality time" on the old Enco lathe - it needs some pretty serious repairs to the head seals , main carriage is running quite loose (pins) as well as the cross feed . It's getting hard to keep the bearings topped up with oil and chase the slop in it which takes too much of my time .

Sarge

• Like 1

JC 1965

Great lookin old drill press, good condition too.     :thumbs2:  Thanks for sharing.

Sarge

I won't show the pics of the old Atlas I passed up - don't want folks tossing up breakfast on their keyboards....

Sarge

• Like 1

Sarge

No tag - some genius removed it for painting is my guess .

Got another drill press , albeit slightly bigger - Clausing 1810 , waiting to be cleaned up , re-wired and put into service when I can figure out how to stuff it in the shop .

Sarge