T-Mo

Predator 22 HP at Harbor Freight

T-Mo

I know there are a few threads and posts here on using the Predator engines on Wheel Horses.  And I know @bowtieguy has one on his C-175, as I saw and heard it run in person.  We just had a Harbor Freight store open up near me, in Farmington, Missouri.  Sunday I went in and looked around and got me free gift and bought a drill kit and a hand winch.  While I was there I took a look again at the Predator engines, specifically the 22 hp.

My '88 416-8 has over 3650 hours on it and it still runs good.  But it does smoke a bit and I did noticed a lot of crude on the spark plug.  All indications that the 16 hp Magnum will probably need some attention in the near future.  But the 416-8 may get a Predator 22 hp engine, if and when the Kohler Magnum finally gives it up.  I hope it don't but, I would be excited to have a 422-8!:greetings-clappingyellow:

In the meantime I might pull the head off the Magnum and have a look around and maybe do some cleaning.

• Like 5

Aldon

I just bought one for my 8 speed GT14 project. They were running a rare sail on them got 70 off so around 600

• Like 4

JackC

"My '88 416-8 has over 3650 hours on it and it still runs good."    Congratulations.

It seems we should have a place to keep track of those kind of figures, along with some comments on usage, what was done or helpful hints, to achieve those kind of figures..That is also a lot of seat time.

• Like 2

slammer302

After seeing and riding bowtieguy's C-175 with the predator. I would like to find a nice 520H with 60" deck that has a bad motor and do the predator 22 swap.

• Like 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, Aldon said:

8 speed GT14 project.

:wwp:    Have you been holding out on us?     :angry-tappingfoot:    An 8 speed with tall 15" tires will be FAST, couple that to a 22 HP engine and it will be :wicked:.  :omg:  please tell us more! :happy-wavemulticolor:

• Like 4

Aldon
On 12/21/2016 at 8:21 PM, 953 nut said:

:wwp:    Have you been holding out on us?     :angry-tappingfoot:    An 8 speed with tall 15" tires will be FAST, couple that to a 22 HP engine and it will be :wicked:.  :omg:  please tell us more! :happy-wavemulticolor:

I'll start a thread in January. Need to make sure I get the 8 speed modification working. It's the foundation of the whole project. Went with the 22hp for power more than speed. Should be a beast!

• Like 6

Rob R
2 hours ago, Aldon said:

I'll start a thread in January. Need to make sure I get the 8 speed modification working. It's the foundation of the whole project. Went with the 22hp for power more than speed. Should be a beast!

Merry Christmas Aldon, if you get the "beast" running do you intend on bring it to the "show".... making it the "Show Beast" 

• Like 2

T-Mo
On 12/21/2016 at 6:05 PM, slammer302 said:

After seeing and riding bowtieguy's C-175 with the predator. I would like to find a nice 520H with 60" deck that has a bad motor and do the predator 22 swap.

There was one a month or two back on CL with no engine.  I don't know if it had the deck or not with it, but it was a 520-H.  If it's still on CL and I can find it again, I'll pm you the link.

Aldon

I do plan to bring it to the Big show if it's done. A lot has to go right for that to happen. 

I expect many beasts to be there since the focus is on the 520 this year.

• Like 2

swisstrac

itis refreshing to see all these new ideas !  speaks volume about necessity being the mother of all inventions!    Merry Christmas  to one and all and many thanks for all your help with my gt 14 project//Raymond crettol

• Like 3

Rob R

Aldon going NON WH - Kohler with a Predator Beast.....   be careful the Gods don't smile on you with this project..... you always want Odin on your side...! Seriously if anyone can make this happen it's you (if you mind is made-up) Key to really measure the exact existing location  (vertical and horizontal) or where the existing Kohler output shaft is IF you match this Exactly with the new engine will be cake. 

Also don't forget the main shaft side pressure issue (PTO Clutch) .... but I assume you will using an "electric" clutch?  Merry Chtistmas!

Edited by rgrottk

Team70R

I just finished a predator 6.5hp swap on my 606 and couldn't be happier!! Puts the poor old tecumseh to shame!

cschannuth

I have a 606 roller and did the same. It runs strong. Plus I upsized the engine pulley by an inch and it runs a little over 8 mph at w.o.t. Rolling along at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle it's running 6 mph. Made it a great tow/chore tractor. I would never replace a good Kohler or Briggs with the Predator but if you need a cheap engine it seems to be a good choice. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3