Sign in to follow this  
williambogner

Help. Dont know where to start.

williambogner

:thumbs: Im screwed! I picked up a D 160 off of sparky(mike in andover) the other day. Its a great running machine but could use some paint so im going to strip it down and paint it. I dont have a clue where to start. The paints somewhat faded but no rust or corroded spots. I was thinking of sanding it down, priming it with...and then painted it with...haha IH Red, or Rustoleum Safety Red. Im not sure what grit to sand with. how many coats of primer.and how many coats of paint. Also where do i find the certain paint that you experts recommend. All the help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Coadster32

You are a red square member... which means you are not screwed. :thumbs: The painting section has loads of awesome tips in it. Soak it all in and then go to town. You can do it, we can help. Remember, you don't have to strip the parts if the paint is good. :whistle:

TJ

IH red is good. I used the "New TORO" red in the rattle cans, but at $9.00 a can, a little expensive.

I use a sandblaster fo stripping, and a single coat of Rustolem for undercoating.

I'm sure there are better ways of painting, but this works for Me.

TT

You are here on a computer, right? Do a search for paint & bodywork tips, processes, etc. at Google, Yahoo, Ask.com, etc.

No one has the time to explain everything to you from beginning to end, but if you look around this forum a little, you might be surprised at what is already here.

Do you have access to a public library? Maybe you could find a handbook or manual there. :thumbs:

linen beige

I whole heartedly agree that you should start by educating yourself about the many techniques for refinishing these machines. The public library and the internet are excellent sources of info. Books on auto restoration can be very helpful as they tend to deal with the types of painting processes used on these as well.

You may even want to "hang around" a GOOD local body shop if you can. Most GOOD body men are proud of their abilities and are willing to teach, or at least talk about, their skills.

Oh! and there is a LOT of great info right here on this sight. Some of the members are professional body men and really know their stuff.

stevebo

William,

you can call me and we can talk. i think maybe we can work out a deal for me painting your parts....steve bo 203 448-9310-

WHC-125

Steve,

What about me and the C-125? :thumbs: :whistle:

stevebo

i can paint your c125 for you, all i need is that new shiny 702 in exchange.. :thumbs:

Electro12WH

Good solid original paint is more solid than new primer. Don't strip it all off. Sand it down and go from there. mytractorforum.com ( am I allowed to say that here?) has a sticky dealing with painting.

WHC-125

702 for the 312 :thumbs:

williambogner

I appreciate the offer Steve, but I rather learn myself. Thanks for the "assistance" everyone. I guess i got some homework to do. Btw im only 14 and dont have any family members interested in the hobby so its somewhat hard to learn by myself but hopefully you guys are there to help. Thanks William

stevebo

william,

you can call me with questions. good luck-

WHC-125

William,

I am only 15 (almost 16). And have been around tractors, tri axles, tractor trailers, and anything with a motor practically since i was born. :whistle:

And I got Steve really into Wheel Horses when we did a trade back in September. :thumbs:

stevebo

chris,

so you are taking credit for my addiction :whistle: :thumbs:

WHC-125

Guilty as charged :thumbs:

joebob

I appreciate the offer Steve, but I rather learn myself. Thanks for the "assistance" everyone. I guess i got some homework to do. Btw im only 14 and dont have any family members interested in the hobby so its somewhat hard to learn by myself but hopefully you guys are there to help. Thanks William

web/books will help with the basics , the best thing is to start start small with some of the smaller pieces , and learn from them before you tackle the hood/ fender size panels, that way if you make a mistake there is not alot to rework if you have too, and you wont get to deep in it you decide bodywork is not for you ,the paint materals vary so much so dont get to caught up in to whats best, till you learn some of the basics and you will figure out what works best for you , and for the starting sand paper grit ,it depends on condition of the panels to start with ,and the final grit is to what you want for a final smooth finish after it's painted, some of the bigger mistakes are sanding with too fine of a grit of sandpaper to start with ,and using it till it's not sandpaper any more and then wondering why it takes so long to sand something and your leaving chips and scratches still,The sandpaper quit working long before you realized it or you thought one piece would sand the whole thing ,refinishing is not a cheep process and saving a couple sheets of sandpaper is not worth it ,you will spend more then that redoing it again, the same with every thing else you'll use Good Luck and post some photos of your progress