Greg_D

Kohler 181 rod

Greg_D

Restoring a wheel horse 856 and tore down the k181. It has a rod that has the numbers 231785 on it. I can't find info on that number. Is it original or aftermarket and is STD or oversize? Thanks

Terry M

If it was oversized, I'm  thinking it may have a .010 stamped on it.   Not sure on rods though.....

slammer302

Rods that are .010 under sized will have a small hole drilled in them

You will need to measure the rod and crank just to make sure when rebuilding.

• Like 4

Greg_D

Thanks. I'm wondering if the rod is good one as well or if I should replace it. That's why I was wondering if it was OEM Kohler.

slammer302

I usually put in a new one unless I know it's been replaced recently. Most all k181 Kohler rods are the same as long as the size is right. And make sure the one you buy has the oil dipper on it. I've seen sum for sale that didn't have the dipper on the end cap.

Greg_D

Thanks. I was looking at the kits on eBay and figured if my rod was a good one I would just buy a piston kit. 

slammer302

I've used the eBay kits and have no complaints. But sum will say to only use genuine Kohler. 

• Like 3

BOB ELLISON
12 minutes ago, Greg_D said:

Thanks. I was looking at the kits on eBay and figured if my rod was a good one I would just buy a piston kit. 

I would replace the rod as well. They get Metal fatigue and get hair line cracks that you can't see unless under a magnifying scope. For a few dollars more don't take a chance or the next time you rebuild it could cost a lot more.

• Like 3

Terry M
1 hour ago, slammer302 said:

Rods that are .010 under sized will have a small hole drilled in them

You will need to measure the rod and crank just to make sure when rebuilding.

Sorry, I meant undersized.. Slammer, where would the hole be?   And would that be In all under sized rods, Kohler and after market?  

Learning moment for me.....doing my first Kohler rebuild soon..

Greg_D

Good to hear slammer. I thought the same thing Bob but wondered if it was an original Kohler if I'd be better off keeping it vs an aftermarket rod.

slammer302
14 minutes ago, Terry M said:

Sorry, I meant undersized.. Slammer, where would the hole be?   And would that be In all under sized rods, Kohler and after market?  

Learning moment for me.....doing my first Kohler rebuild soon..

I believe it's a Kohler thing it's in the skinny middle part of the rod. I used to have one somewhere 

• Like 1

Shynon

.010rod.jpg

• Like 2

Terry M

Thanks Tom!!:)

Jerm’s Dad

When tearing mine down, the dipper seems to have had a 2 piece sleeve pinned to it. Found it in the bottom of the oil pan. Has anyone ever seen this?

richmondred01

Mic the journal. At minimum have journal polished. Always replace the rod with a new one.  

If all is in spec you can run the engine for another 30 years with not worrying about not doing it right the first time. 

Edited by richmondred01

953 nut

:WRS:             You should take the crank and block to a good machine shop and have it measured before you buy anything. I can do some down and dirty measuring at home, but if you are going to rebuild an engine the little money you will spend having it measured will probably pay big dividends in the long run. If you polish the crank and hone the cylinder and build it with old or new parts you may not be pleased with the results if the cylinder or crank were not in spec.

• Thanks 1