gt4

Wheelhorse information

gt4

It amazes me how some of you seem to know everything about wheelhorse tractors.How did you aquire all this knowledge? And is there some big "bible"of wheelhorse in which one could buy to find out the history, and get to know all the in and outs of these tractors

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Karl has suggested the second best source of information I know of for Wheel Horse knowledge; the very best is right here. Read and be inquisitive about all of the postings on this site and you will gain so much information that it will astonish you. If you don't understand something; ask, lots of great people on here will provide answers;  some of them might even be the correct answer!   :ychain:

some of them might even be the correct answer!   :ychain: I have to agree on this. Most of the time. But Hey that is why we have this site to keep us from making mistakes.

• Like 3

Mike'sHorseBarn

The book definitely helps, but having a place such as RedSquare where all these guys and gals who have years of experience working on these machines is absolutely invaluable! I learn something every time I log onto this site!

If you would like to buy the book, here is a link to do so.

http://wheelhorsestory.com/home/8-straight-from-the-horse-s-mouth-the-wheel-horse-story.html

Mike

• Like 5

formariz

In my opinion the"real" reason why so many here are so knowledgeable about Wheel horses, is really the love and dedication that everyone has developed for them. That is the reason that led most if not all of us to research about them, and eventually find this place where our questions can be answered. The book is a great source of historical information, but the actual content of this site is the real treasure. Not only for the actual information and knowledge already existing in it, but for the steady flow of ideas and innovations constantly being introduced by members from all walks of life with all kinds of skills talents and experiences.

Personally I can tell you that although I am skilled in other areas, prior to owning a Wheel Horse I had neither the ability nor the inclination whatsoever towards this type of machinery and their workings. If lawn mower wouldn't start off to the shop it was. Now I probably would not do that if my life depended on it, and the very opposite occurs, people bring their stuff here. And all because of a cute rusty little red tractor that was just too cute to leave there, and just captivated our hearts once here.

Giving now more credit to the book mentioned, its greatest contribution to me was not as much the historical value  and information  contained in it, but the story in it. That a family together in difficult times can not only overcome the obstacles of life and survive by utilizing the resources and opportunities around them, but also achieve great things in the process, that will positively impact the lives of many others. I can with certainty say that it has definitely impacted our lives here for at least two generations.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 9

Sarge

I agree 100% - it's become almost a pain to have everyone around here trying to use me as a resource to fix their equipment since the dealers in this area are priced pretty high and seem to take their time getting equipment repaired and back to their owners . I have a neighbor that's very impressive with how fast she can kill a lawn mower - it's become a challenge to see how long they will run before coming back again . She's finally slowing down with health issues to they have a chance to live longer ,she just can't push them past the limit anymore but still buys really cheap junk and runs it to death quickly . Maybe I just need to build her a Horse ...ugh .

I've learned so much here about all the little specific things a detail oriented guy like me wants to know - that info is found nowhere else and I hope someone is saving all this info somewhere for future catastrophic problems if the site ever goes down again . Karl and the moderators have done such a phenomenal job of keeping everything neat and organized and the search engine works quite well - you just have to invest the time to learn and I've spent countless hours reading and learning - I love this site .

Sarge

• Like 7

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I only have learned by the others teaching and helping me. I have a long way to go, there are some real pros here, and I am very grateful for the advice they give me.

Glenn

• Like 5

953 nut
3 hours ago, Sarge said:

Karl and the moderators have done such a phenomenal job of keeping everything neat and organized and the search engine works quite well - you just have to invest the time to learn and I've spent countless hours reading and learning - I love this site .

:text-bravo:  Well said, I have copied some of the threads and saved them to a RED flash drive because they are so great.

• Like 4

Retired Wrencher
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:55 PM, 953 nut said:

:text-bravo:  Well said, I have copied some of the threads and saved them to a RED flash drive because they are so great.

Richard I do the same. Save it. So much info very valuable.

• Like 3

JC 1965

On several occasions over the years I have had problems with my  :wh: tractors. If it wasn't for the fine folks here on this forum, I would have been pulling my hair out. I've learned quite a bit but still need some help now and then. Thanks everyone for your help over the years.   :thumbs2:

• Like 4

Tankman

Red Square = Wheel Horse

• Like 2

Al C.
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, Sarge said:

... I hope someone is saving all this info somewhere for future catastrophic problems if the site ever goes down again . Karl and the moderators have done such a phenomenal job of keeping everything neat and organized and the search engine works quite well - you just have to invest the time to learn and I've spent countless hours reading and learning - I love this site .

Sarge

Is this something that we all should be concerned about?  Collectively, it is the "Supporters" who own this site.  The sense I have is that it is well managed from both a content and technological point of view.  Technologically, there are certain standards by which well run sites are maintained, i.e., backup (hardware, software, power), redundancy (virtual and geographical), upgrades, firewalls, malware/virus protection, etc..  If their is a concern in these areas by the individuals who manage the site, I think we should all be aware of this.  There is just too much information and organization on this site to effectively copy it to a thumb drive.  I for one am certainly happy to kick in a few extra dollars each year if it ensures the site is sustainable.

• Like 4

nylyon

Yes and no.  The site is owned by me, I hold all the licenses, contracts and manage all the bills, as well as do all of the upgrades, maintenance and technical modifications. I do have protection in place say I get run over by a truck, there are others who have access to the "keys" to be able to keep things going.  The supporters role is critical, as it is the supporter dollars which pay those bills, since I have no desire to fund the forum personally.  There are no concerns over our technical stability (or at least from me) and the site is properly protected.

The mention of the site going down again is a reference to our 2011 forum outage.  When RedSquare was established, it was started on one of those "free" forum sites.  Unfortunately, the terms of service did not include the "owner of the forum" to have a copy of their data.  That forum company began having serious issues, which eventually led to them going out of business, then being acquired by another company.  I was able to "crawl" the forum extracting all the posts, and members (minus e-mail and passwords) to build what you see today.  

Today, we are on a premium cloud hosting partner, and we own our data, license our forum software, themes (such as the Christmas theme), so the risks associated with the previous 2011 outage no longer exist.

• Like 7

Sarge

I should apologize , Karl - never meant to stir up a hornet's nest and I know you protect the site a lot better than most . My issue is trust with high loads of information from previous experiences other than here - the ORC offroad site went down , got bought out and they obliterated most of the old information - the Toyota and Suzuki boards lost terabytes of info and some of that stuff could not be re-copied since we had factory people putting up some pretty guarded information , that really hurt a lot as I spent years writing tech articles for everyone . We lost digital factory drawings , cad files and service manuals that were never found anywhere else , stuff that is irreplaceable - people are still angry about it today .

With Red Square - there is no other site anywhere that has nearly the wealth of knowledge contained in one place on all things Wheel Horse . I guess my point is I hope there is a way to keep it as a running archive so it cannot be lost (I'm about as internet tech savvy as my dead grandmother) because most of this information cannot be found via simple internet searching .

I was really relieved when I saw Red Square popping back up - it looked different but everything was there and that to me was a miracle . I didn't even know it had been recovered for a long time until 2 members from the old group gave me a heads up via emails . I too wouldn't be against chipping in extra funds yearly to keep it as a resource and honestly it almost should be a more limited access site to those who don't want to contribute but that may push new folks away so who knows...?

Sarge

• Like 1

Al C.

Thank you for this background.  I am a former chief technology officer and I know we all take the operation of this site for granted.  Since we never talk about it, it concerned me when I read the note mentioning flash drive backup and questioning catostropic sustainability.  The information and connectivity provided by this site are very valuable.  I am glad to understand that it is being managed appropriately.  Someday you might consider sharing some of the more technical aspects of the site (host provider, architecture, application/database provider, upgrade outlook, patch and vulnerability remediation plans, etc.) with us.  I am sure it is interesting and it would shed some light on the work that you and the moderators do in the background to keep the lights on.  Thanks for all you do!

• Like 1

nylyon

If it helps, I am a Senior SAP Cloud Architect with IBM handling complex solutions.  I have no problem sharing, but I'm not interested in publishing forum operations, architecture, maintenance processes or providers for public consumption, however if you're buying the beer, the sky's the limit :) 

• Like 2

Al C.

I use to visit and share beers with your mainframe team in Poughkeepsie, New York.  Great guys and gals!!  Just let us know if there is ever a material risk you foresee that the Supporters' support is insufficient to cover.  Thanks!

• Like 1

nylyon

Thank you, I will, and my office used to be in building 52 in POK

elcamino/wheelhorse

Karl , All I can say is you do a great job.. For the less tech savy  (ME ) thank you.:text-bravo:  

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Like 2

tunahead72
5 hours ago, nylyon said:

... I do have protection in place say I get run over by a truck, ...

:omg: Karl, that's not funny.  :shock:

• Like 2

oldlineman

You do a great job Karl, i'm a paper and pencil guy myself but stumble around on this computer a bit. Put my son through 6 years college, computer science, programmer, software developer, he is my go to teck guy, he owes me.

953 nut
9 hours ago, Al C. said:

copy it to a thumb drive.

The threads I copy are for easy retrieval, can't always find them as easily using search function.

8 hours ago, nylyon said:

I do have protection in place say I get run over by a truck,

Please don't let this happen again!   We are all glad you survived the first one a couple of years ago; that was your first, right. :ychain:

• Like 1

nylyon
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Please don't let this happen again!   We are all glad you survived the first one a couple of years ago; that was your first, right. :ychain:

Doubt I could be lucky twice :auto-ambulance:

• Like 1