greyhound

42 inch snow blower parts

greyhound

Hello All,  

I have a 06-42ST04-42 inch snow blower.just brought it out for some snow removal and seen where the drive shaft was junk and the two bearings on the ends were junk also. Looked at the  toro website for parts and was shocked to see the prices.Took the drive shaft to machine shop and getting one made for 60.00.Can I buy or order bearings from TCS store, have not checked yet.Got to be a better and cheaper place than toro.My father replaced them once and he did not complain about cost like he did with his wood chipper.Thank You for your support.    greyhound

Walt

I got just the bearings (used my original housings) from motion industries you could also check napa.

:WRS: 

Edited by Walt

greyhound

Will have to check those options out. The guy that I buy parts from for my mowers and chainsaws, told me that for the bearings I could get local and save money at the same time.I guess the wheel horse is like my old cars.They are made good and still going strong then they discontinue parts then you have to find options for them.Thanks for the fast posting.  greyhound

moe1965

I used the same type of bearing  but with a different od and still the original id. There for I had to replace the bearing cup holders.    The three bolt pattern is close  but you have to Mill out or file the hole on the new bearing cup to fit where they go through the blower. The reason I did this is because the original bearings are hard to find and if you do they are pricy.   The bearing I ended up using are more readily available and cost about 12 bucks.   Hope this helped.  

greyhound

Hello Again,

I just picked up my new shaft from the machine shop.It cost me 40.00 dollars for the new shaft.Was surprised at the cost.Now I will check on the bearings next.Thanks for all the support,need some insight for sure.Thanks            will let you know on the bearing soon.      greyhound

seuadr

I have not rebuilt my blower yet, but in general i get a lot of my bearings ftom napa or fastenal. They are a lot cheaper. 

I replaced wheel bearings on my venture.. 80 dollars from the dealer, 10 from fastenal. The ones from fastenal were virtually identical, except they were in a different box.

Sarge

If you have a main shaft that gets destroyed by bad bearings , ect - it's easy to find 1018 steel at almost any welding shop and it's a commonly used metal alloy for shaft material . Quite strong , resistant to bending/galling and pricing isn't bad at all - not much more that cold rolled or hot rolled 60 series steel . It is a bit harder to drill , just take your time and use a good lubricant like paraffin wax , ATF , ect - might be necessary to use a cobalt drill bit . Try to specify USA metal - some of the imported stuff has some bad contaminates in it right now and is likely undersized or oversized , plus it welds like crap .

Sarge

greyhound

Merry Christmas all,

Sort of lucked out while looking on craigslist. Found a 42 inch snow blower like mine and a smaller one that is a 30 inch with wheels instead of glides. All for 150 bucks. Now the lotto.   LOL         greyhound

lynnmor

1018 is cold rolled steel and is pretty much the bottom of the barrel.  It is soft and easy to machine and weld, but there are much better choices if you want strength, hardness or wear resistance.

can whlvr

don't forget that the shafts have a key way on both ends,replacement shafts are available,i get mine at a place called princess auto,but I don't think thay are in the us,anyway its a good way to replace the shaft without breaking the bank

Sarge
On 12/25/2016 at 9:59 AM, lynnmor said:

1018 is cold rolled steel and is pretty much the bottom of the barrel.  It is soft and easy to machine and weld, but there are much better choices if you want strength, hardness or wear resistance.

Yes, there is definitely better steel out there , if I hadn't been in a hurry I'd ordered much better shaft material since no one around here carries any real decent steels in stock unless it's a special order mistake . Never had an issue yet with using 1018 cold rolled for the blower main shaft - it's outlived the housing shell now and probably has well over 100hrs on it with zero wobble . Fist-sized rocks are tough on sheet metal for sure...but the auger and shaft survived just fine , albeit a bit rolled on it's edges .

Sarge

greyhound

Well things always break down at the worst times. You can only fix what you can spend at the moment then you will get it again later .Right now its great no snow here yet in west central ohio. That gives me more time to get the parts and back together before the January snow. Guess now  would be a good time to change the oil and filter too. Thanks again for the replys. I enjoy reading all the topics from the wheel horse site. Its like having your grandpa helping you out.

WheelieMan74

hey all I first time poster here.  Just purchased an old 6-6211 single stage snowblower off craigslist in the hopes it would match up with my 1989 416-8 and go figure its not a good match. I bought this single stage snowblower on the advice of someone else who owned a 416-8 and from what I can see so far I gotta mod the hell outta it to make it fit. Has anyone else had this blower before and had to make it fit a 4 series? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

gwest_ca
17 minutes ago, 200newb said:

hey all I first time poster here.  Just purchased an old 6-6211 single stage snowblower off craigslist in the hopes it would match up with my 1989 416-8 and go figure its not a good match. I bought this single stage snowblower on the advice of someone else who owned a 416-8 and from what I can see so far I gotta mod the hell outta it to make it fit. Has anyone else had this blower before and had to make it fit a 4 series? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

You should really start your own thread so it is easier for everyone to follow along.

The 6-6211 was the basic unit that required a completeing package to make it fit the various models. If it has this one it should fit the 416-8

The big difference was 1973 was the first year for the front quick hitch.

Just the items with numbers on the illustration are included in the kit. Should not be hard to make whatever you have fit.

Here is the basic unit so you have both manuals.

Garry

greyhound

Hello All,

Just a short note.Just finished getting my snow blower ready for winter thanks to the friendly people here on the forum.The worst part we have not had any snow yet.This may be old news to some,I bought somw parts from mowpart.com,Fast service and nice parts.Looked up other parts for my 418 a and they had them also.Saved some money too. Thanks   greyhound