Razkid

1990 44" Snowblower shear bolts?

Razkid

Looking over the 0644SC01 snowblower on my 520-H, I noticed bolt #11 is not the original bolt. Is this supposed to be a shear bolt or just an ordinary bolt? Are there any shear bolts or keys that should be kept in stock or periodically replaced for these blowers? I had a gearbox destroyed due to a shear pin not breaking when it should have on another snowblower so want to avoid any problems with this one! 

Snowblower diagram.pdf

wallfish

#11 should be a shear bolt. Keys are for the shaft in the gearbox.

You can get shear bolts or shear pins at any good hardware store or mower shop.

The sucky part is getting the little leftover piece out of the shaft hole after it shears. It's not uncommon for those shear bolts not to shear in time before destroying a gearbox. Some of those cheap gearboxes use a brass worm gear and are easily destroyed. Seems to me the shear pins also get more difficult to shear the colder it gets too, just the conditions when you want it to shear but it's definitely better than a regular bolt.  

Edited by wallfish

Forest Road

It's been a few years since I rebuilt my blower. If I recall my dealer told Toro uses regular bolts in their blowers. Pretty sure mine had standard bolts and still does. It's taken on plenty of frozen solid snow banks and still going strong. 

BaySide1

I bought the last 6 shear pins my local toro dealer had in stock last year. told me that it was a good number and he would get more

WVHillbilly520H

They sell shear bolts at TSC that's where I got mine when I refurbished the deuce 2 years,I believe they're 5/16" diameter sold in 3pks, so you'll have at least 2 spares when replacing all new, Jeff