Dafixer

42 inch RD question

Dafixer

While everyone else is plowing snow im servicing my sumnmer stuff..no snow to speak of here in WV. I have and older 211 with a 36 inch Rd deck and the deck itself is totally free floating, the 42 inch on my 07 classic always seems to ride the ground..the manual says that the dial a height is not for mowing and for attachments only..seems to me that the deck should be somewhat "free-floating". Is this normal or maybe the deck is setup wrong? The deck on the classic was setup by the dealer when I bought it new .. Any tips would be helpful...Thanks

:hide:

Rollerman

Dafixer the dial a height is for attachments & not mowing?

Your gauge wheel setting on the mower deck itself determins the height it will cut...not the dial a height?

The "Dial A Height" will limit how much down travel an attachment will have....like a snow plow or when used with a rear lift a garden plow or disc.

If it's limiting how much down travel you have with the deck on...it could prevent it from droping down & following the ground "floating" with it's gauge wheels.

Dafixer

Thats what the manual said about the dial a height but im not totally convinced of that..maybe i need to adjust the lowest drop point on my lift lever so it wont be on the ground? just dont seem right that the deck rides on the ground...all the parts appear to be there from the diagrams and nowhere does it say to use the DAH for deck height... i wonder if i raised it with the DAH if it would place too much stress on the lift mechanisim? still :thumbs:

TT

You didn't specify exactly how old your 211 is, but I'm guessing it's older than a 1989.

It is a lawn tractor and has a different mower deck attachment system than a garden tractor. If it's one of the older models, the front deck mount is bolstered via the front axle mount, allowing the deck to "swing" - sort of like a hammock tied between two trees. (best description I could think up. :thumbs: )

As for your '07 Classic......

Unless you want the height of cut to be more than the highest setting that the gauge wheels will allow, the weight of these mowers should be supported mainly by the rear wheel/roller mounting bar and the rod that connects to the mounting carriage from that bar. The gauge wheels (and the weight of the deck) should be on the ground except when transporting.

The anti-scalping rollers on the front of the deck normally do not touch the ground when the deck is in the lowered position on a level surface. They are there to push the deck up when approaching a raised area. They may touch the ground with the deck set at the lowest height setting, but I have never seen anyone cut grass that short.

These decks should actually roll across the ground and are merely pulled along under the tractor by the mid-mount Attach-Matic hitch. The nut on the rear adjustment rod controls the front to rear height relationship and should be adjusted so the front edge of the deck is

Teddy da Bear
but I have never seen anyone cut grass that short.
Terry has not seen my golf course... :thumbs::whistle: :whistle:

Dafixer

Thanks for the size up. Thats the way the deck is..with the gauge wheels taking the weight and the scalp wheels getting up and over the rough spots. I was used to the old 211 and the "hammock" action, never hitting at all..or maybe this one is not right either but it works... thanks again...

Jim