Duramax7man7

Hydraulic controlled Snow Plow Angle?

Duramax7man7

Just curious....

Has anyone ever attempted this on a Snow Plow and 520h or any other Wheel horse for that matter?

WVHillbilly520H

I'm sure if you plumbed into the hydraulic circuit and added another control valve handle like on the green machines 3/400 series or CC 82 series and such that have front remotes, it can/could be done, or without hydraulics a 12 volt linear actuator could work also, and I believe I've seen it on here before that another member has done just this ,try using the search feature,Jeff.

• Like 2

Hacksawhero123

I'm collecting parts now to do something like that. I have an extra spool valve to stack with the original. I plan on building a blade and using quick connect fittings on the hoses to the extra valve. It will be a while before I get started on this project but just wanted to toss the idea out. 

Mark. 

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Ah gotcha and COOL!~ 

Would the hydraulic cylinder be enough to lock it in place if on an angle or would there still be a need for a manual pin lock like on the angle arm now?

KC9KAS

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I think a search on here will show others have successfully done this.

• Like 3

Duramax7man7

NO!? That's a good thing! I'll search for it. 

pfrederi

An electric unit would be painfully slow.  It is easy and quick to  pull the handle

Duramax7man7

I wouldnt want an electeic one moving snow... Hydraulic would be my choice. 

slammer302

I seen one posted on Columbia MO CL looked like a good setup. It had a pump mounted to the PTO like you  would use for FEL.

• Like 1

T-Mo

With the narrow frame of a Wheel Horse, having front hydraulic ports would be difficult.  But, on Deere's 4X5 series they have the front hydraulic ports underneath the left foot rest.  That might be a good place to mount your ports and then route the hoses to the front.

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Or? Saw this years ago. They make some pretty strong electric over hydraulic actuators now a days. Had a electric over hydro angle on a 72" plow on my Polaris Ranger. Man that thing could handle a lot of snow. 

image.jpg

Edited by Fun Engineer
  • Like 3

Duramax7man7

Yeah, but as stated that would be pretty slow moving....  

I would post a photo but the site is saying that I'm only allowed 10.24Kb (.01mb)??? Have I uploaded to many photos this month, year for my account?

pfrederi

I have an electric lift for my Sweepster mounted on my C175-8...It is strong but painfully slow to respond.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

I have an electric lift for my Sweepster mounted on my C175-8...It is strong but painfully slow to respond.

LOL- yeah I have patience and all but to sit and wait for a minute or two for the plow to change angles would be torture. May as well leave the manual handle on.

I like the idea of being able to change the plow angle on the fly while in the middle of plow pass too. A Strong enough hydraulic piston and a locking mechanism wouldn't be needed I believe.

CasualObserver

A member in the past (way, way back) made a fully flexible v-plow that he ran off his lawn ranger... aka the Load Ranger. He hasn't been around for a long time though. Don't know if any of his pics or videos would still be accessible. I'll give a look when I have time.

It would flex | straight, \ left, / right, < scoop, and > v-plow.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

So, I can't find any of the finished product, but I found these from the preliminary stages... and I misspoke, it went on an XI model, not the Lawn Ranger.

vplow013_zps8170f91b.JPG

vblade004_zps962df71a.JPG

vblade003_zps6167f337.JPG

vblade002_zps350576da.JPG

vblade001_zpsc7bc766d.JPG

But that was built by the same guy who built this super lawn ranger that he caled the Load Ranger.

loadtest002_zps9ef32088.JPG

rock012_zps5ea6dfd1.JPG

gravel002_zpsde7fd18c.JPG

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Niiice! Have  link to the thread or member name?

CasualObserver

@Nick and no, I have no idea what the thread was... or if it's even still here. Some were lost back in 2011 when we moved from the old forum that crashed.  Nick hasn't been around here for about two or three years, these are just some of his pics I had saved.

found some...

Here are two of the threads, but they were both after the fact and no real information.

Maybe he'll swing back in one day and put these pics/vids back in.

more....

this was by another member @smoreau.... forgot about this one... but it showed up during searches.

and the build thread.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
23 hours ago, Mastiffman said:

Yeah, but as stated that would be pretty slow moving....  

I would post a photo but the site is saying that I'm only allowed 10.24Kb (.01mb)??? Have I uploaded to many photos this month, year for my account?

@Mastiffman,Research those electronic actuators some move as fast as 2-4"/sec (not slow) with 300# moving force and 1000# static... Become a supporter for all the tips tricks info learned or be given its well worth the $ and pic posting,Jeff

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Well I guess that would be a different story then. Thanks for the info.

Gotcha. Thanks for the tips.

• Like 1

smoreau

This how I built mine and I use it all year. I have to say it still works great and is a huge time saver and very glad I built it. 

I still get offers for this tractor and still will notsell it.  Just too useful for my needs. Been thinking on making some moods this winter to this project if time permits. My issue is the blade sticks out so far in the front that it hits the ground on small hills digging up the grass. Needs to go higher, but I'm limited to the front axle height.  More to come. 

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Yes, I see the only way to fix that would be to cut the A-frame and make it hydraulically lift somehow but only after the front end. OR lift the entire frame of the tractor up a few inches above the axle either permanently or by hydraulics... Like a hydraulic height adjustment.

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, Mastiffman said:

Yes, I see the only way to fix that would be to cut the A-frame and make it hydraulically lift somehow but only after the front end. OR lift the entire frame of the tractor up a few inches above the axle either permanently or by hydraulics... Like a hydraulic height adjustment.

It would be more like the older CC style that pivots (up&down) where it latches in the front of the frame (our front attac-a-matic) then it braces mid frame instead of the rear axle, lifts 8-12" off the ground like a single stage thrower, then there's a a side rod from the rock shaft to the blade "A" frame for lifting and a hydraulic cylinder for angle or pinned if manual, Wheel Horse is my main brand but there are very good reasons to own others or to copy some of their attachments/styles,Jeff.

32178.jpg

LiftRodSetup.jpg

298702.jpg

cultivator005.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

Duramax7man7

Exactly. That's like the image I had in mind on my first thought about it, except I was using a typical plow setup and just making the necessary cut in the frame of it towards the front. But the Hydro I was thinking would still be holding up the plow frame from underneath. But this makes way more sense. Much more strength in the design. I really like that.

The Side rock from rock shaft I'm sure, could easily be replaced with another hydraulic cylinder for lifting. Just tap it in from the Main line to the original lift cylinder. Or Move the main lift cylinder al together is it has enough travel. All things that could be worked for sure.

• Like 1