dambur

I have a 204 4SB runs fine in reverse and lower gears when i put in in the highest gear it creeps forward then may at some point gain momentum?

pfrederi

Are you sure about your model #.  ???

• Like 1

dambur

42-08B401

208-4SB

Image result for WheelHorse 208-4SB

gwest_ca

Slips in high gear is the classic complaint when a clutch starts to slip. In your case it would be the drive belt. A slim chance would be a failed Woodruff key allowing the pulley to spin on the shaft.

Garry

Adding

Drive belt part number and size is on this page. Just noticed they used different transmission pulleys so the belts are different for each year. That is something you don't see often. Perhaps the wrong one is on it now and too long.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@dambur :WRS:

Check the belts in Garry's post.

A TORO belt is a little more expensive, but it will usually outlast the auto-parts store belts. 

• Like 1

dambur

DSCF0572.jpg

Is there any way this could be the idler pulley?  Thanks so much for the good suggestions!

GlenPettit

The Idler Pulley keeps tension on the belt so it does not slip, but the spring keeping the pulley in contact with the belt might have lost tension.

Increase that tension (remove 1-2 loops of the Spring to shorten/tighten it, add a second helper spring, or just replace it).

Probably ––  going up slight slopes it would slow even more, almost to a stop.

Your (1985) 208 is over 30 years old, that spring is under tension all the time when not in use, may be time to replace.

The belt could also be glazed, "smooth, hard"; which would cause it to slip, can be cleaned, as with the pulleys also.

Edited by GlenPettit

gwest_ca

That's possible. Get the belt tension off the pulley so you can spin it by hand and feel how smooth the bearings are. When these bearings fail they usually get tight first and then loose because of the stresses exerted on them. Don't end up with pinched fingers. Maybe get a 2nd person to hold the pedal down to loosen the belt.

Garry

• Like 1