clueless

wheel offset

clueless

What the back offset on the WH 12in rear wheel?

SPINJIM

The ones I've recently measured have been 2 1/2" to 3".    But the offset that your tractor will accept depends on the model.   Later models with the fuel tank under the seat won't allow a wider wheel rim with 3 1/2" offset.   I've tried to find axle extensions, but haven't had any luck yet.   Earlier models, with the fuel tank up front, will take more offset, but it's still trial & error to make sure you don't rub against the frame.   I have a nice set of 10.50 wide tires on rims with 4" offset that I was hoping to put on my 417, but no go.  I'll use them on a 604 rat-rod that I'm starting instead.  Good luck.

Jim

pfrederi

The limiting factor in most instances is the backset.  That is the distance from the rim to the bolt holes of the rim.  (Measured on the back side)  Under seat tank models and those with hydro will usually need a 1-1/2" backset if you want to use chains.

clueless

Thanks, just got home and measured my B-80, and the C-81, both have a backset  of 1-1/2". Have a set of wheels I bought a few years ago from a guy, their 10" wide, he cut and welded the centers for a simplicity large frame, they have a 1-3/4" back set, was going to put them on my sovereign, never did. Might put them on the B-80, don't think a 1/4" will make a difference. 

doc724
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

The limiting factor in most instances is the backset.  That is the distance from the rim to the bolt holes of the rim.  (Measured on the back side)  Under seat tank models and those with hydro will usually need a 1-1/2" backset if you want to use chains.

Paul seems to be correct.  My 1978 and 1981 have the 1-1/2" backset.  What I cannot understand is why WH changed that when the wheels went to silver color.  Those are 2-1/2 inches and you cannot use chains on models with hydros, 8 speed yes, but hydros-definitely not

classicdmax

I can also confirm a backspacing of 1-1/2" on my 73' 16h hydro. I recently purchased a set of wheels and they accidentally sent me a set with 2-1/2" bs.....not even close to working. 

Backspace is measured from the wheel mounting surface to the back edge of wheel

try www.xtrememotorworks.com if your looking for wheel spacers

roadapples

Plenty of wheel spacers on ebay.....

• Like 1