pacer

Adding power steering on the 'Big D's' (and possibly others?)

Sarge

Excellent post and I'm sure it will help others or at least get the gears rolling for ideas - I'm leaning towards doing something similar since I run heavy v-bar tires on the newly modified front axle/hubs/wheels I did for the D-180 . I'm leaning toward a different setup that does away with the Ross steering box . I had found an obscure post somewhere in which a guy removed a Ross off of his garden tractor and replaced it with an electric/hydraulic steering box . Very compact unit and looked like it will fit inside the D's frame rails and possibly work on the smaller long frames to get rid of the weak and wear-prone fan gear system . The only possible issue I see is a lack of alternator power when going this route with electric units - they can draw over 40 amps at 12v , would take a pretty hard toll on even a larger automotive battery and run the stator system at wide open capacity constantly . Even though they are a demand-only system and don't run constantly it may become a problem . I suppose some creative work could be done to fit a bigger alternator to the pto side of the engine but if you use all the pto options on these tractors there just isn't enough room for additional equipment . There are very tiny automotive alternators that can be easily adapted since they use internal regulators and still put out some pretty good current . Shaft sizes are faily easily adapted to whatever is needed for pulleys but the limited room to install one is the still the main road block to an upgrade .

Still can't find that post I had found through Google on the steering mod with the electric steering box . The Saturn setup is popular for a lot of 4X4's and other stuff already and the purpose built electronics adapter is a nice addition to boot .

I'm leaning towards the idea of using a small , low volume orbital steering valve like a lot of the rock crawlers are using on their crazy buggy builds . Those guys have been key to finding cheap alternatives to a standard steering box and adding hydraulic assist systems for a steering cylinder on the axle for more power and leverage when in the rocks and trying to turn the wheels with heavy offroad tires .For awhile many were using a very small JD orbital valve from the older 2-row combines and using that with a standard Saginaw pump worked quite well and I even got to drive one in a Samurai on the street once . One finger , even stopped on 38x14 soft mud tires -  no problem . I don't think the Sundstrand or Eaton pump systems would have enough volume to use that type of orbital valve but there are other small ones out there - it's just their price tag that makes it tough to try to build something with that cost involved . I'll keep working on it over the winter if time allows , maybe I can find something easily scavenged off another piece of equipment to keep the cost down . The Ross box is a weak link due to it's design but for the space it takes up it was a good idea at the time . I'd like something that could be made to work off the tractors existing hydraulic pump with a tee in the system's pressure side , a simple shaft and bearing that can bolt into the dash to fit the existing steering wheel and a small enough cylinder to make either the stock bell crank work or one that could be mounted to the frame below the engine . Want a clean solution that would not interfere with the tractor's accessories , pto's or lift system and make it even tougher to work on the tractor for repairs .

Tall order , but it shouldn't be impossible , pacer is off to a good start for sure .

Sarge

roadapples

Great thread Pacer and Sarge... You guys never cease to amaze...:handgestures-thumbupright:

R. L. Addison

My brother put a Rotary Cylinder (I think is what he called it) type on a "D" with a loader for his wife to use and hooked it into the Sundstrand unit with no negative effects. It was a replacement unit for the old I H tractors, the H's & M's that he bought at a farm supply store. Looks to me like this might be simpler & cheaper if still available.

GT14

Great idea and nice conversion.

bmsgaffer

Awesome!

Do the D series have an ammeter? Can you tell how much current it draws?