classicdmax

Reverse is lethargic!!

classicdmax

i have a 73 no name 16h hydro....reverse is very lethargic, slow to react and not much speed there at all. the tractor does creep sometimes, so i know i will need to adjust for that, will this adjustment have any bearing on reverse speed/power?

forward seems to be strong, and have even put the front of tractor up against my foundation and got wheel spin on asphalt without problem

fluids have been changed along with filter, and there is the appropriate amount ATF as i just checked the dip stick. i believe i put in 5qts

i havent taken the belt guard off, but there seems to be slop in the belt when running, not sure if this is normal?

and input?

thanks fellas

953 nut

Since the problem is only evident in reverse it could be linkage, but I suspect the Acceleration Valve Springs are bad or the valve itself has an internal blockage. @refracman has a source for the springs if you should need them. Take a look at the manual page 49 on, it shows the valves; the one at the front of the tractor is the reverse valve.

Sunstrand Hydro (part 4).pdf

classicdmax

Any suggestion on how to inspect said valve for proper function

thanks

pfrederi

You have to remove it. The manual covers it well.  The hole in the valve is,( as the manual says) very tiny.  The smallest torch tip cleaner I had was too big.  Has to borrow some fine wire from my wifes crafting supply to clean it.

classicdmax

Today i removed the instruction placard along with steel backing plate...operated tractor and reverse seemed much better. I believe the steel backing plate to be the culprit in limiting travel of hydro shift lever. I used a 1/2" dia metal rasp bit in my drill press as a diy mill and elongated the forward and reverse slots as well as widened the corners a bit. Seems much better in reverse now, at least a bit more speed