Drillbit

What a gem

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Drillbit said:

This is cast iron. I hope I can get a good weld on it. Cast is not very easy to weld.

Resized952017011495195101.jpg

What we do at work (industrial machinery) is to bevel (grind) the edges of both parts to be welded back together then clamp together (if feasible) heat area to be welded with torch to dull red then arc (stick) weld with high nickel rod(s) then peen the weld while hot then place in "lime" or sand to let cool slowly (hours) usually holds up as long as originally cast,Jeff.

• Like 2

JAinVA

Drillbit.The part you broke can be repaired by many methods.You can braze,Ni-rod  arc weld or tig weld but why bother.This part is not rare or hard to come by.Most salvers don't bother to try and sell them because they are everywhere.Post a want ad in the classified section and if you don't get a response I'll send you one for postage.Not trying to cut into anyone's sales and this offer is only good if he posts in the wanted section.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

Sarge

Someone local has to have a tig welder - have them use the EZ Weld tig rod on it . The stuff blends in so well you'll never find the weld and tig allows some extremely thin cast iron to be repaired easily . I swear by the stuff as well as the shop next door - he's been flooded with cast iron stuff this last year .

Sarge

• Like 2

JoeM

I think I got one of those pedals, I will make sure tomorrow and if you want to pay shipping it will be yours.

Let me know.

Joe

Elkskin's mower junkyard
On 1/14/2017 at 7:41 PM, Drillbit said:

Well, I'm on my way with the tear down. Everything was going good. I've been noting the parts that I want to replace as I go. I had to do some welding to the steering column frame as i noticed that it was not painted on some parts from the factory and had rusted bad and cracked at the base. All good until I got in a hurry while trying to get the set collar off that holds the brake pedal on. I decided to use a hammer on the pedal linkage tab to get the set collar off. Broke it off. Gosh ,darn, I said politely since no one was listening (lol). This is cast iron. I hope I can get a good weld on it. Cast is not very easy to weld.

Resized952017011495195101.jpg

Resized952017011495195030.jpg

i am tearing down a 75 b80 if i can get brake pedal off id sell it cheap. but not counting on it coming off easy. i may have one on a c121 frame too.

Marv
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:25 PM, Marv said:

Welcome Drillbit. Got right under my skin you did. This is my B80. It's life story is very similar to yours. Decided to restore it. Obviously I am slower than the 7 year itch. second picture is where it sits now. Maybe I will get it finished one day. Enjoy yours and I hope your restoration progresses faster than mine.

Marvin

B 80 Pre restore & Kitchen 032.JPG

DSC03353.JPG

I added a couple more parts.

Marvin

DSC03361.JPG

DSC03362.JPG