Drillbit

What a gem

Sparky

:WRS:

You can upsize to a 23x8.50x12 rear tire with no clearance issues.

Mike.....

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Drill bit,   :wh:        :text-welcomeconfetti:      :wh:   To red square. 

That machine has the PERFECT PATINA.   Stick around and keep us posted.

Glenn

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

roadapples

:text-yeahthat:         :WRS:

AMC RULES

Starting with a nice one.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Keep us posted of your progress. 

:WRS:

Edited by AMC RULES
Just deleting the double post here.

JoeM

Nice machine! Should make a great project, metal looks good etc.

I started out with a B100A back in the 80's. Ran and mowed great.

My daughter still used it to mow her place up until a couple years back.

Welcome and enjoy your new project.

• Like 1

857 horse

Wow.......with weights   that is a real Monster in snow....and snow is coming in Va,,,Just never know when...

.All the guys chatting with y0u  are all Wheel Horse Pro's....if that machine so much as has a hick-up,,,,,you are covered...

Welcome aboard,,,,,

Howard857 Horse in VA

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Drillbit       :WRS:    Nice story and survivor you have there. Looks to be a great worker. Lots of people will say keep the  patina the way it is and I am one of them. But it is your call. Enjoy the ride. 

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:              :WRS:           That is a Gem,  :text-thankyoublue:  for showing some love to the Family Jewels!     :ychain:

• Like 1

JC 1965

:text-yeahthat:     :WRS:

Wishin4a416

That is going to be a nice project. And a nice story. Always been in the Family. A plus.

• Like 1

TDF5G
On 12/11/2016 at 9:15 PM, Sparky said:

You can upsize to a 23x8.50x12 rear tire with no clearance issues.

Mike.....

:text-yeahthat:  That's what I did on my B-100.  

:WRS: You've got a great project there it looks like.  The seat looks nice also.  Have fun with your :wh:!

Drillbit

Thanks all for the very warm welcome. I know what some of you mean by keeping the PATINA look, but this one has lost almost all of the exterior paint. I can rub my fingers across the hood or fender and get nothing but rust film. There is a cover plate missing on the gear shifter that I thought may be hard to find, but my dad found it in his shed. Amazing how these things work out.

• Like 1

Marv

Welcome Drillbit. Got right under my skin you did. This is my B80. It's life story is very similar to yours. Decided to restore it. Obviously I am slower than the 7 year itch. second picture is where it sits now. Maybe I will get it finished one day. Enjoy yours and I hope your restoration progresses faster than mine.

Marvin

B 80 Pre restore & Kitchen 032.JPG

DSC03353.JPG

• Like 4

Drillbit

Marvin, that chassis looks great!

Well, I'm on my way to the tear down and I'm starting to accumulate more and more bolts and pieces of course. I'm a pretty good mechanic but as we all know when disassembling anything that we don't usually do all of the time, one tends to wonder if he's gonna remember if this goes behind that or in front of this, etc.... when it comes time to reassemble. I'm taking a few pictures as I go to help as far as cable, wire routing and linkages. I hope someone here knows these tractors like the back of their hand when it comes to "where does this go".

Resized952016122395201159.jpg

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat: Always have a part or two left over on any worthwhile project!

• Like 1

WHX??

Trust me Bit ther are guys here that know they're B's better than their wife!! Keep up the good work and  holler if you run If you run in to  road  blocks. We will be all rooting for you!. My best advice is take plenty of disassembly pics and bag and tag all parts. Works for me.

Personally I would have never messed with that patina but you do what you feel is right, it is YOUR legacy.

ClassicTractorProfessor
5 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-yeahthat: Always have a part or two left over on any worthwhile project!

I had a mechanic friend I used to work with said the same thing. He was taking a 60 Series Detroit out of one Freightliner and putting it in another one. He was about finished up and had a pile of parts that came off the donor truck laying beside his toolbox. Boss came out about that time and asked what all these leftover parts were Gary looked at him and replied "that just proves I'm better than the last guy that put it together, I made it run without those". Boss just rolled his eyes and went back in the office :laughing-rofl:

On 12/11/2016 at 9:04 PM, Drillbit said:

Hi all, I'm new here. See pictures of a 1977 B-100 Wheel Horse that I grew up with. My dad bought this brand new when we moved to a farm in 1975. It has been through 3 of us sons, mowed a hell of alot of grass and I even made a snow blade/pusher out of 2 pieces of 5" channel welded on top of each other that bolted to the back of the hitch of this fine machine along with a set of snow chains. Did a great job. The old Kohler engines are monster tough. This is is going to be my winter restore project. Still runs great. I have been bitten by the wheel horse bug. I am having a tough time finding the rear tires though. 22 x 7.50-12. Any alternatives?

Resized952016121195174720.jpg

Resized952016121195174739.jpg

:WRS: looks like you have a wonderful starting point for a great project there, and even better that it's been in your family all these years. A big part of this hobby for most is restoring and using our beloved tractors, but I'm sure I speak for not only myself but several others here when I say that a very enjoyable aspect of the hobby is also hearing stories like yours about tractors that have been in the family for years or just hearing the history behind a particular tractor. I know I really enjoyed hearing some of the history of my my 1277 when I got it. Any questions you have along the way don't hesitate to ask...lots of guys here to point you in the right direction along your way.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

Retired Wrencher

Drillbit  Just take your time. I have zip bags with labels  say what it is .But with larger bolts it is obvious. After a few it becomes easy but fun. My self done to many. Enjoy the project because the history behind it. And there is always help here. 

• Like 3

TDF5G

We'll get you back together.  I have a B-100 and others on the forum do also.  We can take pics of our tractors or what ever help you need! :)

• Like 1

Drillbit

Well, I'm on my way with the tear down. Everything was going good. I've been noting the parts that I want to replace as I go. I had to do some welding to the steering column frame as i noticed that it was not painted on some parts from the factory and had rusted bad and cracked at the base. All good until I got in a hurry while trying to get the set collar off that holds the brake pedal on. I decided to use a hammer on the pedal linkage tab to get the set collar off. Broke it off. Gosh ,darn, I said politely since no one was listening (lol). This is cast iron. I hope I can get a good weld on it. Cast is not very easy to weld.

Resized952017011495195101.jpg

Resized952017011495195030.jpg

• Like 2

Walt

When repairing cast iron in the stamping and forging press repair industry we would cut v's and fill with brazing rod. Not sure how well it would work on something that thin tho.

BOB ELLISON

You can post in the wanted column  for a replacement and someone has one.

Go down to  Classifieds / wanted section and post for a break pedal. 

• Like 1

HeyMrP

I recently got my first Wheel Horse. Wish it was and old family tractor like yours. If you're taking votes I say make yours all shiny again!