Deadguy

Who's out in the snow today?

muz123

Plowed but not enough for the blower. We only got 3 inches. IMG_1242.JPGIMG_1244.JPGIMG_1247.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

Edited by muz123
  • Like 5

WheelHorseNut

Yes!  We just received our first real snowfall this year!  We got about 8".  Going to get out there and clear some snow with the B80 and snow thrower.  I'll have pics in a bit!

• Like 2

rjg854

Was out for a few hours this morning knocking the drifts back, we didn't get all that much snow, but the wind howled last night.  It's all open to the south of me, and that's the way the wind blew of course.  But I had a lot of fun, that 12hp no name (Ezra) and thrower never missed a beat :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

Sarge
1 hour ago, Deadguy said:

Ok, just for you guys I decided to burn some of that data to show you the Lawn Ranger in action.  Enjoy!

IMG_0698.MOV

I had a suspicion that old blower I have was for a lawn ranger due to it's size and front attachment brackets which had to be modified to fit the long frame units I have , forget what model number it is but it's manual is around here somewhere ...

After seeing @Deadguy video - yup, that's the one....lol . I added wings to it , rebuilt it a couple years ago and re-geared the chain drive since I had to replace the sprockets and have beat it to death on a lot of gravel including hitting some ill-placed riprap thanks to IDOT crews on my daughter's last place . The thing did manage to toss several of those softball sized rocks , thankfully not hitting anything of real value although an old steel building got a couple of fist-sized dents from them . Glad it wasn't pointed at the house ...but it did tear the heck out of the blower housing box and I need to repair that whole thing now so I'm just using the D's big blade and the 16 Auto with a 42" for the smaller stuff . In a way I don't really miss using the blower due to the constant wind we have here (wind farms all around us) and getting a face full of the frozen stuff every time ....

Sarge

• Like 2

Razkid

First time out for the new toy! We didn't have much snow but I HAD to try out the blower. I haven't had the time to add the idler pulley and longer belt to the blower but it still worked fine.

DSCN1100[1].JPG

• Like 8

Deadguy
2 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Great job on the video, thanks for sharing. Amazing what that little tractor can do.

We got about 3 inches of snow from last night, it's been pouring rain. I am suprised everything is still snow covered here. Oh well.

Glenn

Thanks!  Unfortunately, the 50 year old auger chain broke shortly after I took this video.  Any recommendations on a good place to find that part?

Kurt-NEPA
5 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

Thanks!  Unfortunately, the 50 year old auger chain broke shortly after I took this video.  Any recommendations on a good place to find that part?

Nice video.  I love to see old iron working.  Sorry to hear about the chain.  I'm not sure about your blower, but the later ones used 1/2" #40 chain.  That is one of the most common chains.  If you have a TSC locally try there, they usually stock it.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, Deadguy said:

I don't know if that blower uses #40 roller chain, most guys make them, Someone will come on with your answer. Also, go to the wanted sections, make a post there to.

Glenn

entropy

Only got a couple of inches followed by freezing rain. Got the 518 with plow out and man I like the plow, just smashes through the slop with no issue. So much faster then my old walk behind snow blower(especially with the wet slushy mix I was pushing. I still have a WH snow thrower that I cleaned up but it is still missing a couple of parts. Now that I used the plow I am not sure if the snow thrower is needed. What do you guys prefer, plow or thrower?

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
29 minutes ago, entropy said:

What do you guys prefer, plow or thrower?

I guess it depends.  I've tried both and prefer my two stage blower.  A plow handles lighter snow well, but once it gets over a foot, the blower excels.  But my real problem with the plow was having no place to push the snow - at least after a couple of storms.  My two stage can blow snow well over 60ft to the side.  No build up problems.

I guess it depends on how much snow you get.

• Like 4

rjg854

I have to agree with Kurt the thrower works best for deeper snow falls and for keeping the snow thrown farther away. The plow is great for light snow falls and clean up duties. 

• Like 4

cleat

Also the plow may be better for very wet sloppy snow.

I have both plus the front end loader and use them all for different snow levels and types.

Also if the ground is very soft and not frozen yet and you have a gravel drive the plow will pile stone in clumps where the blower fires it everywhere.

• Like 3

squonk
On 12/16/2016 at 1:45 AM, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Good posts a plenty here, we had some good flurries today on and off, but the cold air and wind chill, to much. For caters say snow Friday night into Saturday, BUT THEN  sixty one degrees Sunday, and Saturday afternoon warms up to rain. Go figure.

I told you Glenn that cab would keep the snow away. It never fails for the first year of cab ownership! :)

• Like 3

pfrederi
3 hours ago, Deadguy said:

Checked my STR324  it is #40 chain.  Doesn't use as much as the bigger blowers as there is no top front idler sprocket.  i only used it one season.  She couldn't deal well with deep snow as you have to go slow to allow the 6hp to keep up...Lots of clutch slipping not good for the belt to keep ground speed down and auger speed up.

IMG_2489.JPG

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
55 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

I guess it depends.  I've tried both and prefer my two stage blower.  A plow handles lighter snow well, but once it gets over a foot, the blower excels.  But my real problem with the plow was having no place to push the snow - at least after a couple of storms.  My two stage can blow snow well over 60ft to the side.  No build up problems.

I guess it depends on how much snow you get.

Agree, it all depends what type and how much. I am itching to use the 2 stage and cab. But like Mike / squonk says, I put the cab curse on myself. Geez, I better run out and get my suntan lotion, don't want to be caught without it....:lol:

Glenn

• Like 3

WheelHorseNut

Well, I learned two things this time out in the snow... one, I need to get chains for my plow tractor and two, I have to make sure my B80 is more reliable -- electrically speaking...  couldn't get my plow tractor out of its spot in the backyard and my B80 thrower tractor was running great.  I was warming her up and I stalled her on accident.  She wouldn't turn over-- not even a click.  I'm thinking clutch switch.  Bypassed it and still nothing.  Tried to jump the solenoid and nothing.  Battery is good... guess I'll have to look at it tomorrow since it's going to be 55 degrees here... weird.  The worst was the ribbing I'm going to take... lol

- Jeff

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA
26 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

But like Mike / squonk says, I put the cab curse on myself. Geez,

Glenn

I got the double jinx last year Glenn.  New (to me) cab and two stage.  Refurbed both over the summer of 2015 and then the winter of 2015/16 yielded no snow.  No joy at all.  I feel for you buddy.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

I got the double jinx last year Glenn.  New (to me) cab and two stage.  Refurbed both over the summer of 2015 and then the winter of 2015/16 yielded no snow.  No joy at all.  I feel for you buddy.

Kurt, now I really put the snow jinx on me, dont laugh ,,,,,, to loud.  

Upgrade ,,  cab thermometer ,,  :laughing-rofl:

I saw Ed had one, so, I want one.

Glenn

20161217_175621.jpg

• Like 5

Kurt-NEPA
1 minute ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Upgrade ,,  cab thermometer ,,  :laughing-rofl:

Glenn

Now you've done it Glenn.

No snow until Winter 2017

• Like 2

classicdmax

My 7yo first time pushing snow, only got about 3-4" her in RI before it turned to rain. I still gotta get my weights and chains on but he did damn well for his first time outIMG_0218.JPG

Sorry don't know how to rotate 

• Like 8

T-Mo

IMG_0218.JPG.058964baa4f6e3349ba1af6c7ce5fb91.JPG

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

Classicdmax - Your son's doing a great job! -  brings back memories...My 18 year old was out all day today on the C-105, only now it's his "clients" - not Mom & Dad's driveway since we don't pay!!! (Took photo through screen, so it is a bit fuzzy).

IMG_0975.JPG

• Like 5

Lagersolut

Only ended up with about 2" of slush after the mixed bag moved through South Central PA - but it was enough to finally get me moving on my needed non ethanol gas run, chain up the 310 8 with the blade then scrape the D-way . First snow seat time of the year.

• Like 1

scifi4all

Had about 2 1/2" here in Central Eastern Pa.  Haven't used the plow C-120 for about 2 months.  Battery was half dead and had to be changed out.  Then it would barely move in High Gears.  Plowed in Low gears with me thinking something is wrong with the Transmission.  Come inside and search and find I might have a woodruff keyway hub issue, I hope.  Will not know until tomorrow.  Still got some seat time, just really slow seat time.

• Like 1

Upper Canada

I had both plow and snowblower machines out today. 3rd time out this year with the plow and the banks were getting high down my lane way so I figured I better trim them a bit with the snowblower!

• Like 1