Deadguy

Who's out in the snow today?

lodestonefarm

I'm a little late to the party, but I've had my WH out in it 3 of the last 5 days.  Admittedly the first day was really just playing around but Saturday, Sunday, and yesterday were to do real work.  This is my first year with a blower.   I love it.  It worked great on the powered stuff we got last week and then yesterday it did a fine job throwing much wetter stuff.  Looks like we're getting more as I type so I might have cause to get her out again tomorrow.  Seeing those cabs makes me very jealous.  I've got a 700' drive where the wind dependably blows from the house toward the road.  I can get 1/2 way down the drive in either direction, but the more exposed half (closer to the house) seems to give me a face full every time I try to blow snow as I approach the house.  I'm too stubborn to just drive back to the house with the blower off so I get one of those ice-cream headaches every time I crest the small hill approaching the house....

Here's a not great photo clearing out in front of the neighbor's mailbox.  

WP_20161210_09_53_55_Pro.jpg

• Like 6

Ed Kennell

Here's my heat houser design.   Just captures the rear cylinder heat which is quite a lot on the Onan.  Had to modify the canvas and add grommets to attach to the metal houser.

I keep the cab zipper open at the rear for good air flow. The cab stays 35-40 F warmer than outside temp and the windows do not fog.

IMG_4139.JPG

I use aluminum flashing to make patterns, then transfer it to 1/32 or 1/16 steel.

IMG_2983.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 5

Sarge

Nice idea , I'll keep that in mind if I ever go with a cab which is getting more likely all the time .

Sarge

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Regarding a cab, I am happy to have one finally. Been geeting a face full for to long, as my drive is 500 ft. and like lodestonefarm I like keeping the blower running, its part of the fun.

My problem is, its on my 5xi , NOT a 520. so, will I even have heat? maybe warmer from no wind and staying dry. But when I read things like how Ed directs the heat to his cab and such, I get thinking on the 520 again. Btw, nice job Ed.

But I am gratefull for finally having my dream setup, big 2 stage, cab, on my tank like 522xi. It will be a good year.

Just wanted to make comment is all.

Glenn

20161128_150120.jpg

• Like 8

WVHillbilly520H

@JERSEYHAWG / Glenn I believe John @shallowwatersailor can tell you about heat in the cab on a gas (air cooled) xi vs liquid cooled diesel or Kawasaki xi but even on my 520H it's not the fact that I have "heat" as much as being out of the elements, back in January during the 24" plus snow/wind I stayed warm except for my feet and the windows would fog up a bit but NO snow face, snow crotch, or icicles can't go wrong there,Jeff.

895.jpg

• Like 9

cleat

Even my diesel tractor with the factory cab with a conventional coolant heater only has some heat.

Enough to keep the windshield clear but not really the rest of the windows.

Diesel engine just does not get very hot, even when working it to blow snow.

But, keeping out of the elements is the main thing. I still wear a jacket in the cab but can take my mitts and hat off.

Once or twice I may need to get out and clear the back window if snow is blowing onto it (still beats getting that snow in the face).

Feb 20 (2).JPG

Cleat

Edited by cleat
Add picture
  • Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

Let me add a little video of January,...can't get them to rotate but you kinda get the idea why it's so much better with than without a cab blowing snow,Jeff.

20160123_085248_001.mp4

20160123_085345_001.mp4

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

A lot of very good gear pictures on this thread.   I enjoyed looking at them from inside as it is less than 10 degrees this am!  

Did my  snowremoval on Tuesday with the 1975  B-80 !

009.JPG

• Like 6

T-Mo
Just now, Lane Ranger said:

A lot of very good gear pictures on this thread.   I enjoyed looking at them from inside as it is less than 10 degrees this am!  

Did my  snowremoval on Tuesday with the 1975  B-80 !

009.JPG

I agree, it's best to view this thread from the warmth and comfort of being inside.  It's going to get cold here also, about 3 degrees Sunday night into Monday.  Right now, it's not too bad out, about 17 degrees as I type this.

• Like 3

ztnoo

Lane, you got be kidding me about the temp.  jawdrop.gif

It's a lot colder than that in Gas City this morning.

Conditions between GC and Greencastle can't be that different!!!

Here's the NOAA report for Gas City:

Fair
0°F (-18°C)

Humidity 74%
Wind Speed W 14 mph
Barometer 30.36 in
Dewpoint -6°F (-21°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Wind Chill -19°F (-28°C)
Last update 15 Dec 7:55 am EST

It's still only 1°F here at 9:24 am.

You better get yourself a new thermometer!!!

spin.gif

Looks like you have a lot more snow than we do.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Glad to see you won't be doing the FROSTY impression this year Glenn.   Of course Cleat is prepared for anything up North and Jeff knows the need for a cab.

No snow here yet, but 17F with 40MPH gusts right now.    Some models are showing 3-6" here tomorrow night.    Maybe some seat/cab time coming.  

Stay warm men.

• Like 3

Sarge

Got another storm coming in tomorrow night - I hope it warms up like they say it's suppose to , -3* right now and the winds howled all night with wind chill values down near -30*F . I used to laugh at the Snowbirds heading to Florida in early December , tempted to join them now that I'm older and loaded with arthritis . Should have grabbed that cab for the D awhile back but it was almost 6hrs away and possibly missing parts . From the pictures I've seen of them , not even sure I could get inside the door and into the seat with the size of it - my legs don't bend very far due to severe dual knee injuries even though I'm fairly skinny ....but would be worth a try instead of getting frostbite .

Sarge

• Like 5

Deadguy

This weekend looks to be interesting for my snow team.  The current forecast for me says 6"-14" of snow for the weekend and a low of -16 F for Sunday!

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Another tip for the cold weather even if your rig is in a climate controlled shed/garage, use a battery maintainer is really helps out on those sub freezing days and keeps it healthy longer, I'm a firm believer in them,Jeff.

IMAG2622.jpg

IMAG2643.jpg

IMAG2641.jpg

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Good posts a plenty here, we had some good flurries today on and off, but the cold air and wind chill, to much. For caters say snow Friday night into Saturday, BUT THEN  sixty one degrees Sunday, and Saturday afternoon warms up to rain. Go figure.

Sarge, I am with you on the run south thing.

Jeff, yes sir on the trickle chargers, good plans. I use them myself. And me and John / SHALLOWATER, we talk a bit. 

Cleat, always liked that rig.

Lane, didn't know you had a B 80 to.

Ed, let's work on heat for the xi rigs. 

Dead guy, ztnoo, stay warm fellas.

T MO, keep the coffee pot on.

Ok, there, I think I covered all the bases on this post..  lol

Glenn

• Like 5

ztnoo
4 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Dead guy, ztnoo, stay warm fellas.

Glenn, I have to admit you have me stumped on that one.   umm.gif   Give me a clue, SVP.   munch.gif

Just to prove I'm not dead yet (turned 68 about 3 weeks ago) and haven't been stuffed into a pine box and tossed into a hole in the ground, I'm going to stray slightly off course of the original thread topic.

It still could have relevance to being able to continue to be "out in the snow ".

On the charger front, a guy over at the Wheel Horse Junkies FB Page (  https://www.facebook.com/groups/263966625951/  ) posted this nifty new gadget.

Looks like it could be real handy for all sort of tractor/auto applications any time of year.

Reasonably priced for what it does. Selling generally for around $70. Pretty neat, IMO. Reviews I've read are all positive.

Generally available at the big box stores and major hardware retailers.

http://www.stanleytools.com/products/automotive-tools/other-tools/power-station/500-instant-1000-peak-amp-jump-starter-with-compressor/j5c09

defaultimage.jpg&showdefaultimage=true

• Like 1

ztnoo

oh....................I get it NOW.

It pays not to skim too quickly...................DUH!   emot-doh.gif

The rest of my post still stands about the Charger/Compressor.

• Like 1

Sarge

Yeah - this weekend and even later today/tonight looks interesting . I'm in the lower snow band but that first storm they really missed it badly - 10" of heavy wet snow here , predicted 3-5" ....lol .

Folks that are north or south of my location are really gonna get hammered , heavy snow to the north and mixed ice/rain to the south but we'll see what happens . I know the arthritis kicked in hard yesterday so something is definitely coming . Nothing like being a human barometer...lol .

Sarge

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
7 hours ago, ztnoo said:

Glenn, I have to admit you have me stumped on that one.   umm.gif   Give me a clue, SVP.   munch.gif

Just to prove I'm not dead yet (turned 68 about 3 weeks ago) and haven't been stuffed into a pine box and tossed into a hole in the ground, I'm going to stray slightly off course of the original thread topic.

It still could have relevance to being able to continue to be "out in the snow ".

On the charger front, a guy over at the Wheel Horse Junkies FB Page (  https://www.facebook.com/groups/263966625951/  ) posted this nifty new gadget.

Looks like it could be real handy for all sort of tractor/auto applications any time of year.

Reasonably priced for what it does. Selling generally for around $70. Pretty neat, IMO. Reviews I've read are all positive.

Generally available at the big box stores and major hardware retailers.

http://www.stanleytools.com/products/automotive-tools/other-tools/power-station/500-instant-1000-peak-amp-jump-starter-with-compressor/j5c09

defaultimage.jpg&showdefaultimage=true

Ztnoo, sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I was combining both you and dead guys reply from me into one.

Dead guy said it was cold by him.

You said it was cold by you.

So, I told both of you to stay warm. Lol  :lol:

Sorry for the confusion, and yes sir, keep them pine boxes far far away. I hope this explains what I did.

Glenn

• Like 1

ACman

@cleat you may already know this, but what is your engine temp at when your pushing it hard . If it's not running up to your normal operating summer temp try blocking your grill to allow your temp to come up , especially on very cold windy days . Just keep a eye on that temp gauge . We do this on our 130HP Awith 8' plow on the farm .

• Like 2

cleat

I have thought about that.

Tractor has a screen in front of the rad that lifts out.

I could make up a plate of some sort and slide it into the screen tracks.

Even in the summer when bush hogging or wood chipping the engine never goes over 60 C (140 F).

In winter the gauge never moves off the bottom unless blowing heavy snow for some time.

Thermostat was replaced and tested in hot water. Everything seems fine, this engine just cools too well I guess.

Cleat

• Like 1

pfrederi
14 minutes ago, cleat said:

I have thought about that.

Tractor has a screen in front of the rad that lifts out.

I could make up a plate of some sort and slide it into the screen tracks.

Even in the summer when bush hogging or wood chipping the engine never goes over 60 C (140 F).

In winter the gauge never moves off the bottom unless blowing heavy snow for some time.

Thermostat was replaced and tested in hot water. Everything seems fine, this engine just cools too well I guess.

Cleat

Doesn't have to be fancy.  On my DC3 I slide a piece of cardboard in behind the grill up against the radiator.. Farmall M gets a feed sack wrapped around the grill held by 2bungie cords

• Like 1

Walt
6 hours ago, Sarge said:

Nothing like being a human barometer

Had my first knee surgery in the fall of 1976 took me a few years to pin point that at 29.85 when the pressure was rising was when I would start feeling discomfort. 

Deadguy

Ok, just for you guys I decided to burn some of that data to show you the Lawn Ranger in action.  Enjoy!

IMG_0698.MOV

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
13 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

Ok, just for you guys I decided to burn some of that data to show you the Lawn Ranger in action.  Enjoy!

IMG_0698.MOV

Great job on the video, thanks for sharing. Amazing what that little tractor can do.

We got about 3 inches of snow from last night, it's been pouring rain. I am suprised everything is still snow covered here. Oh well.

Glenn