boesabot

help finding manual for 42in sd mower

boesabot

I'm having a tough time locating the right manual maybe I am over looking it I have downloaded multiple manuals and I can not find the right one yet. It is on my 72 raider 14 but there is no markings what so ever on the deck here is a photo maybe some could help me out thanks

IMG_0412[1].JPG

gwest_ca

This is the deck sold in 1971-1972 for your tractor.

Have added a couple of DNA lines showning all the deck models and they are in order by age.

It will be hard to identify using the TIPL because those parts lists are shared with the 48" decks and most illustrations if not all are for the 48" decks which are quite different. The height selector is on the left side for 48" and there is a heavy reinforcement plate on the decks that the 42" don't have. The location and number of rollers is different also.

It is possible your deck is much newer than 1972.

Do you know the size and shape of the mounting hole in the mower blade?

Garry

boesabot

It is possible the year is different from the tractor I do not have a whole lot of history of it. The blade size I am uncertain at the moment I will check when I get off work it has just a single through hole I'm thinking maybe 3/4" or 5/8"

boesabot

So the blade mounting hole is 3/4".

20161211_182140.jpg

gwest_ca

The first deck to get the 3/4" round hole in the blade was the 1977 model 75-42MS02 so any following that in the list are a possibility.

Keep in mind that when this happened the replacement spindle assemblies for the older decks also went to the 3/4" hole so some older decks could have them if the assemblies were replaced.

The 106077 stamped in the blade was the original part number. Toro has replaced it with a 3-blade set number 106636.

Garry

• Like 1

boesabot

Thank you Garry. This information will help me narrow in on my search. 

gwest_ca

This is one of the parts lists that are confusing.

It lists the majority of the parts that are common to the 42" and 48" decks. Looking at the first page of parts see the 48" at the beginning. When you get to the end of the list you see some of the item numbers repeated and those items are for the 42" deck.

Not the best but all we have for this one.

Garry

• Like 1

tunahead72

Has this deck actually been mounted on your tractor?  Like Garry mentioned, your deck looks newer than what would have been available for a '72 Raider.  Your mower is set up for a Tach-a-Matic hitch, I don't know if the Raider was set up that way.

It also looks to me like your outer pulley covers aren't original, and might be homemade replacements.  I believe the originals would have angled forward toward the front/center pulley; you can see shadow lines on the main shell of the deck.  That's probably not a big deal as long as the belts aren't rubbing on the covers.

gwest_ca

Another way to ID if the spindle assemblies are original to the deck but likely no way of knowing.

When you click on a line in the index it will take you to a single page that shows all the spindle assemblies used for that model. The first on each page is what it came from the factory with.

Garry

boesabot

Yes this deck was mounted and works great with the exception of needing new blades, spindles and some metal work with rust areas. When I got it the tractor the deck was set up with the mule drive and I thought it was original, the pulley covers are homemade and do the job they do not look the best. The guy I got the unit from claimed his father acquired it in the early 80's and he passed in the late 80's said it had been in the barn ever since I found it in 2012. I had little effort getting it to run and have used it regularly since, thinking now is as good as ever to start to replace worn items and try to get it back mechanically sound and look a little better.

The spindles look as if they were replaced at some point and time as they do not match the manual, the 77' manual looks to be as if it is spot on. I need to start locating some of these items for replace thanks for all the help guys :handgestures-thumbupright:

I will attach a pic of the bottom side, the middle blade was welded on to the spindle shaft and nut. The housings are in really bad shape, but spin as good ever.

IMG_0407[1].JPG

boesabot

20161212_171629.jpgI believe the tach-a-matic hitch would attach here correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure there has never been any bolts put in through the bracket.

20161212_170932.jpg