Jump to content
Professor1990

Winch for trailer

Recommended Posts

Been in the process of moving the last couple weeks, several of our tractors are not currently running, so moving them is a bit of a chore. Was winching the JD 212 up on the trailer yesterday with my old hand operated come-a-long and that's when it hit me...a small 12v winch on the front of my trailer would make life A LOT easier. Anyone have any experience with the small winches at HF, don't want to spend a fortune on something that is not going to get used everyday, but want something that will do the job when I call upon it to do it. Kinda looking at this particular model, but any recommendations are appreciated 

image.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While going through T-MO's 520H thread I noticed on @WVHillbilly520H trailer he had a manual crank winch mounted on the front . Perfect for or small tractors . No motors or wires to deal with and probably pretty cheap at HF  :twocents-02cents: .

 

IMG_1491.JPG

 

No if we're talking, let's say a car trailer I'd say 12V winch for your bigger hauls would work great . 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a hand winch with a strap not a cable. Works quite well.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, squonk said:

I have a hand winch with a strap not a cable. Works quite well.

Me too, works well.

If used every day then an electric winch would make more sense. :twocents-02cents:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also use a strap winch mounted on the trailer tong, works great.

big show saturday 011.JPG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Professor , I had my time messing with come-alongs and chains pulling up cars, big tractors, heck even furnaces  . I know where you're coming from it's a pain in the butt . A electric winch would be real nice on any trailer but a hand crank winch sure beats a come-along any day :twocents-02cents: .

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ACman said:

While going through T-MO's 520H thread I noticed on @WVHillbilly520H trailer he had a manual crank winch mounted on the front . Perfect for or small tractors . No motors or wires to deal with and probably pretty cheap at HF  :twocents-02cents: .

 

IMG_1491.JPG

 

No if we're talking, let's say a car trailer I'd say 12V winch for your bigger hauls would work great . 

 

I have the exact same set up. $10 at HF. Works like a charm and as ACman says - no wires no fuss...

 

:twocents-02cents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may try the hand winch idea first...bought one a while back for like 30 bucks at our local farm supply store for our bale buggy...if nothing else it would be handier than having to block the tires to restreach the cable 3-4 times before getting the tractor loaded

Edited by Professor1990
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HF Badlands winches 3500lb seem to hold up to the abuse Ive seen and put them through in the lake bottoms on four wheelers biggest issues being the cable. The cable will hold up for a long while but definitely worth changing to a synthetic rope there strength is impressive and alot easier on the hands as far as convenience goes they are well worth it my opinion.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a 1500lb boat winch with a 25ft strap.  Works great.    When it is not in use for loading, I use it to secure the dolly wheel both in the upright and folded positions.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, T-Mo said:

I had a hand winch on a 6 x 12 tilt trailer years ago.  Worked great.  For my current trailer, I might try this:  http://www.harborfreight.com/900-lb-capacity-hand-winch-62471.html

I like the looks of that model...20' of strap would be more than long enough to do what I need to do without having to stop and re-extend it, which is the main problem I'm having now. I also like that ratcheting handle...may be able to mount that under my toolbox and still be able to operate it. Can't mount one on the tongue as some have...wasn't thinking ahead when I built my trailer and put an upright angle brace right in the center of the front, but this may work out great mounted under my box. This is the trailer it will be mounted on

image.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently saw a picture on another thread where a winch was mounted on the front corner with an idler pulley at the center of the trailer.

Maybe something similar would work for you Bryce.  :confusion-shrug:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I recently saw a picture on another thread where a winch was mounted on the front corner with an idler pulley at the center of the trailer.

Maybe something similar would work for you Bryce.  :confusion-shrug:

That's a good idea Ed I never would have thought of that

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

I like the looks of that model...20' of strap would be more than long enough to do what I need to do without having to stop and re-extend it, which is the main problem I'm having now. I also like that ratcheting handle...may be able to mount that under my toolbox and still be able to operate it. Can't mount one on the tongue as some have...wasn't thinking ahead when I built my trailer and put an upright angle brace right in the center of the front, but this may work out great mounted under my box. This is the trailer it will be mounted on

image.jpeg

If you look at my trailer pic again there's a center upright also, I just run the cable on 1 side or the other, been thinking of fabbing the fairlead rollers (from the HF Badlands 2500# winch "$55 on sale with coupon" I used on my Kioti for snow blade lift) to that upright to help the cable from rubbing, but one real nice thing about the 2500# ATV winch is the "wireless remote control" keep it on you key chain and and no worry of broken wiring there,Jeff.

IMAG2611.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I recently saw a picture on another thread where a winch was mounted on the front corner with an idler pulley at the center of the trailer.

Maybe something similar would work for you Bryce.  :confusion-shrug:

That's what I did with my old trailer.  Mounted the winch on the driver's side top rail and then mounted a pulley block in the center to redirect the cable straight back.  Worked great.  You can pick those type of blocks at any hardware store, Rural King, TSC, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the trailer is going to sit out in the weather I'd pick a steel cable model winch - those straps will rot over time from uv exposure and break , buddy ran himself over with a 445 Deere that had a dead Kawasaki that I fixed later . He ended up with a small atv winch and a L&G battery charged off the truck's 7-wire center supply - works great and he's even had to use a ****** block a few times for heavier loads . Got lucky and scored a nice Warn atv 3500lb unit for $50 - I hated him for that . Need to do something similar on mine soon , I hate that junk come along I have .

Sarge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Sarge said:

If the trailer is going to sit out in the weather I'd pick a steel cable model winch - those straps will rot over time from uv exposure and break , buddy ran himself over with a 445 Deere that had a dead Kawasaki that I fixed later . He ended up with a small atv winch and a L&G battery charged off the truck's 7-wire center supply - works great and he's even had to use a ****** block a few times for heavier loads . Got lucky and scored a nice Warn atv 3500lb unit for $50 - I hated him for that . Need to do something similar on mine soon , I hate that junk come along I have .

Sarge

Good point about the strap type winches in the sun...I hadn't thought of that but glad you pointed it out because yes this trailer is parked outside year round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a 12v winch at times. I just have it mounted to a chain that I can secure to the front of the trailer or in the bed of my truck so it's portable. I use a 12v power pack to run it. Charge it in the garage. Kinda crude but does what I need it to do.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sarge said:

If the trailer is going to sit out in the weather I'd pick a steel cable model winch - those straps will rot over time from uv exposure and break , buddy ran himself over with a 445 Deere that had a dead Kawasaki that I fixed later . He ended up with a small atv winch and a L&G battery charged off the truck's 7-wire center supply - works great and he's even had to use a ****** block a few times for heavier loads . Got lucky and scored a nice Warn atv 3500lb unit for $50 - I hated him for that . Need to do something similar on mine soon , I hate that junk come along I have .

Sarge

 

I keep my boat out all year with a strap winch. It's 20+ years and still going - Secret? - Cheap plastic kids bucket upside down over the top of the whole winch - keeps it dry and in the shade...

 

:twocents-02cents:

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sarge said:

If the trailer is going to sit out in the weather I'd pick a steel cable model winch - those straps will rot over time from uv exposure and break , buddy ran himself over with a 445 Deere that had a dead Kawasaki that I fixed later . He ended up with a small atv winch and a L&G battery charged off the truck's 7-wire center supply - works great and he's even had to use a ****** block a few times for heavier loads . Got lucky and scored a nice Warn atv 3500lb unit for $50 - I hated him for that . Need to do something similar on mine soon , I hate that junk come along I have .

Sarge

That is why I like the HF model I linked to.  It doesn't have to be bolted down and can be removed and store away.  It just hooks onto your trailer rail when you need it, and then just take it off when you don't.  http://www.harborfreight.com/900-lb-capacity-hand-winch-62471.html

 

Now if your tractor was something like a JD 430 or 400, then the load capacity wouldn't be enough, but for most garden tractors, it will be okay.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you linked that , I usually avoid HF as I hate the Chinese steel used in their junk - seen too many failures like a friends full dressed Harley tipping off their motorcycle lift - $2800 in damage to the bike and destroyed the jack . His total weight was well under it's rated weight capacity - it was 3 welds that broke and were only surface penetrated .

I see they have a worm drive hand winch with steel cable cheap enough - I might pick one up since we got a new store nearby .

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-geared-winch-5798.html

 

Wish I could find a good quality cable winch with 2 speed drum - those aren't cheap and I missed one recently on CL still new in the box...arrgghhh.

This model Dutton Lansing - https://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=14700

Best bang for the buck , their stuff doesn't ever fail either . I use one similar in single speed to hoist the table up and down on my 30 ton press , table alone weighs 250lbs and with the metal brake I'm building for it should hit around 450lbs total with the heavy 1-1/4" press plates made from forged steel plate I got out of the scrap yard . We couldn't figure out at first why that cut up sheet was so heavy until I ran some weld tests and drilled into it - forged heavy thickness plate is almost impossible to find as it comes from very large stamping forge plants - but you'll never bend the stuff either , lol . 4' x 2.5' wide almost destroyed the rear springs in my Toyota ...and a pair of my steel saw horses .

 

Glad this thread came up , I never can remember to get a stupid winch installed on my trailer until it's too late and end up using that hateful come along .

 

Sarge

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I'm glad you linked that , I usually avoid HF as I hate the Chinese steel used in their junk - seen too many failures like a friends full dressed Harley tipping off their motorcycle lift - $2800 in damage to the bike and destroyed the jack . His total weight was well under it's rated weight capacity - it was 3 welds that broke and were only surface penetrated .

I see they have a worm drive hand winch with steel cable cheap enough - I might pick one up since we got a new store nearby .

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-geared-winch-5798.html

 

Wish I could find a good quality cable winch with 2 speed drum - those aren't cheap and I missed one recently on CL still new in the box...arrgghhh.

This model Dutton Lansing - https://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=14700

Best bang for the buck , their stuff doesn't ever fail either . I use one similar in single speed to hoist the table up and down on my 30 ton press , table alone weighs 250lbs and with the metal brake I'm building for it should hit around 450lbs total with the heavy 1-1/4" press plates made from forged steel plate I got out of the scrap yard . We couldn't figure out at first why that cut up sheet was so heavy until I ran some weld tests and drilled into it - forged heavy thickness plate is almost impossible to find as it comes from very large stamping forge plants - but you'll never bend the stuff either , lol . 4' x 2.5' wide almost destroyed the rear springs in my Toyota ...and a pair of my steel saw horses .

 

Glad this thread came up , I never can remember to get a stupid winch installed on my trailer until it's too late and end up using that hateful come along .

 

Sarge

 

I saw that top handle winch on HF's website, but it doesn't have a lot of glowing reviews, though some of the reviews aren't a good indication one way or another of a product's quality.  If you do get that one, please write a review on it here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at that same winch myself. I'm always one to read the reviews before making a purchase...the reviews I read through we're not good enough to convince me of the product

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×