Razkid

Oil Filter Info discussed in My "New" 520-H

Toro Bill

Appears to be a nonbiased look at a bunch of different filters, in the end it boils do to "you get what you pay for". I've been running wix/napa filters for years and looks like I should/will continue to do so. 

Good stuff :thanks:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
2 hours ago, Toro Bill said:

Appears to be a nonbiased look at a bunch of different filters, in the end it boils do to "you get what you pay for". I've been running wix/napa filters for years and looks like I should/will continue to do so. 

Good stuff :thanks:

My preference is the factory ones. A bit more money, but that's my choice.

Glenn

• Like 2

oldlineman

After 65 plus years on this earth I find that you only get what you pay for, so go with the best you can afford and do your maintance on time , the quality of the tractor and engine will do the rest. Bob  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:Nothing beats regular maintenance.

I did my own study years ago by cutting various filters open. I'd cheap so I used them first before opening them figuring one round with an inferior filter wasn't going to do any harm. Although there are several just as good being  Ford guy I stick to Motorcraft and my results definitely concurred with their findings on Fram filters. :)

JoeM

A few years back I worked for a large mining company and they wanted to put together a sourcing agreement for filtration. A "filtration team" was assembled and I got a short straw and was on the team. It ended up being a lot of work, taking close to a year to figure out the what and who's. Filter manufactures, field service personal, accounting, warehousing, and of course purchasing we all involved.

One thing that was noted; most filter manufactures do not make their own media, I believe there was only 3 media manufactures in the world. Of course, they all tell you the media is manufactured to their spec. Sometimes I felt like I was dealing with "snake oil salesman".

The most important thing is the filter must confirm to the equipment spec. You would not want to use a filter that is designed for non sensitive hydraulics and use it on a system that has close tolerances, pilot systems or servos. It quickly became an issue of matching application with quality, rater than quantity. 

The equipment manufactures do a lot of work and have the best history when it come to filter selection.

What was learned, I use OEM filters when available. Chances are they are the best fit for the application.

One other item, that is not part of the filter, was looking closer at the equipment and eliminating external contamination best as possible. (I guess we can call that pre-filtering).