Bubba KC jr

wheel horse GT 14 automatic

953 nut
7 hours ago, Bubba KC jr said:

I am going to work on it next spring.leave it alone until then

Here is a little reading assignment for you to complete by spring! Part 4 is the most relevant to your situation, but all good reading.

Sunstrand Hydro (part 1).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 2).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 3).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 4).pdf

Bubba KC jr

In regards to the tag: I have yet to find it 1.its not on rear end.                                   2.its not on the under dash area.              I can only so far find engine serial number.But I am not giving up by all means.I have an extra pump may change it out next spring and check linkage.but I appreciate all of your help.

953 nut
27 minutes ago, Bubba KC jr said:

I have an extra pump may change it out

If your lift is working well the pump is fine; read over the manual, especially page 48 in section 4.

Bubba KC jr

Surge & ztnoo I found tag and tow valve its tight I changed fluid and filter it will go in forward ok.for a little while but it will not go good enough to pull a blade and it will not back up.I pulled the pump section off but can't figure out how to sepperate the pump from gear section unless its all the pump.I will try to down load pics if it will let me.thanks.it says its too big.how can I download pics.

Sarge

If you are a site supporter it will allow bigger and more picture files . There is a link at the top of the forum on the main page .

Sarge

• Like 1

Bubba KC jr

Ok. Thanks sarge 

Bubba KC jr

Ok. Thanks sarge it is a 1973 but it has the flat head screw type tow valve and its tight.but it will barely pull for a bit then you have to get off the machine and walk beside it.I have another GET 14 with the same pump motor but the actual pump is different.I am thinking about changing it out and see what happens.Do you think that will help.thanks

Sarge

Might want to post up some pics , it makes it easier for folks to help you out . Not sure if the pump will interchange as there are at least 2 variations - just make certain to keep dirt out of the system as it doesn't take much to destroy the pump .

Sarge

ohiofarmer

MODEL # s Early and late

So as far as model numbers of the Sunstrand the early model without the directional valve on top  [on my 1065 I just got]  is Model # 90-2019 serial 9347

I also have a later machine with the tow valve on top.

I am not 100% sure that I have found the tow valve on the front simply because the slotted screw is not there and what is there is an Allen head. It looks factory, but after 50 years who really knows?.On the later model there is a solid plug up front, so I am encouraged that the allen head may be the tow valve adjustment There is no oil on the dip stick of the 1075 and i really need to get out the engine gun and clean it up, remove the filter and then see what is going on.

The later model Electro 12  trans works well, but needs the same maintenance as it could have very old fluid and filter. I could easily understand that the control linkage could be worn enough [ on Bubba's machine] so the reverse is barely able to work. 50 years of operation and dirt could cause that

Here is the bottom line. i am gonna finally bite the bullet and buy a support membership so I can post some pics. BTW the model # tag is located in front of the tool box and on the rear of the transmission. More later.

Sorry I could not get the model number to my other Sunstrand, but that tool box is pretty stubborn in coming off.

OK, so now I am a supporter and feel pretty good about it!

Edited by ohiofarmer

Bubba KC jr

Well ohiofarmer.mine has the flat head screw and it's tight.

Backed it out would not move at all,put new fluid,filter and drove it forward 100' then would not pull forward after that now no forward or reverse.

Going to try and change pump later and see what that does.

But thanks for your help

Wheelhorsegt14

Wow what a awesome group of people this is my first post and am having the same problem with mine. I have to say it is great to see people really go out of their way to help someone with pictures and every thing. Thanks guys know I have a great place to start. 

• Like 1

Bubba KC jr

Ok. Thanks sarge it is a 1973 but it has the flat head screw type tow valve and its tight.but it will barely pull for a bit then you have to get off the machine and walk beside it.I have another GET 14 with the same pump motor but the actual pump is different.I am thinking about changing it out and see what happens.Do you think that will help.thanks

I gave up and sold the whole shooting match everything associated with my tractor.

No longer own it.

But good luck to all you guys.

And thanks for all your help.

Wheelhorsegt14
On 12/9/2016 at 2:39 PM, ztnoo said:

You shouldn't have to remove the fender. Possibly the seat, and the maybe apparatus that locks the seat in a fore/aft position to get to the tow valve, but you shouldn't need to remove the fender.

I have never had to do that.

The valve may be really stuck in whatever position it is now in, so it may take some real elbow grease and penetrant to free it up. It may have never been turned since it left the factory. If its a '69, 1-1441 model, that means almost 48 years at this point. That's a long time for any valve not to have been turned, one way or another.

Screwing the valve to the open position (tow) should let you push the tractor around, although at almost 900 lbs. "wet" with fuel, oil, and tranny fluid, it's still work. We're essential talking about roughly half a turn.

Screwing the valve to the closed position (drive) will allow the tranny to operate normally and it will be almost impossible to roll the tractor due to hydraulic resistance and pressure in the system.

So if I can push mine then the valve is in the wrong position? It takes some effort but I can push mine around. 

Wheelhorsegt14
On 12/10/2016 at 3:06 PM, Bubba KC jr said:

My tractor has the battery under the hood and under the seat is just transmission and a bunch if hydraulic lines if I reach up under fender on left side I can feel what seems to be a part of transmitted that sticks out like a finger with what seems to feel like a flat headed screw with a straight screwdriver slot in it.I do know you can push it now its not easy but it can be pushed in what ever position the valve is in currently.after it warms up outside I will go out and use all this great information all of you have given me and also find the serial # and mod.# tag and get back with you all thank you all.

20161210_145407.jpg

20161210_145428.jpg

20161210_145312.jpg

20161210_145353.jpg

20161210_145343.jpg

I uploaded pics.don't know if you can tell anything from them but I can't find serial # and mod # tag but its to cold.I will have to wait until it warms up.I don't have a garage to put it in.thanks.20161210_145458.jpg

This is awesome I bought this machine 3 or 4 weeks ago and it still has the same problem lol 

This is so cool i have to say I bought this gt14 a few weeks ago. It still has the same problem go figure I would find a blog about it. Lol

Wheelhorsegt14
On 12/10/2016 at 3:06 PM, Bubba KC jr said:

My tractor has the battery under the hood and under the seat is just transmission and a bunch if hydraulic lines if I reach up under fender on left side I can feel what seems to be a part of transmitted that sticks out like a finger with what seems to feel like a flat headed screw with a straight screwdriver slot in it.I do know you can push it now its not easy but it can be pushed in what ever position the valve is in currently.after it warms up outside I will go out and use all this great information all of you have given me and also find the serial # and mod.# tag and get back with you all thank you all.

20161210_145407.jpg

20161210_145428.jpg

20161210_145312.jpg

20161210_145353.jpg

20161210_145343.jpg

I uploaded pics.don't know if you can tell anything from them but I can't find serial # and mod # tag but its to cold.I will have to wait until it warms up.I don't have a garage to put it in.thanks.20161210_145458.jpg

This is awesome I bought this machine 3 or 4 weeks ago and it still has the same problem lol 

I found the tage for this tractor 

Model 10592 8

Serial 907273

Does this help? It still has the same problem. 

Wheelhorsegt14

Is their a difference in the sunstrand and a hydrogear?  

On 12/12/2016 at 5:44 PM, Bubba KC jr said:

In regards to the tag: I have yet to find it 1.its not on rear end.                                   2.its not on the under dash area.              I can only so far find engine serial number.But I am not giving up by all means.I have an extra pump may change it out next spring and check linkage.but I appreciate all of your help.

It was on the right hand side under the dash sir. 

Wheelhorsegt14
On 12/9/2016 at 6:39 AM, Bubba KC jr said:

Thanks for your comment but I put a new belt on it and pensioner and spring are good.I am going to change filter and fluid to see if that will fix it. 

the replacement belt was 5/8 by 84.7 

daveoman1966

The GT-14 Hydro-gear power unit is made by Sundstrand.  Here is the tag.  Here is also why your tractor has no power...the brass piston slippers are probably scored and need refinished.  There are PROBABLY other issues as well and  it'd be a good idea to pull hydro pump from the Hydro-gear to have a look-see.  If your piston slippers are scored like this, MAYBE to just refinish them would solve your problems.  If not, then there are other issues at hand.

I have rebuild a few of these over the years and can provide pics internals and the issues you  may encounter.

90-2062 (76).jpg

90-2062 (193).jpg

90-2062 (210).JPG

• Like 1

JimSraj

I’m gonna jump into this old thread Bri recent got a 1-7441 GT14 and I’m changing fluids, filters, etc. so I know when it was last done. Unless I’m missing something it looks like the tow valve on mine is on the rear of the transmission case. Anyone run into this?

19richie66
1 hour ago, JimSraj said:

I’m gonna jump into this old thread Bri recent got a 1-7441 GT14 and I’m changing fluids, filters, etc. so I know when it was last done. Unless I’m missing something it looks like the tow valve on mine is on the rear of the transmission case. Anyone run into this?

I’m sure somone more familiar with these transmissions will chime in but you’re better off starting a new thread in the transmission section. The tow valves I’m familiar with were on the top left hand side under the seat plate. 

pfrederi

30 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I’m sure somone more familiar with these transmissions will chime in but you’re better off starting a new thread in the transmission section. The tow valves I’m familiar with were on the top left hand side under the seat plate. 

Nicely hidden there I might add I had to drill a hole in the sheet metal to get better access.

• Like 1

JimSraj

I’ll try to get a picture of it ASAP. 

• Like 1

pfrederi
10 hours ago, JimSraj said:

I’ll try to get a picture of it ASAP. 

If it is on the back it is not the original hydro unit.  Someone swapped in an early Wheelamatic hydro from something like a 1075

JimSraj

That’s a good possibility. I found the tag on the unit and it’s a 90-1173. Original was 20-2062 if my info is accurate. Changed the fluid today and found it was oil not trans fluid so replaced with 10-30. New Stens filter as well. Guessing whoever swapped out the unit converted to oil for whatever reason. 

I’ve attached a couple photos of the unit. View from the rear and the from the top. I added the bolt bc I wanted to see if I could move the valve. Probably going change it to a roll pin so it stays put. 

Thanks again!

BTW, I see you are in NE PA, I’m just outside of Klecknersville in Northampton County.

F2F28B82-F01E-4BCC-941B-D97678E161DB.jpeg

5E97AA88-3CAB-4CA8-B74F-D71017EAF620.jpeg

pfrederi

That is not the tow valve that is the opposite side of the motion control.  1173 wwere use on  D series hydros and some C series hydros.  The motion control shaft was out both sides as the C series mounted differently than the D series.  This pump could be used in either one.  It also would be piston to piston unit and I wonder if the hydro motor was changed out (if it was they had to change the drive gear.  What does you hydro motor look like...  #1 hydro gear (what came on GT-14) #2 Piston to piston....

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

• Like 1