boesabot

the start of my 42" deck for my 72 raider 14

boesabot

I've decided that I am going to do a restore for my 42" deck has some bad metal so i have cut it out and plan on fabricating new gonna be slow process but its a start. Tough to find time between work and family I plan on leaving my tractor like it is with the exception of some mechanical and electrical replacements wiring ignition system and worn bearings fuel lines ect. I will continue to up date as I make progress please feel free to leave feedback and ideas 

20161207_180719.jpg

20161207_182357.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Looks like you're off to a good start. 

:WRS:

Wishin4a416

It will be nice when you are done I bet. I have 4 I have to do some day.

Ed Kennell

One thing I do when rebuilding decks is to add 1/16" thick bolting plates to the inside of the decks under all the bolts to spread out the load and prevent stress cracks.

You can usually get two bolts in one plate and if the surface is flat maybe more.   I cut the plates, clamp them in place and then scribe off the square holes. Then drill the holes on the drill press and file the corners out square.  Of course all painting is done before final assembly.  :twocents-mytwocents:

And :text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

• Like 3

boesabot

Great idea I will definitely consider it got to make it more rugged.  I made little progress this evening I got a rough pattern in place and trying to get it in shape it won't be identical but hopefully close enough for satisfaction. I would prefer to have a old deck and cut and piece but I figured I would try my hand

20161208_175737.jpg

20161208_175752.jpg

20161208_173913.jpg

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

:text-coolphotos:     Looks good.

Sarge

Here's a tip - don't flame cut sheet metal you plan to mold into a shape - you seriously risk cracking that hardened outside edge along the cut . Oxy system cutting produces an insanely hard edge that can become quite brittle as you try to work it . Just don't get in a rush to weld it on and spread that heat out very slowly - if you can't lay your hand on it you're going too fast .

Sarge

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Impressive.

If i may, i would like to suggest using this product for the underside of the deck once you have it together. I used it on a heavily rusted MTD [cheap steel that was rusting in layers] and it worked wonders. It is not really too fussy to apply and it cures hard. I got mine at Rural King. Use gloves, because it will have to wear off your hands as it ain't coming off any other way. http://www.agriguardcoatings.com/agriguard-rust-coater.html

The gray color costs more than the black, but is sunlight resistant

• Like 1

Zeek

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Anglo Traction

Great start you've made with the Patch job :thumbs:. I'll also be following your progress.

I'm also into refurbing my first Deck and encountering new challenges as I go (UK based).

Won't attempt any thread hijack, so just a link to my project which is on hold until next month-   -Link-

• Like 1

boesabot

Had a chance to finish the lift studs/hangers today 

20161209_140644.jpg

20161209_140641.jpg

20161209_140637.jpg

• Like 1

Cole J.

Nice project, I'm going to eventually start working on my deck, so I will be interested in following your progress.  

cleat

Did you make those trunnions ?

They look perfect.

Cleat