nigel

K 91 help no spark

nigel

Had a look at my engine today I cannot get a spark I've cleaned the points , had the flywheel off and cleaned everything, magnets are good, still nothing, now what I want to know is there are 2 black wires ! Where do these go cos I think someone has been playing with them a diagram from one of you boys would be very helpfull cos it's got me stumped🙁 Or is there anything else it could be ? Thanks Nigel

Racinbob

One goes to ground and the other to the condenser. The condenser has been removed from the holder in this picture. From the condenser it runs to the points and kill button. Check the resistance from the plug wire to one of the black wires. Use the 20,000 ohm scale. Ideally it should be under 6 ohms. :)

K91 Ignition 1 002.jpg

• Like 5

nigel

That's great but have you a pict of the points end please anyone

chris sutton

Have you changed the ht lead plug cap, ive had trouble with one of those.

Is the kill switch grounding out and killing the spark,

have you tested the condenser.

is the point gap right.

are the points opening and closing

• Like 2

nigel

It's the black wires that are the problem I think they are wired up wrong at the points end chris, I've checked all the things you have mentioned 

Racinbob

Hopefully somebody will come along with a picture for you. I really don't see how they could be wired wrong. There's only one terminal. You may have two wires going to it. One from the condenser and one for the kill switch. Try disconnecting the kill switch wire.  If the coil checked out OK and what Chris suggested I would get a new spark plug too. :)

I just grabbed this picture. The wire lands on the post pointing down. You probably have a screw rather than the post.

points.jpg

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

wallfish

Hey Nigel, probably best if you can post a pic of your engine so we can see what's going on.

A second wire run from this same contact at the condenser or from the points is where a kill wire would be connected.

The 2 small wires from the coil are primary and secondary. The longer wire connects to the condenser.

Also make sure the plug wire is completely inserted into the coil itself. There is a little pin in the bottom of that hole which sends spark through the wire. The plug wire can be replaced without replacing the coil so there's no harm in pulling it out if needed but best to epoxy it back in so it doesn't come loose.

5849973ea68f6_K91Ignition1002.thumb.jpg.20b6a3f28fa78e4aad4f20524ff9f89b.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2

nigel

Thanks for all your help I've sorted it, I pulled all the wires out and they was broke so I rewired now I've got a good spark 👍🏻

• Like 2