T-Mo

My "New" 520-H

T-Mo
17 minutes ago, dclarke said:

Wow, what a nice 520, T-Mo... Sounds like you went right by me going up I-55 in Illinois. I'm just 3 miles east of exit 82, just south of Springfield. There is a truck stop there with a Subway.  I'd also like to see more pics of that 520 when you get to it. Enjoy. 

I think the pictures of the tractor on my trailer were taken at the Phillips 66 at Farmersville, maybe exit 72?  It had a Subway there and I think the station was called Jack Flash.

• Like 1

Tankman
2 hours ago, Terry M said:

Easily fixed by a cyber trip to REDOYOURHORSE.COM   :)   

:text-yeahthat:Been there many times! The bestest!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

WH-Onan+Steer+Decals.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??
10 hours ago, RMCIII said:

stopped in to see Steve

He has been known to get perturbed when rustling on his turf and you don't stop in for a sip....

Nice one...VERY clean! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Well I just got home a figured I'd post a pic of my tag placement, and for all purposes if headlights are behind me I'm pretty sure it's lit up as the plate is reflective as well as the red/white stripe tape,Jeff...and yes for its age that 520 is super nice...

IMAG2638.jpg

• Like 2

WHX??

Ok you guys got me confused on this trailer plate thingy... here in WI we don't have plates on utility trailers, just the big ones. Must be a state thing?  The DMV/DOT can really make money on those! Remind me to tell you the story sometime of how I got  stopped :law-policered: in IN & almost got cuffed & stuffed  for no plates on my brand new  tandem while going to the BS this year!

Anyway Mo I forgot to mention it looks like the PO favored Fram filters and the consensus here seems to be :angry-nono: on the Frams? I used to be a Fram man till I was schooled that OEM Toro or WIX/NAPA are  preferred. Maybe @squonk can chime in it, he's cut a few different brands open for inspection.

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Nice haul! Looks like a clean machine. Here in Pa. the plate must remain on the fender where the light illuminates it at night. I however have mine wire tied to the back gat with black wire ties. The sun doesn't deteriorate them as bad.

• Like 2

dclarke
4 hours ago, T-Mo said:

I think the pictures of the tractor on my trailer were taken at the Phillips 66 at Farmersville, maybe exit 72?  It had a Subway there and I think the station was called Jack Flash.

Yes, now that I look at the pics closer that is Farmersville. Been in there several times. 

• Like 1

ACman

@WHX9 , yes every state is different with "trailer laws" . It's a good idea if you're crossing state lines to check their laws for trailers , could save you some grief from the lawmen :law-policered: .

Don't mean to take over your thread T-MO...looking forward to more  :text-coolphotos: .

• Like 2

squonk

Get rid of the Frams. Engine Napa 1762. Trans Napa 1410

• Like 2

Toro Bill

T-Mo,

how many hours?  Sure is a beauty. 

• Like 1

boesabot

Sweet tractor I got my raider in Pontiac Illinois as well to bad its not as clean. I lived in chenoa for a couple of years and did a deal with a fella for it. I'm in Mississippi now man I bet it was cold to bad wheel horse is practically unheard of here

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

T-Mo, what I did to my trailer was mount the licence plate to the fender. Instead of horizontal, I mounted it vertical and bent it to match the shape of the fender. Drilled four holes and attached it with 1/4" rivets. It's not coming off unless somebody has a drill! Been running it this way for quite a few years. 

Guess I better get my butt over there and pick up the 401. Feel free to move it out to make room for the new ride!

RAndy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 2

1995 520H+96+97

T-Mo, what is the orange thing behind the gas filter? The license plate problem, solution is enclosed trailer.

T-Mo
13 hours ago, WHX9 said:

Ok you guys got me confused on this trailer plate thingy... here in WI we don't have plates on utility trailers, just the big ones. Must be a state thing?  The DMV/DOT can really make money on those! Remind me to tell you the story sometime of how I got  stopped :law-policered: in IN & almost got cuffed & stuffed  for no plates on my brand new  tandem while going to the BS this year!

Anyway Mo I forgot to mention it looks like the PO favored Fram filters and the consensus here seems to be :angry-nono: on the Frams? I used to be a Fram man till I was schooled that OEM Toro or WIX/NAPA are  preferred. Maybe @squonk can chime in it, he's cut a few different brands open for inspection.

I'm not a Fram guy myself.  I've seen and heard too many horror stories on Fram filters.  But, it does show the PO did care about maintenance if he kept the boxes plus put notes all over the manual stating part numbers, and other thingys.

11 hours ago, Toro Bill said:

T-Mo,

how many hours?  Sure is a beauty. 

Just hit a 1000 hours.

2 hours ago, 1995 520H+96+97 said:

T-Mo, what is the orange thing behind the gas filter? The license plate problem, solution is enclosed trailer.

That is some sort of wire tie or another type of tie.  I'm not sure what it's there for though.

9 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

T-Mo, what I did to my trailer was mount the licence plate to the fender. Instead of horizontal, I mounted it vertical and bent it to match the shape of the fender. Drilled four holes and attached it with 1/4" rivets. It's not coming off unless somebody has a drill! Been running it this way for quite a few years. 

Guess I better get my butt over there and pick up the 401. Feel free to move it out to make room for the new ride!

RAndy

I moved it to a lower shed, so it's still inside out of the weather.  We need to make some plans to transfer it over to you.

11 hours ago, squonk said:

Get rid of the Frams. Engine Napa 1762. Trans Napa 1410

Agree, no more Fram filters on this thing.  And thanks for the Napa part numbers also.

• Like 1

Sarge

Be aware that some of the law enforcement folks aren't too keen on vertically oriented plates and will start looking for other things to potentially ticket - like weight restrictions and classification . I'll post up a pic of how mine is mounted and how I modified the expanded metal ramp on my 6-1/2' x 12' utility . US Cargo had originally used the el cheapo lights on it with that stupid plastic plate mount - that lost the temporary tag on the way home from the trailer dealer in Indiana where I bought it , probably coming across I-80 through the rough Chicago area . I learned a valuable lesson that day about the expanded metal ramps on those as well - it's a huge aerodynamic drag on the tow vehicle , far more than one would expect . That expanded metal is worse than a solid faced ramp and traps a percentage of the air passing by and creating an amazing drag load on the vehicle . I cut mine in half and added a secondary heavy hinge so it can fold in two and lay flat on the rear 2' of the trailer deck - cuts the wind load to nearly nothing and still can handle the heavy D without an issue .

Do you plan to just use the 520 as is or do a light resto ?

Sarge

• Like 1

T-Mo
8 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Be aware that some of the law enforcement folks aren't too keen on vertically oriented plates and will start looking for other things to potentially ticket - like weight restrictions and classification . I'll post up a pic of how mine is mounted and how I modified the expanded metal ramp on my 6-1/2' x 12' utility . US Cargo had originally used the el cheapo lights on it with that stupid plastic plate mount - that lost the temporary tag on the way home from the trailer dealer in Indiana where I bought it , probably coming across I-80 through the rough Chicago area . I learned a valuable lesson that day about the expanded metal ramps on those as well - it's a huge aerodynamic drag on the tow vehicle , far more than one would expect . That expanded metal is worse than a solid faced ramp and traps a percentage of the air passing by and creating an amazing drag load on the vehicle . I cut mine in half and added a secondary heavy hinge so it can fold in two and lay flat on the rear 2' of the trailer deck - cuts the wind load to nearly nothing and still can handle the heavy D without an issue .

Do you plan to just use the 520 as is or do a light resto ?

Sarge

I plan on using the 520 as is.

The fact that the expanded metal on the ramp gates traps a lot of air is the reason why I sold my last trailer and bought this one, as this one allows the ramp gate to be laid inside the bed when empty.  Also, I bought the trailer with a 2 foot dove tail and a 3 foot ramp gate, so when I do have the gate up it won't be as much of an air drag.

TDF5G

It is correct that vehicle/license laws vary from state to state.  MO has recently implemented lifetime tags for trailers.  I received my new lifetime tags from Jefferson City (I mail in the renewal) for both of my trailers just yesterday.  The new tag (sticker) has a P on it instead of the expiration date.  

In MO you have to watch for the DOT guys who are looking for violations with trucks and trailers.  Around here they seem to go after the commercial vehicles though.  But I've heard stories of them stopping private vehicles.  They look for things like lights, safety chains, hitches, tires, tags, load secure, weight requirements and things of that nature.   They sit along roads and truck traffic areas like the police wait for speeders.  Usually in dark colored, late model, pickups and SUVs with dark tinted windows.  They carry portable scales to check weight.

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 2

Sarge

Iowa DOT enforcement does the same thing - I got nailed for weight on my last smaller trailer once but it was just a warning at nearly 800lbs over plate limit . There was so much confusion when they talked to Illinois DOT on that trailer classification he let it go - I'd been sitting there an hour and traffic was getting a bit crazy on I-80 that day . I keep my trailer well lit and even wired it for full 7-wire for brakes and reverse flood lamps mounted underneath the rear deck - sure helps with backing up at night .

My US Cargo wasn't built to fold the ramp down flat either - it is now with a simple change to how the hinge point is mounted . It can be positioned straight up with half folded down , flat on the deck in full length and flat on the deck in half length . Sure works a lot better than stock . I need to work on the corners , hate the way they designed it and the flexes far too much and may weaken the metal frame the way it's built . I've already ground out at least 20 welds and re-welded them properly - I hate people using migs that either don't care or don't understand what they're doing . By the time I got home it had 8 or 9 welds cracked the day I bought it but the pricing was much cheaper and working with steel is not a problem . Should have just built my own like the last one but I needed it quick and iron prices were through the roof with no decent local suppliers .

I am totally floored how many like-new tractors are being bought/sold lately - that 520 is an amazing example and makes me want to find one now - lol .

Sarge

• Like 1

T-Mo
21 minutes ago, TDF5G said:

It is correct that vehicle/license laws vary from state to state.  MO has recently implemented lifetime tags for trailers.  I received my new lifetime tags from Jefferson City (I mail in the renewal) for both of my trailers just yesterday.  The new tag (sticker) has a P on it instead of the expiration date.  

In MO you have to watch for the DOT guys who are looking for violations with trucks and trailers.  Around here they seem to go after the commercial vehicles though.  But I've heard stories of them stopping private vehicles.  They look for things like lights, safety chains, hitches, tires, tags, load secure, weight requirements and things of that nature.   They sit along roads and truck traffic areas like the police wait for speeders.  Usually in dark colored, late model, pickups and SUVs with dark tinted windows.  They carry portable scales to check weight.

Since I lost my trailer plates Wednesday, and since it was time to renew anyways, I got a lifetime tag for it yesterday.  Now to figure out how to mount it properly without it becoming lost again.  I also have a small 4 x 8 HF trailer that had it's license renewed yesterday, but I didn't get lifetime plate for it as I'm not sure if I'll keep it, though I have had it now for 5 and half years.  Small enough to pull around the yard and to pull behind my Jeep Liberty, but too small for 4 foot decks or tractors with wheel weights.  My JD 316 barely fit on it with wheel weights.

• Like 1

Sarge

I'll get a pic for you - really don't like where I had to put it , but it works and isn't going to come off easily . Biggest issue is it needing a lamp at night and the way I changed to the led tail lamps at the rear - I hate those square lamps forward of the back of the trailer - it puts them into an area where they may not be seen and I pull mine a lot in very bad weather conditions .

Sarge

• Like 1

Sarge

Here you go T-Mo

US Cargo utility trailer gate detail.jpg

If you want any further detail on how the bi-fold hinges are built and how the gate works , let me know as I don't want to pollute your beautiful 520 with my ugly , needing paint job trailer....lol .

Sarge

• Like 1

TDF5G

I'm not sure if a lamp is required on a trailer plate in MO.  It is for a vehicle I know.  Research required.

T-Mo
6 hours ago, TDF5G said:

I'm not sure if a lamp is required on a trailer plate in MO.  It is for a vehicle I know.  Research required.

According to this, lights for the license plate are required for Missouri trailers.

https://trailers.com/state-laws/missouri.php

https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-441.pdf

• Like 1

Sparky

Beautiful tractor. All those notes scribbled on the paperwork shows the previous owner took care of it....great find for you! 

So did the guys at the JD dealer where ya got it tell you all about it or did you school them on all its features....I would think you knew more than they did :lol: .

Are you in the market for "winter" attachments now.....two stage blower or a plow with the 520 extension kit?

Mike....

T-Mo
6 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Beautiful tractor. All those notes scribbled on the paperwork shows the previous owner took care of it....great find for you! 

So did the guys at the JD dealer where ya got it tell you all about it or did you school them on all its features....I would think you knew more than they did :lol: .

Are you in the market for "winter" attachments now.....two stage blower or a plow with the 520 extension kit?

Mike....

I did leave them with a bit of Wheel Horse history, for sure.

As for the snow blower, that would be cool, but it wouldn't see much action here in my part of Missouri.  But it would be a neat addition and maybe down the road, who knows.

• Like 1