jellyghost

Craftsman Jack for WH

jellyghost

I bought a Craftsman jack, and I couldn't get it to work.  The jack has a C-shaped piece of metal that is supposed to cup the front wheel arms.  Unfortunately, there is a little triangle of metal keeping the cup from moving around the wheel arm as the tractor rises.  I dropped the WH a few times while figuring this out!  Does anyone have a way to make this jack work?  Do you have a different jack suggestion?

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

Ed Kennell

I had the same problem with one of these lifts.    They were designed to lift the tractors with the front tubular bumpers.   The WH front axles are too wide to securely stay in the small Cs on the lift.   I considered welding on  larger Cs, but I sold mine and just use my floor jack.

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
57 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I had the same problem with one of these lifts.    They were designed to lift the tractors with the front tubular bumpers.   The WH front axles are too wide to securely stay in the small Cs on the lift.   I considered welding on  larger Cs, but I sold mine and just use my floor jack.

I always use the floor jack to. 

Glenn

• Like 1

daveoman1966

I use a 1-ton chain hoist.  Picks the tractor up to almost vertical to remove / sharpen mower blades. Works lots easier and quicker than a floor jack, which I sometimes use as well.

• Like 1

Marv

I use a Harbor Freight motorcycle jack.

Marvin

jellyghost

How do you use a simple floor jack?  Is it centered under the front wheel system?

Sparky
6 hours ago, jellyghost said:

How do you use a simple floor jack?  Is it centered under the front wheel system?

That is correct, you do need to make sure you don't touch the front axle grease zerk or it will be snapped off.

Mike.........

• Like 1

daveoman1966
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

That is correct, you do need to make sure you don't touch the front axle grease zerk or it will be snapped off.

Mike.........

Whis is why I use the Chain Hoist....  

• Like 1

Sarge

On some jacks it's not hard to remove the swivel plate and figure out what size tubing fits tightly - build a spreader bar with either fixed or sliding saddles out of square tubing . I need to make a new one as soon as I either fix this stupid , junk Chinese/Craftsman aluminum jack's cylinder valves or replace it - probably with a Hein-Warner instead if I can find a used US made one - seems now they are built in China and still carry the name - like everything else .

Here's a spreader bar for ideas -

https://www.amazon.com/Cross-Floor-Adapter-holds-Extends/dp/B002LGLXM0

Sarge

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Regardless of the type of device used to lift, always use jack stands before placing any body parts under a suspended load.

When the standard jack stands won't fit or get in the way, I have made pairs of supports of different lengths from 8" PVC pipe that work under the tires or frame. 

This makes a very stable platform.   Just remember to lock the parking brake and/or block the wheels.

• Like 1