Toro Bill

520H Lift Cylinder

Toro Bill

Hey everyone, I bought a 1991 520H this past summer with around 2500-3000 hours (says 25xx, but remember a brief time it didn't work) on it from a family friend and neighbor. I have been around this tractor since it was bought brand new. It has always had Mobile 1 10-30 in both engine and tranny and been regularly maintained. 

Around 1996 a 2 stage 44" blower was added to it and it began its year around use. For as long as I can remember the lift cylinder has been extremely cold blooded.  At 70 degrees it will lift the deck within a second or two after starting, at 40 degrees might take 10-20 seconds, in winter it can take 3-5 MINUTES before it will lift.  I'll usually start the tractor, go shovel the walkways, shovel around the garage doors and by then it will usually lift, after it lifts up the first time it's good to go. 

Forward and reverse don't seem to be affected, it will move, and reving it up will not make it engage faster.  You can actually hear the pump ever so slightly groan like its "coming into it"/ engaging/ moving fluid. 

Wonder if its just the nature of the beast or if others have dealt with this problem. 

Thanks for your help, Bill

Ed Kennell

First of all  :text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:   Bill.

This warm up period on the lifts  seems to vary with the Eaton 1100 hydros for no apparent reason.  

My '88 520H  lifts immediately and my '95 312H requires as much as 5 minutes when cold.

Like yours, the tractor F/R  works instantly.

Others have reported the same problem.  Seems it is just a quirk we have to live with.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

MalMac

This is normall, like said in prior post. It does vary from tractor to tractor. Keep using the mobile 1. Many on here, myself included have found that it helps out somewhat. There was a service bulletin on this. I don't quite remember what it said. Just let it warm up. That Onan will appreciate it also.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

From the 1991 520-H operator manual

Garry

1991 520-H cpld trans warmup.jpg

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:bow-blue:    GARRY the MAGNIFICANT   has the answer again. :text-bravo:

• Like 1

1995 520H+96+97

In the manuals, there is a troubleshooting chart. :text-welcomeconfetti::rs:

WHX??

:WRS: Bill ... Yes always let it warm up good before blowing, mine is the same way & transmission whines more when cold. Some of the fellas here say it's better to use Mob 1 Synthetic as that helps but I can neither confirm nor deny that, seems the same to me.  That's what I run in all my horses so I don't have 30 different types of oil to stock! :huh:

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 1

Toro Bill

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like it is what it is, which is fine, seems like plenty of others and even Toro recognize this as normal for this tranny.  As parts get harder to find, I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. 

What a great site that has been built here, as many of us know finding local people with info on these great machines is getting more difficult, what a huge resource this is! :text-bravo:

• Like 1

bobert94

Yeah my 520 has the same issue even a slightly heated garage it takes a min or two, has anyone tried a lower vis oil (0w20 or 5w20) with any success?. its only purpose in life is to push the two stage around in winter. i already have mobil one 10w30 in it

squonk

You can buy a magnetic engine block heater and stick it on the bottom of the transaxle to help keep the oil warmer between snows. Just remember to take it off the tractor before using it. 

Hacksawhero123

If you have an electric hot plate, put it on the floor under it at about 3/4 hot setting for a couple of hours. I've done this with "old" Harley barn bikes that were stuck from setting for decades. Also Works pretty well for heating bearing races or shafts to make press fit stuff easier. 

Mark. 

Edited by Hacksawhero123