Ian928

Size of Tie-rod, 1054

gwest_ca

Nuts item 29 and 30 are 1/2"-20 which is a common fine SAE thread.

For years the smaller versions were called a throttle ball joint.

This one is called a rod end and may be what you are looking for.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-2-in-20-nf-rod-end-with-stud/A-p3870013e

Garry

Ian928

Ahhh logic! Why didn't I see that!

Thank you very much!

wheelhorseman

Wasn't the original tie rod ends 1/2" female x 3/8" male like the GT-14's????

• Like 1

gwest_ca
41 minutes ago, wheelhorseman1000 said:

Wasn't the original tie rod ends 1/2" female x 3/8" male like the GT-14's????

You may be correct.

The online parts lists show the nuts as being the same 1/2"-20 for the 1054.

When you go to the original parts lists for the 1054 and 1054A they are 3/8"-24 and 1/2"-20.

When you go to the original parts lists for the 953 they only show a 1/2"-20 at the front of the drag link. No nut shown for the back at the pitman arm.

Garry

Ian928

It seems I need to get out and check on the tractor to be sure.

Hmmm I do have some of the old steering linkage from my D-200 that we modified to power steering from a (am I allowed to write this here?) John Deere. Maybe I have a Tie-rod in the correct dimension already?

On the other hand, I would like to order a new one as I am ordering some other parts from "Wheelhorseman1000" anyway. The steering on the D-200 live a hard life...

Sarge

Another option is these guys and the use of heim joints/rod ends -

http://www.qscomponents.com/

They sell quality components to build whatever you need - dom tubing , threaded insert bungs and some very nice rod ends . Steinjager also makes a very nice rod end boot to be used with high misalignment rod end spacers for more range and angle and keep dirt and debris out of them . They will outlast a ball type pressed ball joint 10:1 easily and handle far more thrust as well as less drag on the steering . Not hard to build , a length of dom tubing in the right size range , a few threaded inserts , some measuring with the rod ends installed and some light welding . Can't tell you how many of these I've built when we raced dirt track cars in Modified and Late Model classes - everything including the throttle and trans linkage was made using these parts . Some installed pics of the D's steering system rebuild and axle upgrade/overhaul are here -

Steinjager's site is a pain to navigate - easier to call them to order what you want and they are located in Bushnell , Illinois -

http://steinjager.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=29196&search=&tierOne=Universal&page=6&limit=100

There is a whole slew of sizes available - the boots are designed according to rod end thread size to the linkage rod and the bored hole for the bolt - easy to figure out .

Sarge

GlenPettit

Take a look at what Red Square vender Lowell (www.WheelHorseMan100.com) has for your tie-rods,

also listed in the Venders section here, he is offering a lot more parts now, including most tie-rods, I

think he has exactly what you're looking for:

• Like 1

Sarge

Lowell makes some absolutely outstanding parts , just fyi for those that wonder . I have gotten several things from him , not one complaint yet and I'm about as picky as they come....

Sarge

• Like 1