moe1965

Snow blower. Question

moe1965

This will be my first year using a tractor powered snowblower .   it's a wheel horse raider 10.  my question is how important is it to use rear weights for traction.   I have a asphalt  drive don't get many drifts and a heavy snow fall would be about 8 to 10 inches around here.   it has turf tires on it as well.   thanks  in advance. happy plowing

Edited by moe1965

Ed Kennell

Weight on the rear is almost a must when using a blower.   The additional cantilevered  weight of the blower makes the tractor light on the rear tires.  This can be a real problem if you have to back up an incline.  

I am sure others will offer advice  on the best way to add weight as it is a very popular topic.

IMO, the best is to fill the tires with window washer fluid,  second best add wheel weights, and thirdly add weight in a properly designed rear weight rack.

On my blower and plow machine, I do all three as I  clear many steep driveways and I cannot afford to have any spinning chained wheels.

I have had great success with the rubber chains.

• Like 3

Lagersolut

I use wheel weights and hang suite case weights ( about  130 lbs ) off the rack for the grass bags with v bar chains - my D way is somewhat steep so going down isn't the problem....backing up and getting back up is .

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

Ed spelled it out very well. There is one thing to take into consideration with loading the tires with fluid. If you use that same tractor for mowing the additional weight will compress the turf.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3

cod

I'll second the above posts.  I filled my turf tires with water/antifreeze and even with the extra weight, if I don't put the chains on, there's no traction.

Also if your driveway is higher than the lawn, try not to drop the front tires off the edge of your driveway as the weight of the blower can make it difficult to get them back up.

Good luck - Cod

WVHillbilly520H

Kinda like this, fluild filled AG tires with chains,75# cast iron weights, 120+ # suitcase weights and a cab,Jeff.

Screenshot_2016-12-06-18-32-35.png

895_1.jpg

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:                 :text-+1:

All weighted down and chained up.

IMG_4137.JPG

Only a 2" snow on  Valentines day  but  Climbing a steep driveway.

IMG_3949.JPG

• Like 3

moe1965

Thanks for all info  I think the easiest thing for me the try would add weight to the back.  I added a hitch on  the back that I can easily make a bracket or a basket to add weight  to.   I work outside every day and repair water mains all winter long and really don't look forward to winter but this year is an exception.  looking forward to trying it out....

Edited by moe1965
  • Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

I would suggest chains and wheel weights (or loaded tires).  But if you have a hitch may my solution will work

Rear Weights.jpg

• Like 2