midpack

Anyone else hate the taste of gasoline?

midpack

not sure where to put this, but I'm thinking some of you guys might like it.

I like to drain the fuel, and run the carb out of gas on machines that will not be used for several months just to avoid problems. I've used a lot of different siphon methods and most of them aren't very good...

I came up with a handy dandy device made from one of those cheepo ($12 delivered off ebay) electric fuel pumps I love so much!  :)

now, don't judge the machine... it's done some valuable service over the years and is now dedicated to yard cleanup with an Agri Fab leaf collector wagon attached.

this is my initial test run to make sure it works, I plan to install an on/off toggle switch, inline fuel filter, longer fuel lines, and much longer wire to have the battery a little further away...  lol

the setup really kicks butt!! wish i had thought of this years ago

siphon pump resize.jpg

• Like 9

Retired Wrencher

midpack May I ask why do fell the need to drain the tank. I can see the carb. I think a good fuel stable would work.  Any way if  works for you and you have good luck with it go for it. How is everything in Southwick?

rmaynard

Whatever works to keep the gasoline out of your mouth.  :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 2

Terry M

Good idea!! :handgestures-thumbupright:    Just make sure your careful about clamping onto the battery near open fuel containers...:)

• Like 9

midpack
7 minutes ago, T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER. said:

midpack May I ask why do fell the need to drain the tank. I can see the carb. I think a good fuel stable would work.  Any way if  works for you and you have good luck with it go for it. How is everything in Southwick?

2 reasons... 1, i have a bunch of thirsty machines... lol 2, if this machine sits for 5 to 6 months, or longer, the fuel will be getting kind of stale...

2 minutes ago, Terry M said:

Good idea!! :handgestures-thumbupright:    Just make sure your careful about clamping onto the battery near open fuel containers...:)

yup. hence the plan for a toggle switch and longer wires :)

• Like 1

953 nut

:woohoo:             good idea, I have always used a 6' long clear plastic hose so I can see it coming, may do that myself. Also, good tip about totally removing all fuel for storage.  :thanks: 

WHX??

Real good idea! How many times have you guys drug a tractor home to discover that gas has got that old stale smell? Then to find out there is no petcock and you have to do the cut & get it in a jug real quick and make a hell of a mess!

I was always told to  go the the other way and top off the tank to prevent condensation (rust) forming in the tank. Metal ones anyway. any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

Achto
2 hours ago, WHX9 said:

I was always told to  go the the other way and top off the tank to prevent condensation (rust) forming in the tank. Metal ones anyway. any thoughts on this?

I was always told this also. Now I wonder though, here's why. My 1076 sat for 15+ yrs out side with an empty gas tank and float bowl. When I got it home the inside of the tank was clean & rust free, I had to wipe two specs of dirt out of the float bowl. After that all I did was add a battery & gas to get it running. On the other hand I have also had empty tanks that were rusty in side, so I'm not really sure how to call this one.

As far as the gasoline goes, a larger quantity of gas with a stabilizer in it will keep for a longer period of time. The small quantity like what's in the float bowl will not keep very long, maybe 6 months or so even with a stabilizer. I base this on storing motor cycles. In the spring many would not start until you drained the bowl & let gas from the tank fill it up again. Note I didn't say put fresh gas in, would be same gas that was in the tank when store. So shutting the gas off and letting the carb run dry is always a good idea.

ClassicTractorProfessor

I always stick a hose in the tank I'm wanting to drain and put a little air pressure on the tank (red rag and a blowgun works great) saves getting gas in my mouth, and if you think gas is bad get a little diesel in your mouth...everything you eat or drink for a week will taste like diesel 

• Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, Professor1990 said:

red rag and a blowgun works great

No wonder it wouldn't work for me, I was using the wrong color rag!     :ychain:

• Like 2

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

I always stick a hose in the tank I'm wanting to drain and put a little air pressure on the tank (red rag and a blowgun works great) saves getting gas in my mouth, and if you think gas is bad get a little diesel in your mouth...everything you eat or drink for a week will taste like diesel 

Just lower the hose to the bottom of the tank and seal it with a blue rag.  Then blow in the hose to pressurize the tank.  Lower the hose into your can and let it siphon. No air hose needed and no sucking, just a safer way.

KC9KAS
7 hours ago, WHX9 said:

That was my thought too!

I don't like the taste of gasoline, but diesel fuel is worse!

Now that I think of it, the worst taste I had while syphoning was ferric chloride...YUCK!

squonk

I drain out all the gas I can. Then I add the 4 cycle gas in a can like the sell at Lowes. Just enough to get it running and fill the bowl. Stuff has a 3 yr. shelf life.

WHX??
5 minutes ago, squonk said:

Stuff has a 3 yr. shelf life.

Or so they say Mike ...I'm hinging my bet that no one will have it in their machine for that long...well least not anyone here!

squonk

My OPE dealer swears by the stuff. This is a dealer who has been in business for 60 years. He talked me out of buying a new mower for my mom years ago because he knew she wouldn't like it. He sent me to a competitor because the model that guy had was easier for an older person to operate and get on and off of. His word is gold by me.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Siphoning gas is how I developed a taste for Scotch!  No, that not true.  I still hate Scotch!  ???

Edited by DennisThornton

Docwheelhorse

Did something similar for similar reasons...  couple suggestions.

1) mount pump on an 18" piece of 2x8

2) go to harbor freight and buy cheap siphone kit with squeeze ball. Put said squeeze ball on input side so you can "squeeze to prime". Cut most of output side hose off and re-attach to output side .

3) wire pump with cig lighter plug and use your jump pack to power it (alot easier to carry than a car battery)

Walla.... works great and you mouth can concentrate on processing a swig of beer not spitting out gas... lmao

Tony

Sarge

Somewhere around here I still have one of those hand cranked siphon pumps - wish I could find it and see if the dumb thing still works , I know at one time it would even pump gear oil if you could turn the crank and gasoline moved pretty fast through it ...

Good call on the electric pump/jump box - but need to replace my jumper box as it's shot internally .

Sarge

moe1965
On 12/5/2016 at 4:38 PM, squonk said:

I drain out all the gas I can. Then I add the 4 cycle gas in a can like the sell at Lowes. Just enough to get it running and fill the bowl. Stuff has a 3 yr. shelf life.

Boat fuel also has no alcohol in it and has a long shelf life same stuff they are selling in those little cans at Loews.   If you can find a place that sells it.  I also use boat fuel in my two stroke engines.  Adding the oil of corse.   The alcohol Is what kills those fuel lines and dries them up.    

Edited by moe1965

Cub fan

Everybody has great ideas so here is mine, I use a rubber hose and cut a small hole close to the end and use my air gun ,blow in the hose downward and the flow will start, works great for me.😄 😀

formariz

I use this little contraption called "simple siphon". You just shake it in the tank and it starts siphoning fluid. It works great. I just added a length of copper pipe to keep end of hose straight and rigid. I have two of them, one dedicated to gasoline, and the other one for kerosene.

IMG_1160.JPG.3107f2f836ea1ca80c7769b023aaa654.JPG

IMG_1161.JPG.32288e4b35d89552cba8add006cb7163.JPG

IMG_1162.JPG.848a3f306144fab9c5a2a79d5c0b3b86.JPG

• Like 2