dlaw90

Switching to Snowblower

dlaw90

I just bought a 314-8 with a plow yesterday. I'm trying to decide if I should buy a snowblower for my wheel horse or a walk behind snowblower. How much time/effort does it take to remove the plow and attach a snowblower? I plan to do most of my snow removal with the plow and use the snowblower for larger storms.

Walt

:WRS: I would figure it would take around 1/2 hour to remove blade and mount snow thrower. Now this is only my estimate since this is first year I have had both. Hell this first year I have even used the tractor I inherited in 2011. I have mounted and dismounted both a number of times this year working through different things so the tools needed and steps to change them are fresh in my mind. 

Edited by Walt
  • Like 3

JAinVA

I gave up pushing snow a few years back and the only front blade I had on my c120 I didn't like.It was a an adaptation of a another brand's make and was not mounted like the WH unit so I can't say how difficult it would be to remove the WH unit.My blower is easy to remove and install.I leave the flag attached and wire it to the mower deck lift.I also installed 8" wheels instead of skids and the blower rolls easily once removed.

JAinVa

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

dlaw90
10 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

My suggestion is to buy another tractor.  A tractor for each implement saves time and it's good to have a back up snow machine.  :)

IMG_5556.JPG

Haha I think I'll have to keep dreaming for now

36 minutes ago, Walt said:

:WRS: I would figure it would take around 1/2 hour to remove blade and mount snow thrower. Now this is only my estimate since this is first year I have had both. Hell this first year I have even used the tractor I inherited in 2011. I have mounted and dismounted both a number of times this year working through different things so the tools needed and steps to change them are fresh in my mind. 

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

I gave up pushing snow a few years back and the only front blade I had on my c120 I didn't like.It was a an adaptation of a another brand's make and was not mounted like the WH unit so I can't say how difficult it would be to remove the WH unit.My blower is easy to remove and install.I leave the flag attached and wire it to the mower deck lift.I also installed 8" wheels instead of skids and the blower rolls easily once removed.

JAinVa

That sounds like a good idea. Do you have any pictures?

JAinVA

Pictures of the blower with wheels.Not my idea but my take on another members idea. The flag I have no pictures of but once attached you'll want to keep it on year round.JAinVa

blower 1.JPG

blower 2.JPG

• Like 6

shallowwatersailor

We always have odd winters down here with snowfall compared to the snowbelt that I was accustomed to in the Midwast. My part of Maryland either has little to no snow (two succeeding winters in my seven here) or massive blizzards like last year with a 36" two day blizzard. The others were somewhat regular snowfall winters.

I find for a blizzard that I use my walk-behind as I have a single-stage snowthrower on my one tractor that has less capacity IMO. Our irregular snowfall just doesn't justify a two-stage with the additional storage/weight involved.. But I also have two tractors with blades that are ready I use them for the majority of snowfalls we have, plus cleanup after the walk-behind. One has a UMHW edge for the majority of use so I don't damage my neighbors driveways ( I do six neighbors drives as well as mine) but the other one has the steel edge for the occasional ice storm that we get. If the old snow pack gets too bad, I can use my Johnny Bucket to move snow around. For fun I also have a Simplicity walk-behind with a blade to play with.

• Like 4

pfrederi

Get a second tractor...laying on the cold and often wet floor to swap blade for blower during a snowstorm isn't my idea of a good time.

• Like 4

Sarge

I can swap from the blade to blower in about 15mins , that is with some practice but it works across all 3 models of long frames I have with no issues . I don't have the room to store the blower inside but it's always coated with a heavy shot of Fluid Film so it doesn't rust up or lock it's chain - no issues in 4yrs yet . I do keep a blade on at least one tractor year round since they come in handy for so many things .

Sarge

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I can't imagine anymore not having blade and blower ready on tractors.  Both attachments and WHs can be found to not break most banks.  If you can afford a tractor, blower and a blade for not much more you have another tractor.  I'd suggest making that the goal even if not possible for whatever reason right now.

• Like 7

doc724

I have, in the past used a plow, for close to 30 years.  The major drawback to a plow is that if you get a lot of snow, you will quickly run out of space to put it.  Even if you push the initial snowfall pile 10 feet in, it does not take long to get it to the point where you cannot put anymore.    WH plows do not lift very high so it is all but impossible to ramp the snow.  I live in SE MA so the snow we get is far less than in Maine, but it tends to be wetter so it is real tough to push.  After 30 years of plowing, I gave in and bought a tall chute single stage blower.  The only time when a plow is better is when you have snow that is mostly water.  The blower will clog. 

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat::text-goodpost:

DennisThornton
9 hours ago, doc724 said:

I have, in the past used a plow, for close to 30 years.  The major drawback to a plow is that if you get a lot of snow, you will quickly run out of space to put it.  Even if you push the initial snowfall pile 10 feet in, it does not take long to get it to the point where you cannot put anymore.    WH plows do not lift very high so it is all but impossible to ramp the snow.  I live in SE MA so the snow we get is far less than in Maine, but it tends to be wetter so it is real tough to push.  After 30 years of plowing, I gave in and bought a tall chute single stage blower.  The only time when a plow is better is when you have snow that is mostly water.  The blower will clog. 

Words of wisdom and experience folks!

If I might add 2 cents, I find that light snow falls clear up faster with the plow.  High gear and they disappear.  But then I'm back to saying that one really needs both blade and blower...

Edited by DennisThornton
can't spell...
  • Like 2

c-series don

Here we go again Dennis!!!

• Like 2

Sarge

If you want to ramp up the piles , use the wider 16x.6.50-8 tires or similar and set the blade second notch from the top or the top hole to tip it back - helps get the bottom off the ground further . I've built ramps nearly 5' high with the old 1277 and the '74 C-160 many times before I got the blower . I found out the other day that despite the weight the big D-180 will build ramps as well , just have to be careful not to drop the steer tires over the top or get too close - that will definitely get them stuck but good...had to use my '77 Land Cruiser last year to extricate the 1277 once ...

Sarge