Hacksawhero123

4 bolt front hubs

Hacksawhero123

Has anyone converted to 4 on 4" four bolt front hubs?  I'm wanting to do this to run 18x8x8 front tires. This is the standard golf cart size tire and wheel. Factory wheels and tires can be had cheep as everyone around here is jacking their carts up and upgrading rims. I found these hubs that will accept the 1 3/8" OD Wheel Horse bearings. Also wheel spacers are available as I need to space the larger tires away from my drive mule. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this and what results they had. Thanks!

Mark. 

IMG_3860.PNG

953 nut

I used regular trailer hubs from H.F. with 1" bearings and bushed the front spindles up from 3/4" to 1". I didn't use the wide tires though. Are your spindles 5/8"?

Hacksawhero123

My spindles are 3/4" so I would have to swap in the Wheel Horse 1 3/8x 3/4" bearings. 953Nut, where did you find your 3/4x1" bushings"?

Mark. 

953 nut
19 minutes ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

where did you find your 3/4x1" bushings"?

I picked them up at an industrial supply house. WW Grainger or McMaster Carr could have them or perhaps :techie-ebay:

Thor27

Another option is to use a golf cart hub. You would have to run a 3/4-16 die on the spindle, grind the welds off the wheel back stop and weld on a 3/4 x 1-1/8 stand off bushing to meet the seal.  Doesn't appear to be a seal on the ones you show?

I did this, but chose not to use them as a 520 axle became available to me. The hubs don't appear very heavy duty but I've stood my old v twin old club car on the bumper many many times.

Edited by Thor27
added second paragraph
  • Like 1

wallfish
24 minutes ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

where did you find your 3/4x1" bushings"?

DOM steel tube is less than $12 for a one foot piece at this place. (1st link)You can shop around too.

Use a small piece of 1.25 OD x  .12 wall to use for the inside seal if using trailer hubs (2nd link).

If your spindles don't have a threaded hole in the end, probably best to put some in if you're going the bushing and trailer hub upgrade.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=7339&step=4&showunits=inches&id=250&top_cat=197

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=7339&step=4&showunits=inches&id=250&top_cat=197

DOM tube is handy to have around and can be used as a bushing itself by drilling and inserting grease zerks. All the pivot points on my backhoe were made using DOM tube and steel rod.

• Like 3

Thor27

BTW.  I like the way 954 nut and wallfish described better!

Hacksawhero123

Got it. Guys, thanks so much for taking the time to write up an explanation. I appreciate it. 

Mark. 

953 nut
9 hours ago, Thor27 said:

golf cart hub. You would have to run a 3/4-16 die on the spindle, grind the welds off the wheel back stop and weld on a 3/4 x 1-1/8 stand off bushing to meet the seal.

Thanks for mentioning that; bit of an oversight on my part. I used the hubs on a 953 and they are already set up for the tapered bearing.

953 ans 400 at the fair.jpg

• Like 2

Sarge

Read this thread for upgrade ideas....

Sarge

callum12

sorry for the late reply, I upgraded mine, 

I brought stub axles for a trailer, cut off the stub, centre drilled 3/4" (the diameter of the axle spindle) I then had to cut the spindle down a little to get it on far enough. I then welded the stub axle shaft onto the WH spindle and reassembled the hub, job done. the stub axles were about £55. 

large.IMG_8256.JPG

hope this helps,

Callum

Hacksawhero123

Callum, I had not thought of boring out a stub. It's a great idea. If I had a lathe (or the first idea how to use it), I would get right to it. I greatly appreciate the input from all of you. 

Mark. 

callum12
2 hours ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

Callum, I had not thought of boring out a stub. It's a great idea. If I had a lathe (or the first idea how to use it), I would get right to it. I greatly appreciate the input from all of you. 

Mark. 

I've got a lathe but I approached an engineering company first, they charged £12 for both! cheaper than buying the drill bit!! 

all the best,

Callum :) 

Hacksawhero123

That's a thought. One of my customers is a machine shop. I'll wander over and ask them about it. Thanks Callum. 

Mark