gt4

wheelhorse c120

gt4

Can anyone tell me how long a wheelhorse c120 is with a snow plow on it and off it, and also  are they a decent tractor ?  Thanks.

953 nut

Check out page 5 of the sales flyer.  With snow plow it will be a bit under 8'.

• Like 3

Racinbob

And yes, they are a fantastic tractor. :)

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

The  C-120 was my first :wh: tractor.    And after about 30 tractors, it is still my favorite worker.

• Like 3

DennisThornton

Just bought my first 12hp today!  C-121 Automatic.  I'm going to like it!

• Like 5

gt4

Good to know. Hopefully if i buy it tomorrow i will have pictures.

• Like 5

gt4

Well i ended up buying this c120 and it sounds great and feels real solid and strong. It's my first tractor with a high low range. Now if i can hunt a brinley plow down i can get to one of these meet and greet plow days! Could someone help tell me what year this is by the tag numbers. I posted a picture of it .Thanks

20161205_151342.jpg

20161205_151412.jpg

20161205_151357.jpg

20161205_151334.jpg

20161205_151447.jpg

20161205_151438.jpg

20161205_154705.jpg

• Like 5

Racinbob

That would be a 1976 :)

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

She looks good....nice straight tin.  Is that original paint and decals?     You may have to clean up the wiring and clean all terminals and connections.

Is the plow frame connected to the transmission/ frame plate at the rear?

gt4
5 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

She looks good....nice straight tin.  Is that original paint and decals?     You may have to clean up the wiring and clean all terminals and connections.

Is the plow frame connected to the transmission/ frame plate at the rear?

Ed, i see some faint paint runs so i would say someone touched up some spots, and yes it is connected to the transmission/frame plate. Is that not a good thing?

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

No, that should be fine. The force on the plate from the plow is actually pushing the frame plate tighter to the tranny.  If it were pulling and adding tension to the 4 3/8" bolts, then I would be concerned but this is not the case.

I could see it wasn't connected to an axle bracket like a normal WH plow  frame.    I assumed it had a pin thru the two holes at the bottom of tranny/frame plate.

I like that plow centering bracket on the front...using the frame of an old mule drive.  I made a similar bracket for the front of my plow on my 312.IMG_5536.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

That snow plow confuses me.  Would loved to see more pics of how it attaches from the rear.

Not to highjack this thread but as proof of my earlier post:

And Gary, you really should charge for your services!

C-121 12-4-2016 weights.jpg

C-121 12-4-2016 left 2.jpg

C-121 12-4-2016 right.jpg

• Like 3

gt4
14 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

That snow plow confuses me.  Would loved to see more pics of how it attaches from the rear.

Not to highjack this thread but as proof of my earlier post:

And Gary, you really should charge for your services!

C-121 12-4-2016 weights.jpg

C-121 12-4-2016 left 2.jpg

C-121 12-4-2016 right.jpg

Hey Dennis, is there much difference between the c120 and c121?

DennisThornton

I don't have a C-120 to compare it to but I'm sure there's not much difference.  I'm also sure that others who know far more than I will point out the differences for both of us!

One thing that I was hoping for was hydraulics.  And a sleeve hitch.  But, for what I paid...  Just seemed odd to see the weights and just a deck.

Edit:

I do not have a C-120 but I do have a C-160 but I couldn't have answered with any better info and certainly not as well as these other forum member!  Interesting that there a more differences than I suspected!  But still nothing major to me...

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

C-xx0 has a narrow hoodstand and fuel tank under the rear of the hood.

C-xx1 has a hoodstand as wide as the dash housing with the fuel tank under the rear fender pan.

Garry

• Like 3

oldredrider

One major difference between the two models is the cradle mount motor on the C-121. The C-120 has a flat base engine.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

The 121 has the rocker plate engine mount and the fuel tank under the seat.  Fixed fender/seat pan with forward flip seat.

The C-120 has solid engine mount and fuel tank in the hood stand.  Seat is fixed to the fender that flips to the rear.

The 1974 -75 C-120s came with a Kohler or Tecumseh engine.   The C121s were  Kohler only.

OOPs I didn't see Garry and Pauls earlier posts.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

tunahead72

In addition to what Garry, Paul and Ed have already noted, the C-xx1 has larger side panels to protect the wiring, battery, fuel line, etc.  You'll also notice the battery is in a different location.

--------

EDIT:  I forgot to mention, you can see more photos in the "Wheel Horse Picture Gallery" section.

Edited by tunahead72
  • Like 2

daveoman1966

i PREFER THE c-120 FOR ALL THE SAME REASONS AS THE OTHER GUYS.  Whats more, the c-120 is just plain SIMPLER.  It has less sheet metal to deal with when repairs become needed, less electronic gadgets/swithches, more reliable fuel system, no shaker mount..on and one and on. 

• Like 3

tunahead72

Fair enough, and all good points.

Both tractors are on my short list of "Wheel Horses that might one day replace one of my other Wheel Horses if the time comes".  I like them both, as well as the C-141, and right now "simpler" is ahead by just a hair.

• Like 1

gt4
22 hours ago, gt4 said:

Hey Dennis, is there much difference between the c120 and c121?

Dennis here's how that snowplow hooks up under the tractor

20161206_142319.jpg

20161206_142246.jpg

20161206_142233.jpg

• Like 4

Racinbob

So we don't confuse you @gt4  note that 1975 was the last year for the tilt up rear fender. The 76 and 77's were affixed solid and the seat flipped up like yours. :)

• Like 3

Sarge

One of my favorites is the C-160 from '74-'75 , very simple , huge torque/hp and amazingly rugged tractor . That series Sundstands were also quite tough despite most never received proper care and oil changes . Mine has been a small bull dozer around here...

Sarge

• Like 1

clueless
On 12/6/2016 at 3:18 PM, daveoman1966 said:

i PREFER THE c-120 FOR ALL THE SAME REASONS AS THE OTHER GUYS.  Whats more, the c-120 is just plain SIMPLER.  It has less sheet metal to deal with when repairs become needed, less electronic gadgets/swithches, more reliable fuel system, no shaker mount..on and one and on. 

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2